Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 PM

12,285 posts, read 2,969,609 times

Advertisements

At the risk of being suspected as a troll, someone wrote in the atheism/agnosticism forum recently "jews don't like non-jews." Do you believe that's accurate? Not just for you but for other jews you know? Why or why not? Btw I am an atheist who was raised catholic.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
No, I don't think it's true. We have our share of bigots, just like every other group, but I think that in general the vast majority of Jews have no problem with non-Jews.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:13 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Orthodox and Hasidic Jews dislike everyone that isn't Orthodox or Hasidic. But as for the majority of the Jewish population, that's not true at all. I definitely think Jews get along better with each other and with Catholics for some reason, but we don't dislike other religions. We just end up having more in common with each other and Catholics. At least that's my situation. And many other Jews I know seem to vibe better with Catholics than any other religion.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:35 PM

9,343 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
No, I don't think it's true. We have our share of bigots, just like every other group, but I think that in general the vast majority of Jews have no problem with non-Jews.
Pretty much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Orthodox and Hasidic Jews dislike everyone that isn't Orthodox or Hasidic. But as for the majority of the Jewish population, that's not true at all. I definitely think Jews get along better with each other and with Catholics for some reason, but we don't dislike other religions. We just end up having more in common with each other and Catholics. At least that's my situation. And many other Jews I know seem to vibe better with Catholics than any other religion.
Quite frankly, the ultra-ultra-Orthodox hate non-ultra-ultra-Orthodox Jews far more than Gentiles.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Orthodox and Hasidic Jews dislike everyone that isn't Orthodox or Hasidic.
That's a blood libel. Shame on you.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Quite frankly, the ultra-ultra-Orthodox hate non-ultra-ultra-Orthodox Jews far more than Gentiles.
That's another blood libel. Where did all this Jew hatred come from. Please go away and don't ever come back.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 PM

646 posts, read 465,283 times
Quote:
OP, this is simply not true. I personally know Orthodox/Chassidic Jews who have friends who are not Jewish and they surely do not dislike them nor your random non-Jewish person from down the street.

Yes, some might not like non-Jews but you can find these people no matter their religion or world-view.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM

467 posts, read 352,997 times
Quote:
False.
Quote:
But as for the majority of the Jewish population, that's not true at all.
Also false.
Quote:
I definitely think Jews get along better with each other and with Catholics for some reason, but we don't dislike other religions.
Also false, in my experience. But I don't questions yours. Probably yours and mine are both limited.
Quote:
We just end up having more in common with each other and Catholics. At least that's my situation. And many other Jews I know seem to vibe better with Catholics than any other religion.
Maybe. Which also means maybe not.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM

9,343 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
That's another blood libel. Where did all this Jew hatred come from. Please go away and don't ever come back.
I missed the part where I concocted some fantastical myth and used it to advocate for their slaughter.

I'm also Jewish. And quite proud, at that. But I have zero respect for fundamentalists who push their religion onto others, and that includes my own.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:03 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
I'm actually Jewish myself. Reform. Whenever my temple does regional stuff and Orthodox Jews are around, the Reform Jews are not treated as well. And in Israel, outside of a few places like TLV, many of the Orthodox and Hasidic Jews are downright rude and hostile to the less "modest" Jews. When I was there, Jerusalem was 95 degrees so some of the girls wore short shorts and not very covering shirts. A few spit on. Others received death glares. So yes, my personal experience shows that Orthodox and Hasidic Jews are quite unwelcoming, unlike the less religious Jews.

And I guess I should say it's more common for them to dislike. Not all of them are like that. But of the Jews I've met who don't like others, it's almost always come from the Orthodox and Hasidic communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism