Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 09:23 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm a Christian who has been to one of these "Seders", and I agree with you. It is not OK.

I was taking a theological study course some years back, and since one participant was a woman who had a Jewish mother and a Christian father but who had not been raised with either religion but observed the Jewish holidays and was exploring both sides of her roots, the priest decided we would do a "Seder" modified to include some Christian stuff at the end.

I participated, but it felt wrong. They were not my words to say or hear. My people were not in bondage in Egypt. It's a fascinating spiritual story, but it belongs to the Jews and not to anyone else. I won't ever participate in something like that again.

My 2 cents.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you participating in a traditional Seder to which you’ve been invited. My concern is the bastardization and cultural appropriation by non-Jews who twist a very special ceremony to fit a completely different religious tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 09:23 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Clearly, a "Christian seder" has no meaning in Judaism. What I find disturbing is the casual adaptation of a Jewish religious observance by those who believe that Jews and Judaism are "completed" or "perfected" through Christianity.
The only people I have ever heard say "completed" are Jewish people who have converted to Christianity and is used to describe themselves. It's not a term generally used by other Christians.

Quote:
Or, at the very least, Christians could simply continue with their Easter Sunday meal (featuring the traditional baked ham that may have originally been intended to show that the participants were not Jewish).

I like the idea of inviting people of different faiths to a seder, but I'm not keen on Christianizing the Jewish Seder.

Love the ones who serve bread at their "seders." LOL

As for the eating of lamb... We don't eat lamb at Passover because the lamb represents the Temple sacrifice, and the Temple is no more. (I believe this is why we also don't eat the lamb shank on the Seder plate.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Or to deliberately offend Jews...
No, seriously, I have heard that before, but I think it's quite a stretch. I doubt very much that most Christians in history even had Jews in their thoughts or on their radar when planning Easter dinners. Ham was the traditional meal simply because most agrarian people butchered pigs and preserved the meat to get them through the winter, and since Easter by definition is an early-Spring holiday (the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox), it was available for a feast.

I am 62 years old and grew up in a devout Christian home, and nobody ever said, "We eat ham to show we're not Jews." We ate ham because it is a big-ass hunk of meat that will feed a crowd. Lamb is also traditional for Easter, but a lot of people don't like it. My mother always made both.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:24 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Jess, don’t feel too bad about buying lamb. While I certainly never had lamb at my Seders growing up, I didn’t realize until fairly recently that it’s customary to not dine on lamb during Seders—not that I generally fancy myself as a paragon of Jewish theological wisdom.

Fish is a good choice. Brisket is another favorite on American Jewish Seder dinner tables. If you’re not aware of this already, be mindful that if you’re keeping kosher, mixing fish and meat is frowned upon, even though fish is technically pareve.

I have mixed feelings on cancel culture generally, but aside from the most egregious of offenses, there should be room for redemption—otherwise, people have no incentive to change their behavior.
I had brisket so many times this week! I am not eating my parents' meal since it's not Kosher, so it'll just be fish for me!

I get paranoid about cancel culture. If people found out the things I wrote as a teenage. Yikes! I grew a lot during college and I changed a lot.

Rachel, I'll research.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you participating in a traditional Seder to which you’ve been invited. My concern is the bastardization and cultural appropriation by non-Jews who twist a very special ceremony to fit a completely different religious tradition.
That would be different, but this was a dozen people in a Christian theological study group, one of whom was Jewish.

Nobody has ever invited me to a REAL Seder.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
That would be different, but this was a dozen people in a Christian theological study group, one of whom was Jewish.

Nobody has ever invited me to a REAL Seder.
I understand the distinction. I’m just saying that as someone who has always struck me as a great friend and ally of the Jewish people, you shouldn’t be afraid to join in if you are (and hopefully will be!) invited to a real Seder. It’s generally a round robin affair where people take turns reading different sections of the Haggadah.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I understand the distinction. I’m just saying that as someone who has always struck me as a great friend and ally of the Jewish people, you shouldn’t be afraid to join in if you are (and hopefully will be!) invited to a real Seder. It’s generally a round robin affair where people take turns reading different sections of the Haggadah.
Thank you for saying that.

I am very much with whomever it was that said "if you are Jewish, be the best Jew you can be, if you are Christian, be the best Christian you can be" and so forth.

I've got a lot of work to do yet to be the best Christian I can be, so I'm not in any position to tell anyone else how to live their lives.

But a belated Chag Pesach Sameach to all our Jewish posters.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:46 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
I am devout Roman Catholic. I agree that the "Christian Seder" is inappropriate and in bad taste.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:49 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Clearly, a "Christian seder" has no meaning in Judaism. What I find disturbing is the casual adaptation of a Jewish religious observance by those who believe that Jews and Judaism are "completed" or "perfected" through Christianity.
Quote:
The only people I have ever heard say "completed" are Jewish people who have converted to Christianity and is used to describe themselves. It's not a term generally used by other Christians.
Trust me, MQ, it's a term that's been used by evangelical Christians -- as well as by the evangelical Jews for Jesus movement. Ann Coulter has more infamously used the term "perfected Jew" in the expression of her belief that "we should all be Christians."

Thanks, MQ, for the Chag Pesach Sameach! You are definitely a friend and ally to the Jewish people.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Trust me, MQ, it's a term that's been used by evangelical Christians -- as well as by the evangelical Jews for Jesus movement. Ann Coulter has more infamously used the term "perfected Jew" in the expression of her belief that "we should all be Christians."

Thanks, MQ, for the Chag Pesach Sameach! You are definitely a friend and ally to the Jewish people.
Ugh, I didn't know that, probably because if I watched TV frequently and Ann Coulter came on I would switch to a nature show or something.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:33 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:

Yes, that is why whenever I see these articles, I don't think highly of the Christians that do this. They remind me of Ann Coulter types and ugh.

My uncle is this type. I remember one time my aunt made deviled eggs without bacon bits and he said, "We aren't Muslims here, we eat bacon!" I hate eggs, so my aunt didn't have to keep me in mind, but she did. That uncle since moved, but his uncomfortable comment never left my mind. He's Atheist, but a devout Ann Coulter and the ilk devotee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism