Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times

Advertisements

I found out more about the company, and based on what everyone is saying here, and based on what I am learning about the company, I am deciding that in this case, short may not mean much (not that it never would!).

There are apparently some politics going on between the leadership and the staff, and based on who was at the interview, I think that the people I would be working with, would not have wanted to talk much in front of some of the other people that were there. This is just my gut feeling, and I don't want to go into too much detail here just in case.

Anyway, I still have no idea if I am in the running, and I am interested, politics and all! I'll write again if I find out soon.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 05:31 AM

Well, it looks like the short interview was not a good sign........

Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Don't write it off to the length of the interview. Like others have said, they may have so many people to interview that they set it up like parent/teacher conference, i.e., 7 minutes per interview.

Try not to let the length of time freak you out or you will be very stressed and anxious in future interviews if you feel they are not long enough.

Good luck in your search. I hope you get something soon.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Don't write it off to the length of the interview. Like others have said, they may have so many people to interview that they set it up like parent/teacher conference, i.e., 7 minutes per interview.

Try not to let the length of time freak you out or you will be very stressed and anxious in future interviews if you feel they are not long enough.

Good luck in your search. I hope you get something soon.
Thank you! That's a good point. I was looking for signs of hope when I wrote this because I really wanted the job.

On to the next (today actually!).

Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I been on both ends

Some interviews were LONG and I didn't get the job and others were Short and I got the job

I learned that it's best not to overanalyze anything after a interview.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,709 times
I just had a job interview this morning, and even studied questions they might ask me before the actual interview. I sat down, showed them my portfolio, they told me a little about the company, they asked me about my current job, salary expectations, and basically told me when they would make their decision. The interview was literally 10 minutes long and was bummed that I couldnt answer other questions. Do you think it was bad that it was so short?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,696 times
In the experience of several people I know, short interviews are sometimes an indication that they already have someone picked for the job, but were required to post it and do so many interviews.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Generally short interviews are not a great sign, though there are exceptions. Anytime I've heard of a short interview having a positive result it has been when the position was entry level. If you are applying for a position where you are required to present a portfolio I would say it's probably not a good sign (and it may not have anything to do with you). Write your thank you notes to keep in good standing if future positions open and move on.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I agree, short interviews are much like short dates and that the interviewer had already made the decision and is not interested in hiring,

Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
My experience is if its a guy and he is the boss, its not always a bad thing. if it is HR, probably a bad sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search