Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Not really -- think of a rabbi as a PhD. You and he can both get the same raw data, but he has experience, a breadth of knowledge and an appreciation of method that you don't have. So if something doesn't make sense to you it might not be because he is wrong, but because he is righter than you can appreciate. You can look at a textual verse and Rashi can, and you each can draw conclusions, but his are informed by an encyclopedic knowledge of stuff you have never even seen. If you decide his conclusions don't make sense then that speaks more to what you don't know than to what he does know.
There is nothing to say an individual can't attain the level of a PhD...We trust that a Rabbi doesn't have a personal agenda...I believe a Rabbi once said that truth cannot be attained without argumentation...If an answer comes too easily then it is not the correct answer...I began listening to a series of videos on Beginners Talmud by Rabbi Eli Wolf...The man makes sense...He explains why...He explains how we come to these conclusions in a logical and reasonable manner...I think he said most non-Jews believe we believe something because we are told to, this not the case, we are encouraged to question everything in order to learn, in order to arrive at truth...

Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
There is nothing to say an individual can't attain the level of a PhD...We trust that a Rabbi doesn't have a personal agenda...I believe a Rabbi once said that truth cannot be attained without argumentation...If an answer comes too easily then it is not the correct answer...I began listening to a series of videos on Beginners Talmud by Rabbi Eli Wolf...The man makes sense...He explains why...He explains how we come to these conclusions in a logical and reasonable manner...I think he said most non-Jews believe we believe something because we are told to, this not the case, we are encouraged to question everything in order to learn, in order to arrive at truth...
2 problems -- first, this would then intimate that you, when rejecting rabbinical explanations as not making sense and providing your own understanding in place, have achieved that same "PhD level" of learning. Second, you state that if an answer comes too easily then it is not correct. That's false. Sometimes, a correct answer is readily apparent. Sometimes not.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
To deny the established rabbinical authority in deference to a personal read because the established authority doesn't make sense points to a lack of understanding of the authority, not its having flaws. If I go and develop a textual reading that doesn't agree with Rashi's then that's fine. But if I reject studying Rashi, or gloss through and decide that his explanation doesn't conform to my personal sensibility, and refuse to give him credit for the breadth of his knowledge and the nature of his method then that is foolishness. We cannot stand on the shoulders of geniuses if we refuse to acknowledge them as such.
Dude!...How many times have you seen me quote Rashi to get a point a cross?...

Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
2 problems -- first, this would then intimate that you, when rejecting rabbinical explanations as not making sense and providing your own understanding in place, have achieved that same "PhD level" of learning. Second, you state that if an answer comes too easily then it is not correct. That's false. Sometimes, a correct answer is readily apparent. Sometimes not.
I was quoting a Rabbi with that, so, ironically, you are rejecting the teaching of a Rabbi...

Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Why do Two Rabbis differ on a single topic?...

Old 01-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I was quoting a Rabbi with that, so, ironically, you are rejecting the teaching of a Rabbi...
Yes, and when you reject what I say, you are dong the same.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Because deep thinking often leads to different conclusions. Not all PhD's agree with other PhD's.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:45 AM

22,226 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
because the Torah has layer upon layer upon layer of meaning. It goes on infinitely, it never stops.
One rabbi expounds on one meaning, another on another.
Torah is like a beautiful diamond with many facets, throwing brilliant colors and light in every direction. One rabbi describes the illumination he sees, another describes another.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-03-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, and when you reject what I say, you are dong the same.
Sorry but anyone can claim anything on here...No offense intended...

Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Because deep thinking often leads to different conclusions. Not all PhD's agree with other PhD's.
And this is the point I am trying to make...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism