Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,075 times

Advertisements

I realize it has something to do with their belief that god's name is to revered to the point of being unspoken, but isn't the word god just a generic form and not a personal name?

Like, if I tell someone to "keep my name out of your mouth" they are not calling me by name if they say, "that dude over there" or "that guy over there," right? My name is not 'dude' or 'guy.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I realize it has something to do with their belief that god's name is to revered to the point of being unspoken, but isn't the word god just a generic form and not a personal name?

Like, if I tell someone to "keep my name out of your mouth" they are not calling me by name if they say, "that dude over there" or "that guy over there," right? My name is not 'dude' or 'guy.'

In some respect...to envoke God or the spirits/angels..and demonica...You have to call them into being.

If you do not know their names...how can you call em effectively?

If God called out to you loudly: Jimminairalla please stand and come forth ....would you stand up and mover towards the pew/thrown?

Same Goes with the name of God...they have removed the lettering or correct spelling , so that the common folk cannot summon, or envoke his coming or his going!

But Jeshua or Jesus spread his name...and said only through him does one come to God..and we now have some of the name of God as being JWHW...the pronounciation is a bit lost...even to the Jews...cause the original language used to spell HIS NAME was old Yidish .

So how do we call on God in Prayer?
Jesus sais to speak the Lords Prayer...and God will hear you.

For there is only one creator...only one heavenly Father..and only one son Of God...Jeshua or Jesus...so if you envoke them all...You won't be far from the mark of his name or title...King of Kings and Lord of Lords...for truth is his covering!.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:

out of respect. That is why write G-d.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
In some respect...to envoke God or the spirits/angels..and demonica...You have to call them into being.

If you do not know their names...how can you call em effectively?

If God called out to you loudly: Jimminairalla please stand and come forth ....would you stand up and mover towards the pew/thrown?

Same Goes with the name of God...they have removed the lettering or correct spelling , so that the common folk cannot summon, or envoke his coming or his going!

But Jeshua or Jesus spread his name...and said only through him does one come to God..and we now have some of the name of God as being JWHW...the pronounciation is a bit lost...even to the Jews...cause the original language used to spell HIS NAME was old Yidish .

So how do we call on God in Prayer?
Jesus sais to speak the Lords Prayer...and God will hear you.

For there is only one creator...only one heavenly Father..and only one son Of God...Jeshua or Jesus...so if you envoke them all...You won't be far from the mark of his name or title...King of Kings and Lord of Lords...for truth is his covering!.
Wow what a rant.......

Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

40 posts, read 83,849 times
While I myself to do agree with it, it is true that it is done out of respect.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
Quote:

It could be worse....they could leave out the gd part :-P. Jews don't believe in speaking the name of god actually....his name is too holy for humans to speak. And remember to jews god is refered to as Elohim or YHWH in their texts and not god, both are considered his names.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
out of respect. That is why write G-d.
Please enlighten us and explain why it took 1,700 years for Jews to gain sufficient respect for god to not pronounce the name.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
It could be worse....they could leave out the gd part :-P. Jews don't believe in speaking the name of god actually....his name is too holy for humans to speak. And remember to jews god is refered to as Elohim or YHWH in their texts and not god, both are considered his names.
His name is written with 2 yuds, or YHVH in the Tanakh which is spoken as Adonai when reading.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,878 times
I was always taught that it is out of respect. At some point the piece of paper being written on will be destroyed or discarded.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
Quote:

He is our Father so we should call Him by His name. Although it's not God, it serves it's purpose. Would you leave out the spelling of your earthly father? If not, why, then, would you leave out the spelling of our Father in Heaven? Writing His name can do no harm. It's when you speak ill of Him that makes you a fool and disrespectful. As was once said, There is no greater fool in all the universe than the one who uses our Fathers name in vain. Saying or writing His name is not in vain. It's calling Him. You don't say G dash D, you say God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism