Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So just so i understand you correctly, your culinary tastes pretty much fall inline with what is kosher?

Have you tried all these foods and did not like the taste, or is it a mental thing that after years of not eating them, you find just the thought of it unappetizing.
I tried shrimp and crab and they did nothing for me taste wise. The thought of eating pork is nauseating to me, probably because of my upbringing. I've never tried lobster, nor do I want to. I feel the way the wife's grandmother did - the persons who first tried lobster had to be pretty hungry. It's an ugly creature, not that cows or chickens are things of beauty, it's just lobster looks like a big bug to me. I'm into Bizarre Foods (ironically, Andrew Zimmern is a Jew).

I do eat burgers and such at fast food places and eat at non-kosher restaurants. I guess my taste in food is more towards "kosher style," and to answer your question, after so many years of not eating certain traife (sp.?) foods, why should I try now?

It is a mental and quasi-religious thing; is the best way I can describe it.

BTW Pruzhany, I've been eating Bacos for years, and yes I know it tastes like bacon, the one pork product I've tasted and liked the flavor, but I can't bring myself to eat it again because it comes from a pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times
I don't eat seafood in any way shape or form. Looks weird, smells fishy, and I rarely (never) had it growing up. I've tried fried calamari rings once and didn't like it, but have never had the courage to eat lobster, shrimp, or crab.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,756 times
We ate Chinese food (mmh spicy Mapo Tofu) and watched American Hustle on Xmas. It's a minhag (Jewish custom) and therefore binding on all American Jews*. What a nightmare to coordinate both the Chinese food and the movie trip when you have a whole flock of Jews. People arriving on Jewish Time (i.e. late). Come on folks, the movie starts in half an hour!

*I'm only half-joking. There's a concept in Jewish law that you're not allowed to abandon the customs of your family and its ancestors.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

*I'm only half-joking. There's a concept in Jewish law that you're not allowed to abandon the customs of your family and its ancestors.
Quite true. The influence of my Jewish Grandmother is still felt in my family after 4 generations.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 01-10-2014 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Might offend some people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism