Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Kippah: A Blessing On Your Head offers an answer to when and why Torah-observant Jewish men wear a kippah, yarmulke or other type of head covering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Kippah: A Blessing On Your Head offers an answer to when and why Torah-observant Jewish men wear a kippah, yarmulke or other type of head covering.
I found that discussion a little weak - for one thing I know Orthodox, shomer shabbos, Kashrut observant Jews who during a work day only wear kippah when they are making a brucha - the article quotes the leniency for a lawyer in court, but the individuals I am aware of are not lawyers, and the parnossah linkage is weaker.

OTOH I know observant Conservative Jews who wear kippot all day. Of course they ARE Torah observant

My strong impression is that most American Jews who wear a kippah at all times while in Israel are not secularists expressing pride, but are at least in some says halacha observant - the ones I am most familiar with are the young men who go with Conservative youth groups, and who are completely or almost completely observant, at least while in Israel.

Though OTOH I also know of a couple of mostly non-observant Jews who wear kippahs all the time out of pride - RIGHT HERE IN THE USA.

The other thing I found weak is that the article really did NOT explain why and where wearing the kippa is mandatory - it did not cite halacha (except on leniencies) and did not clarify the connection to saying brachos.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Forgive a well-meaning shaygetz but what is a kippah? How is it different from a yarmulke?
Shainem tank.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:29 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
To cover up their bald spot. j/k

Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Forgive a well-meaning shaygetz but what is a kippah? How is it different from a yarmulke?
Shainem tank. ;)
If your Jewish wife does not know, according to Kippah: A Blessing On Your Head:

Quote:
... the Yiddish word for head covering, "yarmulke," comes from the Aramaic, yira malka, which means "awe of the King."

In Hebrew, the head covering is called "kippah" -- literally "dome."

Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Many Jews both men and women wear kippot in shul. In my community many wear a kippah and some don't.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Many Jews both men and women wear kippot in shul. In my community many wear a kippah and some don't.
Shortly after my own bar mitzvah, I was invited to a friends'. He belonged to a reform synagogue, and I remember walking in and being somewhat shocked that the rabbi and I were the only two men in the room wearing kippot. As soon as you bring reform congregations into the discussion, you've got an entirely different element to deal with.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Shortly after my own bar mitzvah, I was invited to a friends'. He belonged to a reform synagogue, and I remember walking in and being somewhat shocked that the rabbi and I were the only two men in the room wearing kippot. As soon as you bring reform congregations into the discussion, you've got an entirely different element to deal with.

I once belonged to a Reform shul where the president of the congregation not only wore a kippah, he wore a knit one, modern O style - and the rabbi did NOT wear one.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,521,953 times
Also, some Sephardi do not wear kippot, regardless of their level of observance. I met an Orthodox Sephardic military chaplain who didn't wear a kippah.

As far as reform goes - things seem to have swung back the other way in the last 20 years, and you see at least 50% with kippot - I went to a Reform Yom Kipper service this year. Not my cup of tea, but very welcoming folks. Tallit, on the other hand, are quite rare in Reform temples, while being universal in Conservative and Orthodox shuls.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
I met an Orthodox Sephardic military chaplain who didn't wear a kippah.
Which branch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism