Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times

Advertisements

http://lobamcyber.blogspot.com/2007/...d-to-know.html

Note: replaced dead link with an active link. ~moderator

Last edited by linicx; 05-02-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Thank you! These are good questions to know the answers to.

Working in an HR department; what I've heard from our recruiters, and even our manager, is that they "just know" the minute they meet a candidate whether or not he or she is the one they want to hire. Don't ask me why because I don't get that attitude....but that's the way they are. Sure doesn't seem fair to me.

However, I have heard it said many times that interviewers have it already built up in their minds who they are looking for; and in the first minute of meeting a candidate they have already made their decision.

Last edited by katie45; 07-19-2008 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thank you! These are good questions to know the answers to.

Working in an HR department; what I've heard from our recruiters, and even our manager, is that they "just know" the minute they meet a candidate whether or not he or she is the one they want to hire. Don't ask me why because I don't get that attitude....but that's the way they are. Sure doesn't seem fair to me.

However, I have heard it said many times that interviewers have it already built up in their minds who they are looking for; and in the first minute of meeting a candidate they have already made their decision.
You are right. It doesn't sound fair and sounds even discriminatory. If these employers know who they want right away then why don't they just schedule one interview at a time until they see their "star" person and just hire them right there and spare the rest of the people the waste of time and money coming into their office?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
You are right. It doesn't sound fair and sounds even discriminatory. If these employers know who they want right away then why don't they just schedule one interview at a time until they see their "star" person and just hire them right there and spare the rest of the people the waste of time and money coming into their office?
You are absolutely correct, and I agree 100% Silly me, I would think the best qualified candidate should be hired, but too often it ends up a popularity contest...and in many cases it's still the old "who you know" scenario.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You are absolutely correct, and I agree 100% Silly me, I would think the best qualified candidate should be hired, but too often it ends up a popularity contest...and in many cases it's still the old "who you know" scenario.
What a shame.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 AM

354 posts, read 2,076,588 times
This list sums it up. I been ask most of these before. The longest interview I had was 1.5 hours being drill by 6 interviewers at one time at a round table. Its funny b/c we actually took a 10 min. recess from the interview.That was an tough and successful interview for a Production Associate at Cabot Microelectronics. At a another interview I was once ask, why is a man hole round. Simple question to answer if your ready for it. I wasn't, so I said I didn't know. It took me off gaurd. I was asking myself, what do this question have to do with the position I was applying for. The purpose of this question was to see was I a bull**itter or not. Effective and a good way to see what can of person you are. I was so frustrated at the interview I nearly walk out. The end result of the interview was to get an feel for what can of person I was. I had the job before the process even started. The interviewing supervisor at job 2 knew my previous Production Manager from job 1 which use to be a Plant Manager at job 2. Also the HR guy at job 1 resign to worked as HR Manager at job 2. The interviewer told me he call ahead and ask what can of worker I was. At the end of my interview he basically said my interveiwing skills sucks. I'm only getting the job b/c he heard first hand of my work ethics through the HR and Prod Man.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 AM

390 posts, read 905,303 times
Quote:

Wow, I learned so much from reading these 64 answers.
TY so much for posting it. Any one looking for a job can and will benefit by readng this!
CD is always so full of useful information.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,894 times
Q60. If you won $10 million lottery, would you still work?

If the employer really want to hire an honest person and they get any answer other then "no" you know they are full of BS. If you work for fun. Because you want to get out of the house but you really don't have to work, thats a different story. But if you work to survive. No WAY!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
It's round so you can't drop it inside the hole....(Look at the lip on it)...It it was square you could drop it in...(;>} But I bet you really knew that ...

Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 PM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Quote:
Thanks a gazillion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search