Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times

Advertisements

I considered relocating to Memphis, but before doing so did some research on the availability of kosher meat so I contacted the local Chabad. No kosher butchers and only a handful of supermarkets that carry kosher meats, mainly chicken.

I have found that to be the case in most mid-semi-large cities in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I considered relocating to Memphis, but before doing so did some research on the availability of kosher meat so I contacted the local Chabad. No kosher butchers and only a handful of supermarkets that carry kosher meats, mainly chicken.

I have found that to be the case in most mid-semi-large cities in the U.S.
Actually you'll need to do what I did which was switch over to Hallal for most meats. FYI Chabad is not the best choice to call. Look up and see who and where the Modern Orthodox synagogues are and call them. They will point you to the supermarket chains that have separate cutting areas because they are located in heavily Jewish areas. Chabad gets its meat usually from Monsey, NY.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Actually you'll need to do what I did which was switch over to Hallal for most meats. FYI Chabad is not the best choice to call. Look up and see who and where the Modern Orthodox synagogues are and call them. They will point you to the supermarket chains that have separate cutting areas because they are located in heavily Jewish areas. Chabad gets its meat usually from Monsey, NY.
Now that is a Switch. I often have to look for Kosher food because Halal is scarce were I live.

Strange thing is ND produces nearly all the Halal meat sold in the US, but very little of it ever reaches local markets. Kosher meat is more available here, although the Jewish Population is almost non-existent.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Now that is a Switch. I often have to look for Kosher food because Halal is scarce were I live.

Strange thing is ND produces nearly all the Halal meat sold in the US, but very little of it ever reaches local markets. Kosher meat is more available here, although the Jewish Population is almost non-existent.
It's strange. We have a area about 30 miles away with numerous people from India and it seems a majority of them are Muslim. Nearly all the Indian restaurants list their meats as being Hallel. If I want something real special, I drive down south around 50 miles and go place as order through AAFES.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's strange. We have a area about 30 miles away with numerous people from India and it seems a majority of them are Muslim. Nearly all the Indian restaurants list their meats as being Hallel. If I want something real special, I drive down south around 50 miles and go place as order through AAFES.
At the most there are 8,000 Muslims in the entire State of ND about 4,000 are Rural Farmers. Most self sufficient in food production for their entire Family. the Remainder are Commercial Farmers Producing for the Halal Market outside ND. There is not that much demand for Halal meat here in the stores as until very recent times most ND Muslims produced their own. (I'm one of the few rural ones that chose to raise horses instead of cattle, sheep or poultry )

The City Muslims live nearly exclusively in Fargo with a few in Grand Forks and Minot. The ones in Fargo do most of their Shopping in Minneapolis which does have a large number of Halal stores.

The end result being that although the Muslim population out numbers the Jewish population, there is considerably more demand for store bought Kosher than for store bought Halal.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
The town I live in has two large supermarkets that supply kosher meats. There was an independent butcher who sprang up a couple years back, but he didn't make more than a year.

My understanding, is that after the Orthodox Jews, the next largest buyer of kosher meats in town are the Jews for Yushke. Kind of sad to see the goyim outspending the Jews in town for kosher products.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Not sure about kosher, but I did hear about a German butcher being arrested on the beach for taking a tern for the Wurst…..
Ach... Mein... Göttchen... That's bad. But I must retell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
At the most there are 8,000 Muslims in the entire State of ND about 4,000 are Rural Farmers.
That's news to me. Not that there are Muslims in North Dakota, but that a large proportion of them are farmers. Are they of a specific ethnic group that came to ND en masse to farm?

Anyway, on topic, I think ethnic butchers and specialty markets are on the decline because old-wave ethnicities are dispersing. That's why I suspect it hasn't happened in Brooklyn where there is still a large, intact orthodox population.

My old neighborhood in NY was a Little Italy for 50 years, and although there are still a lot of Italian families in the area, and still a lot of delis and bakeries, they are no longer all Italian owned and the character has changed. It is a shame, but what can you do.

Someone needs to convince some Jewish Bay-Area hipsters that kosher butchery is the cool new thing. Start a new generation.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ach... Mein... Göttchen... That's bad. But I must retell it.

That's news to me. Not that there are Muslims in North Dakota, but that a large proportion of them are farmers. Are they of a specific ethnic group that came to ND en masse to farm?

Anyway, on topic, I think ethnic butchers and specialty markets are on the decline because old-wave ethnicities are dispersing. That's why I suspect it hasn't happened in Brooklyn where there is still a large, intact orthodox population.

My old neighborhood in NY was a Little Italy for 50 years, and although there are still a lot of Italian families in the area, and still a lot of delis and bakeries, they are no longer all Italian owned and the character has changed. It is a shame, but what can you do.

Someone needs to convince some Jewish Bay-Area hipsters that kosher butchery is the cool new thing. Start a new generation.
Many came prior to Statehood. they date back to the old Fur Traders. Many came from Syria First opening up Trading posts and later Mink Farms. Shortly before Statehood and up into the 1900-1920s there was a large migration of farmers from Syria, Lebanon, Yemen and maybe Jordan. Also there are Lokatah, Ojibway and other Native Americans that converted to Islam. My wife's family are Cheyenne from Montana originally.

However, they are mostly invisible and seldom publicaly acknowledge being Muslim. In the 2000 Census only 920 stated their religion. A few small towns in the Central part of the state were basically entirely Muslim. Typically today the only way you can Identify a North Dakotan as Muslim is if you hapen to meet them at any of the Homes used as a Mosque. The 4000 City dwellers found mostly in Fargo are predominantly Somali with a number of Iraqi, Afghani and Palestinian. Mostly arriving recently.

The First building in the US built as a Mosque was in Ross, ND. That is also the site of the First Muslim Cemetery in the US.

Back on topic

I agree that the decline of Kosher Butchers is because of the loss of ethnic identity.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
This is the old school Orthodox butcher/grocery store in Milwaukee. My gf and I call it the "Golda Meir" grocery store, because we're convinced it's so old that Golda must have shopped there. It is located in the northwest side of Milwaukee (the hood) because that is where the original Jewish area in the city was and the Ultra Orthodox shul remains today. When we first went there half the lights were off in the place (to save electricity) and this old guy came over and asked us if we wanted him to turn the lights on. Too funny.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:17 PM

I just want to mention on a personal level I am saddened at the decline of Kosher Butchers anywhere in the USA.

To me it signifies another minority becoming assimilated into "US Culture" whatever that is.

While I fully support integration I am somewhat against the loss of identity through assimilation. I think the goal should be peaceful co-existence, not absorption by the majority.

Just my personal view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism