Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times

Advertisements

Thanks, and welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I would suggest King David Concord wine.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
If any of you are thinking about your Pesach wine, just a few quick suggestions:

1. The Shulchan Orech says it's preferable to drink red wine over white wine, unless the white wine you have is of greater quality than the red wine.
2. If you drink Manishevitz, be sure the wine you pick is "br'e pri hagaofen." The Blackberry variety is not.
3. If you are going to have non-Jews or non-observant Jews at your seder, be sure to choose mevushal wine. The bottle will be labled as such.
4. Drinking the proscribed amount of wine with each of the arba kosas (4 glasses of wine) can get you a bit drunk. Pesach is NOT the holiday to get drunk. There are simply too many mitzvahs to perform, and a clear head is imperative. I always pick a Pesach wine that is 6% alcohol or less.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
If any of you are thinking about your Pesach wine, just a few quick suggestions:

1. The Shulchan Orech says it's preferable to drink red wine over white wine, unless the white wine you have is of greater quality than the red wine.
2. If you drink Manishevitz, be sure the wine you pick is "br'e pri hagaofen." The Blackberry variety is not.
3. If you are going to have non-Jews or non-observant Jews at your seder, be sure to choose mevushal wine. The bottle will be labled as such.
4. Drinking the proscribed amount of wine with each of the arba kosas (4 glasses of wine) can get you a bit drunk. Pesach is NOT the holiday to get drunk. There are simply too many mitzvahs to perform, and a clear head is imperative. I always pick a Pesach wine that is 6% alcohol or less.

1. Better than WHICH red wine? The best kosher red wine available? The best kosher red wine in your house? The red wine thats open at the table? better by whose opinoin?

2. anyone who drinks blueberry wine, well ......

4. two glasses are before the dinner, and two after. Im pretty sure if you are not new to wine, are of normal weight, you don't rush through dinner, and don't drink more than the required minimum you can get through it without becoming inebriated. OTOH if things run too late the combination of fatigue and wine can be trying - and while at that point there arent many complex mitzvahs, you don't want to fall asleep for hallel.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM

It's so funny, BBD, when I was a kid, we always skipped Hallel and bentching. Just looked like a bunch of Hebrew that didn't mean anything to any of us. We basically went from Afikomen to "Next Year in Jerusalem" in about 10 minutes.

Now Hallel is my family's favorite part of the seder. My non-frum relatives are typically pretty agitated by the seder by this point, so this year I'm goin to encourage them to excuse themselves if they want - at any time during the seder. I plan to have an "other room" with comfortable cusions and all the wireless signal they could ever want available at their beck and call. We do a pretty quick seder anyways - we nearly always finish before 1am.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
It's so funny, BBD, when I was a kid, we always skipped Hallel and bentching. Just looked like a bunch of Hebrew that didn't mean anything to any of us. We basically went from Afikomen to "Next Year in Jerusalem" in about 10 minutes.

Now Hallel is my family's favorite part of the seder. My non-frum relatives are typically pretty agitated by the seder by this point, so this year I'm goin to encourage them to excuse themselves if they want - at any time during the seder. I plan to have an "other room" with comfortable cusions and all the wireless signal they could ever want available at their beck and call. We do a pretty quick seder anyways - we nearly always finish before 1am.

My family said hallel, but using the 'seder for the American family' it was in english. And so we benched, an abbreviated version in english, and it was the only time all year my family ever did so. Of course they started early, and our seder was relatively fast, so this was no big deal.

I love the tunes for Hallel myself. And the poetry of them (in Hebrew) But images of folks napping in some seders Ive been to is still amusing to me.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My family said hallel, but using the 'seder for the American family' it was in english. And so we benched, an abbreviated version in english, and it was the only time all year my family ever did so. Of course they started early, and our seder was relatively fast, so this was no big deal.

I love the tunes for Hallel myself. And the poetry of them (in Hebrew) But images of folks napping in some seders Ive been to is still amusing to me.
My boys and I (my 5 year old daughter, too) belt out Hallel at the sedar like our life depended on it (it just may). But like you said, the tunes are so beautiful, and the praises for Hashem are also wonderful.

We've started bentching all of Bircas Hamazon out loud for our Shabbos meals where the family joins us now. When we bentched quietly to ourselves, which is our usual practice, we found the relatives were not at all engaged. But add a little singing from the FlipFlop family chorus, and it's a delight for all!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone have a nice wine they would recommend? The stuff I have tastes like Manischewitz. I've been invited to a Sisterhood tea in March, and would like to give the hostess something that tastes..... well, not like Manischewitz. There are some good reviews online of wines, but I'd love recommendations from someone here. Red wine, white wine; I don't care, as long as it's Kosher.

Thanks!

Chana

If you are looking for a cheaper, white wine -- I usually go with Goose Bay, which occasionally pops up in various liquor stores. The Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc is very citrusy and crisp, so it's easy to accommodate with anyone's tastes buds. Good luck!

How much are you looking to spend? My family and I are a big fan of the Covenant Red and have saved by buying ours online by the case on Moderator cut: link removed or from other online kosher retailers.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Commercial link removed

Old 08-12-2015, 02:09 PM

23,144 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Probably not Kosher, but the very best wine is made in la Grange Texas.

The owners are German I believe, but of all the wine I have had all over the world, there is none better than Rosemary's Vineyard and winery. If anyone gets around La Grange, this would be the best place to stop.

Muscadine Wine

A light full-bodied sweet wine, slightly oaked, made from the red muscadine grape. It is the perfect wine with cheese and fruit. This is our most popular selection and is in limited quantity.

Blanc du Bois

Our premium white wine made from the Blanc du Bois wine grape is grown in our vineyard. It is a hybrid variety with Muscat Canelli in its parentage.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:11 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Probably not Kosher.....
Then why bring it up in a thread asking specifically for kosher wine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism