Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,608,916 times

Advertisements

Satan is mentioned in only five chapters in the Old Testament (King James Version):
#1,#2 Job;
#21 I Chronicles;
#109 Psalms;
#3 Zechariah

Of course, he is all over the New Testament.

A serious question is how much is Satan discussed in Temple? I have been told not at all, but the person who told me that is not very observant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 03:38 PM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Satan is mentioned in only five chapters in the Old Testament (King James Version):
#1,#2 Job;
#21 I Chronicles;
#109 Psalms;
#3 Zechariah

A serious question is how much is Satan discussed in Temple? I have been told not at all, but the person who told me that is not very observant.
You need to be aware that "Satan" in Judaism is not a personification of evil as it is in Christianity.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:07 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,869,261 times
Quote:
#1,#2 Job;
#21 I Chronicles;
#109 Psalms;
#3 Zechariah

Yeah, it really doesn't come up that often in synagogue outside of studying specific books where it appears.

As Mightyqueen said, it really has a different meaning in Judaism than in Christianity. "Satan" is an adversary; it can be a person or animal, or it can be an angel tasked with acting a prosecutor putting Israel on trial. We don't believe that angels have free will or can challenge God; there is no evil force locked in combat with our Creator for control of men's souls.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:38 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,271,121 times
off the top of my head, the only mention of anything akin to a "soton" -- that is, an adversary, is in the evening prayers ("vhaser soton milfaneinu ume'achoreinu" -- and remove the opposer from in front and behind us). This isn't a "Satan" the way other religions see it, but it is the use of the word.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
As Mightyqueen said, it really has a different meaning in Judaism than in Christianity. "Satan" is an adversary; it can be a person or animal, or it can be an angel tasked with acting a prosecutor putting Israel on trial.
The KJV translation translates the Hebrew word "satan" as the proper title "Satan" when the definitive article is attached (19 time). In eight other cases it is translated as "adversary" (7x) and one time as "withstand" (1x).

The list is the translations without proper title.
  1. Num 22:22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.
  2. Num 22:32 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
  3. 1Sa 29:4 And the princes of the Philistines were wroth with him; and the princes of the Philistines said unto him, Make this fellow return, that he may go again to his place which thou hast appointed him, and let him not go down with us to battle, lest in the battle he be an adversary to us: for wherewith should he reconcile himself unto his master? should it not be with the heads of these men?
  4. 2Sa 19:22 And David said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah, that ye should this day be adversaries unto me? shall there any man be put to death this day in Israel? for do not I know that I am this day king over Israel?
  5. 1Ki 5:4 But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.
  6. 1Ki 11:14 And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom.
  7. 1Ki 11:23 And God stirred him up another adversary, Rezon the son of Eliadah, which fled from his lord Hadadezer king of Zobah:
  8. 1Ki 11:25 And he was an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon, beside the mischief that Hadad did: and he abhorred Israel, and reigned over Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
off the top of my head, the only mention of anything akin to a "soton" -- that is, an adversary, is in the evening prayers ("vhaser soton milfaneinu ume'achoreinu" -- and remove the opposer from in front and behind us). This isn't a "Satan" the way other religions see it, but it is the use of the word.
The above eight translations would be consistent with your comments

But whenever the article "the" appears in Hebrew, the KJV capitalizes the Hebrew Word "Satan" and treats the text as referring to a superhuman adversary.
Strong's concordance Hebrew word H7854 - satan, 19 times where the Hebrew word is translated as a title (or name)
  1. Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan H7854 came also among them.
  2. Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Whence comest thou? Then Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
  3. Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
  4. Job 1:9 Then Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
  5. Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan H7854 went forth from the presence of the LORD.
  6. Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan H7854 came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
  7. Job 2:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 From whence comest thou? And Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
  8. Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.
  9. Job 2:4 And Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
  10. Job 2:6 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
  11. Job 2:7 So went Satan H7854 forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot
    -
  12. 1Ch 21:1 And Satan H7854 stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
  13. Psa 109:6 Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan H7854 stand at his right hand.
  14. Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan H7854 standing at his right hand to resist him.
  15. Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; H7854 even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

Although some people think of Satan as a name, there is a strong tradition that it is more like a title, "The Adversary". Traditionally the name of the being is "Lucifer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We don't believe that angels have free will or can challenge God; there is no evil force locked in combat with our Creator for control of men's souls.
So do Jews believe that the translation in the latter verses is incorrect, and that it is not referring to a specific creature?

