Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Also, some Sephardi do not wear kippot, regardless of their level of observance. I met an Orthodox Sephardic military chaplain who didn't wear a kippah.

As far as reform goes - things seem to have swung back the other way in the last 20 years, and you see at least 50% with kippot - I went to a Reform Yom Kipper service this year. Not my cup of tea, but very welcoming folks. Tallit, on the other hand, are quite rare in Reform temples, while being universal in Conservative and Orthodox shuls.
I am pretty sure a higher percentage of people wear one at my C shul than at a typical O shul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am pretty sure a higher percentage of people wear one at my C shul than at a typical O shul ;)
Are you referring to a head covering or to a tallit?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,794 times
Quote:
Also, some Sephardi do not wear kippot, regardless of their level of observance. I met an Orthodox Sephardic military chaplain who didn't wear a kippah.

As far as reform goes - things seem to have swung back the other way in the last 20 years, and you see at least 50% with kippot - I went to a Reform Yom Kipper service this year. Not my cup of tea, but very welcoming folks. Tallit, on the other hand, are quite rare in Reform temples, while being universal in Conservative and Orthodox shuls.

Tallitot are not rare in reform temples. Many people wear them.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Are you referring to a head covering or to a tallit?

to a tallit.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,268 times
Quote:

Tallitot are not always rare in reform shuls. The one I attend many folks wear a tallit. I wear a tallit when I attend shul.

One ought to not make blanket statements about a movement in Judaism because there are many differences in the reform movement and different levels of practice.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:12 AM

20 posts, read 27,121 times
It is quite simply because the Jewish religion is developed from Atenism. The priests of Akhenaten who were exiled from Egypt after his death settled in Canaan - archaeological evidence shows that at that time the people who lived there stopped keeping and eating pigs. See Finkelstein & Silberman, The Bible Unearthed.

Judaism originates in Egypt and the clothing reflects that worn by the Pharaoh and Egyptian priests.

WH Uffington

Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
^If you say so.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuff View Post
It is quite simply because the Jewish religion is developed from Atenism. The priests of Akhenaten who were exiled from Egypt after his death settled in Canaan - archaeological evidence shows that at that time the people who lived there stopped keeping and eating pigs. See Finkelstein & Silberman, The Bible Unearthed.

Judaism originates in Egypt and the clothing reflects that worn by the Pharaoh and Egyptian priests.

WH Uffington

My understanding is that outside the areas traditionally associated with Israelite settlement (the hill country, mostly), they kept eating pigs.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:18 AM

20 posts, read 27,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My understanding is that outside the areas traditionally associated with Israelite settlement (the hill country, mostly), they kept eating pigs.
That's right, Finkelstein and Silberman confirm this. The evidence indicates that the curious change occurs later than Akhenaten's time.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuff View Post
That's right, Finkelstein and Silberman confirm this. The evidence indicates that the curious change occurs later than Akhenaten's time.

But if its caused by exiled akenatenists, are you saying the exiled priests went only to the Israelite hill country, and not to the other parts of Canaan? Why?

An alternative would be that the hill country shifted to monotheism on its own (some association of monotheism with the more egalitarian social structure of the hill country, escaped canaanite serfs running to the hills, etc) and that the timing wrt Akenaten was either pure coincidence, or an indirect influence at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism