Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I was told that if a woman wears a skirt-suit to an interview she is looked at differently/more favorably than if she wore a pant suit...Is this true? If so, WHY?

I always thought that as long as you looked professional then it didnt matter...
This worries me because I HATE skirts...I dont even own one. I'll be poking around for another job very soon, so this would be good to know
No, it kinda does matter, at least as long as interviewing deals with first impressions. In general, I'd say look at the industry you're interviewing in. Conservative industries like banking and education, wear a skirt with your suit. You can go one of two ways, if you don't own one of those sets with the blazer, skirt and suit, you can coordinate a plaid or striped skirt with a solid blazer. Take it with you when you shop so you won't make a matching mistake. Don't go too short, knee length is the safest bet. Practice wearing the skirt outfit berforehand so you don't look uncomfortable in interviews. If it's something you hate or you're not used to wearing, that fact with show! It's worth getting used to a skirt in an interview outfit, because with so many women wearing pantsuits to interviews, you'll stand out in a skirt. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM

253 posts, read 795,042 times
Wear what makes you comfortable. I hate skirts and dresses as well and I never wear them. The fact that someone wouldn't hire you because of not wearing a skirt is dumb, sexist, and not worth your time, IMO.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I've been on numerous interviews and usually wore pants. Much depended on the weather since I relied a lot on mass transit to get around.

I'll have to admit, I played "the game" only so far when it came to appearances. I didn't want to interview in stark blacks and grays with my hair pulled back tight because, in reality, I am a very colorful person, wear lots of jewelry, my long hair is usually "down", and I wear skirts and dresses only in the summer. For me it was a matter of honesty, because I wanted the interviewer to have an idea of what he was getting if he considered me.

I think what's riskier anymore is showing too much skin, too many tattoos, facial metal (rings, studs), and weird hairdos, but even then it depends on the employer.

It's really a crap-shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search