Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 PM

275 posts, read 743,366 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a job now. Several times I came across the situation, when I send my resume to the company, I hear nothing back even though my resume was a pretty good fit for the position. If I send my resume to the owner/manager, they would call me for an interview, sometimes on Sat.

Couple times situation was just funny, when Manager after interview with me would call HR person to make papers for the offer, HR person would say they do not need copy of my resume, because ... it is on file already. Managerss face at this time is just priceless, like "Well...???"

I do not want to re-write my resume word-to-word as ad says, I hope "filters" should be able to read and understand resumes, it is not some complicated 500 page legal document, but it seems, like it IS barrier for them. My resume is real, it is not just "good team player" and "positive attitude", which may be the problem for "filters" , one called me once and asked whether I know how to do something. It was in my resume, but called by another wide used in the industry term, so no go from HR person.

Another thing I noticed, it is not news though, my resume fits position almost 100%, interview is a breeze, but result is negative, as I understand because interviewer see me as a ... competitor.

What to do and how to do it? I moved to new area(NJ/NY/CT) and have to find job here. How do you reach people, who read and actually understand what is in front of them?

Thanks for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
I am trying to find a job now. Several times I came across the situation, when I send my resume to the company, I hear nothing back even though my resume was a pretty good fit for the position. If I send my resume to the owner/manager, they would call me for an interview, sometimes on Sat.

Couple times situation was just funny, when Manager after interview with me would call HR person to make papers for the offer, HR person would say they do not need copy of my resume, because ... it is on file already. Managerss face at this time is just priceless, like "Well...???"

I do not want to re-write my resume word-to-word as ad says, I hope "filters" should be able to read and understand resumes, it is not some complicated 500 page legal document, but it seems, like it IS barrier for them. My resume is real, it is not just "good team player" and "positive attitude", which may be the problem for "filters" , one called me once and asked whether I know how to do something. It was in my resume, but called by another wide used in the industry term, so no go from HR person.

Another thing I noticed, it is not news though, my resume fits position almost 100%, interview is a breeze, but result is negative, as I understand because interviewer see me as a ... competitor.

What to do and how to do it? I moved to new area(NJ/NY/CT) and have to find job here. How do you reach people, who read and actually understand what is in front of them?

Thanks for your ideas.
I am not sure what types of jobs you are applying for, but it may be a little too conceited to think of yourself as through a simple interview, the interviewer is intimidated of you and thinks you are a competitor or threat. Someone just coming in for an hour interview at most is not going to threaten or intimidate a manager/employer. If you think about this objectively you would see that how can anyone logically be viewed as a competitor when interviewing at a company they hardly know anything about, in a work stream that they have no experience (i.e. if you don't work there you do not know the particular policies, procedures, etc unique to that employer).

What I would advise if you feel that you are interviewing well, but something seems to go wrong and you are not able to cinch the deal, you may want to practice interviewing with acquaitances-- or folks just outside your social group (i.e. people who do not know you so well but who would be willing to mock interview you). You may be coming off wrong and need a little extra help in finding out what is potentially not working in your favor.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:

If you come across in your inteviews as you do on this post it is not too surprising you aren't getting offers. I'm not saying that to be a jerk, but to give that idea serious consideration tells me perhaps you are a bit on the conceited side.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
I have the same problem. I get a majority of calls from smaller companies with no HR departments (i.e. the hiring manager or CEO found my resume, but an HR department probably wouldn't pass it along). My situation is a bit different...I have an MBA and a JD, so most HR departments price me out of the job without asking or assume the JD is irrelevant, but a CEO or hiring manager sees the value. It's odd because I've worked for large companies (GM, Kmart, EDS, IBM) but always gotten those jobs through a reference, not from a cold-call (i.e. Careerbuilder resume). The jobs I've gotten from putting my resume out there have been in smaller businesses/start-ups.

HR folks may not always have the specialized knowledge to filter candidates correctly. Just shore up your cover letter or send your information to someone in the department you're looking to join (if you know they have an opening). Can't hurt.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM

The problem with this point of view is that I am not "conceited" when my interviewers are owners of the businesses or people with a lot more experience, than I have. We talk, learn what other side can or can not offer and if everything match, I hear back pretty soon.

I think I was very "conceited" from point of view of one guy, who was pretty close to retirement and tried to save his job by all means. He was trying to be irreplacable and very important for the company, so one day, when printer jammed paper he came to fix it and told me I need to go back to my cubicle until he finish "magic", he was afraid I will learn how to fix this problem(rocket science ) and he would become less important. Honestly, I feel for both guy and the owner of that place...

How they said it "It's good to be least smart part of the team, so you will learn from those around you" or something, like that. My bosses with 20-30 yeards of experience were happy to share their experience, they knew even if they will tell me everything they know, I still would not be able to replicate them, because of their knowledge/years of work. They shared their knowledge and it helped them, those problems, which they had to deal with became mine headaches. One of my bosses was going home one day and he said there was one problem still not resolved. He came back next day and was happy to learn it has been taken care of. Or when one day we had guy from corporate office, who said that our dept had a problem and after 10-15 minutes conversation I was able to point him in right direction and explain, why problem was there. Two days later he called my boss and confirmed that the problem was exactly where I predicted(I did not know, just predicted).

My problem is I can not reach people, who would not see me as "overqualified", who would consider it as positive part.

lovetheduns, industry(any) is just that, if I know how it should be done, it does not matter what company is. Yes, there are some differences in procedures/ways/restrictions, but if you know most of it, you can learn the rest.

manderly6, I am not 15 or 20 years old, who may be afraid/uncomfortable at the time of interview, I know what I know and what I do not, so for me interview is dialog, not just one way conversation.

tabbcat, I hear your pain.

How is my English, by the way? Would you consider it "good", "good enough", "ok", "so-so"?

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 AM

232 posts, read 542,564 times
Quote:

I do not want to re-write my resume word-to-word as ad says, I hope "filters" should be able to read and understand resumes, it is not some complicated 500 page legal document, but it seems, like it IS barrier for them.
This is the crux of the matter right here.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Tweaking a few keywords to match the job ad shouldn't be that much of a burden to you. Its not like you are rewriting your entire resume. If you are doing it right, you should just be modifying two or three words in your 'executive summary' or bullet-pointed skills section. If you aren't willing to do even this minimal amount of work, I have to wonder if you really want these jobs.

You come across as arrogant.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:

manderly6, I am not 15 or 20 years old, who may be afraid/uncomfortable at the time of interview, I know what I know and what I do not, so for me interview is dialog, not just one way conversation.
I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying you came across as afraid/uncomfortable. Almost the opposite. You can be too comfortable/confident in an interview.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM

Sikaranista, I thought it may be a problem, but hope people can read and understand better/wider.

kodaka, "You come across as arrogant." Why? Yes, I am not someone, who would die after seeing manager/VP/President, but arrogant?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Manderly6, that may be true. I am looking for a place with normal from this point of view atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search