In other words, is there no depiction of a creature called Satan in Jewish art work?

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-27-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 11-27-2016, 07:37 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,271,121 times
Quote:
The KJV translation translates the Hebrew word "satan" as the proper title "Satan" when the definitive article is attached (19 time). In eight other cases it is translated as "adversary" (7x) and one time as "withstand" (1x).

The list is the translations without proper title.
  1. Num 22:22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.
  2. Num 22:32 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
  3. 1Sa 29:4 And the princes of the Philistines were wroth with him; and the princes of the Philistines said unto him, Make this fellow return, that he may go again to his place which thou hast appointed him, and let him not go down with us to battle, lest in the battle he be an adversary to us: for wherewith should he reconcile himself unto his master? should it not be with the heads of these men?
  4. 2Sa 19:22 And David said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah, that ye should this day be adversaries unto me? shall there any man be put to death this day in Israel? for do not I know that I am this day king over Israel?
  5. 1Ki 5:4 But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.
  6. 1Ki 11:14 And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom.
  7. 1Ki 11:23 And God stirred him up another adversary, Rezon the son of Eliadah, which fled from his lord Hadadezer king of Zobah:
  8. 1Ki 11:25 And he was an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon, beside the mischief that Hadad did: and he abhorred Israel, and reigned over Syria.

But whenever the article "the" appears in Hebrew, the KJV capitalizes the Hebrew Word "Satan" and treats the text as referring to a superhuman adversary
Strong's concordance Hebrew word H7854 - satan, 19 times where the Hebrew word is translated as a title (or name)
  1. Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan H7854 came also among them.
  2. Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Whence comest thou? Then Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
  3. Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
  4. Job 1:9 Then Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
  5. Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan H7854 went forth from the presence of the LORD.
  6. Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan H7854 came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
  7. Job 2:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 From whence comest thou? And Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
  8. Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.
  9. Job 2:4 And Satan H7854 answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
  10. Job 2:6 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
  11. Job 2:7 So went Satan H7854 forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot
    -
  12. 1Ch 21:1 And Satan H7854 stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
  13. Psa 109:6 Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan H7854 stand at his right hand.
  14. Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan H7854 standing at his right hand to resist him.
  15. Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, H7854 The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; H7854 even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

So do Jews believe that the translation in the latter verses is incorrect, and that it is not referring to a specific creature?

In other words, is there no depiction of a creature called Satan in Jewish art work?
Take a look at another translation, like this one, for Job

Iyov - Chapter 1 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

that same translation has 1 Chron 21:1 with the word "Satan and not adversary. One might wonder why in some cases "Adversary" is used and in others, not. Ps. 109:6 has "adversary". Zech 3:1 has "Satan, but the Hebrew has "Hasatan" with a definite article as the prefix. Maybe the issue is that definite article. Either way, in Judaism, though the word can be "translated" in different way, the object pointed to is identical -- the adversary, not an evil force.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Either way, in Judaism, though the word can be "translated" in different way, the object pointed to is identical -- the adversary, not an evil force.
But still it is translated as the Adversary, which is capitalized. Is there no artistic representation of this Adversary?

I read this "Ask the Rabbi", but he doesn't address the question directly.
Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » The Jewish View of Satan

Old 11-28-2016, 12:15 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,068,297 times
Quote:
But still it is translated as the Adversary, which is capitalized. Is there no artistic representation of this Adversary?

I read this "Ask the Rabbi", but he doesn't address the question directly.
Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » The Jewish View of Satan
What Jews Believe: Essay #7: Satan Not Devil

Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,853,669 times
It might help to start reading the Torah and not try to pull Jewish answers from a non Jewish book. They dont read the KJV or the new testament.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Thank you, for the article containing the following quote.
Quote:
In each instance, the job description of The Satan is to act like what we now call a Prosecuting Attorney, or District Attorney, and accuse and show evidence against the defendant. Furthermore, like a D.A., The Satan must obtain permission from Gd, the Judge, to begin a sting operation.
In a famous science fiction story written in the 1950's, the aliens look like the archetypical Christian depiction of Satan.

Does Judaism have a concept of what Satan looks like? Is he depicted in any artwork? My guess is the answer is no. He simply doesn't seem very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism