Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
Oh, and for the record, I got Patted down during my most recent airport experience. Completely a non event. No groping.

A tempest in the proverbial teapot. But then, I can't think for myself, so I guess I don't know when to be outraged.
I so agree, I fly a couple of times a month and have no problems what so ever with TSA or whatever they might do via pat downs or new technology.

This whole TSA thing is the most blown out of proportion, over hyped BS there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
You sure you've been there lately? Because you can get those things at KCI, most of them inside the security gates.
No you can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I agree the airport is way overdue for a modernized terminal, but I don't see KC spending the money any time soon. They don't have it and I doubt the increase in traffic would happen fast enough to justify it in the short term. So in the meantime, we make do. Not because the status quo is okay, but because the alternative is not in the budget right now. It's not that bad. If you use it a lot, you simply plan accordingly.

I have noticed kcmo, that you are full of big ideas and grandiose dreams for the city you love to hate. But I don't see much in the way of explaining how these things would be paid for.
What are you talking about? I always layout funding options to my "grandiose dreams". It just takes people with vision to push them through, something lacking in KC.

Even though it would require some local money, most would come from the federal government. The feds are more than willing to throw some money at KCI because right now, it's one of the most subsidized airports in the nation because of the high cost of the TSA arrangements and general security there. So in the long run, it will save the government money.

Still local money is needed, but it would not come from KCMO. The aviation department is a part of KCMO's government, but is self supporting and self funded. The only thing they would need is a vote of the people to pass bonds to build the terminal. It might also include increasing some airline or ticket fees. But a lot of new revenue would be generated with a new terminal because KCI currently generates almost no revenue compared to similar sized airports via restaurants, retail sales etc because it lacks a central concourse.

KCI wants to and probably will build a new terminal even though most people in KC don't want them to. They will have to find a way to convince voters to pass a bond issue. A new terminal at KCI could open by 2018. I just find it really bizarre that most people don't want them too.

But then again, it was like pulling teeth to convince people that Kemper needed to be replaced or union station needed to be renovated.

Hopefully KC finds a way to do it and it will see hundreds of millions of federal money come to town which will help the economy. KC has thrown away hundreds of millions of federal money because it won't build a light rail system. While KC gets 5 million for some new buses, places like Denver, Minneapolis, St Louis, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, Portland etc get hundreds of millions in federal grants to build and expand transit systems.

But if KC doesn't step up and fund their part and show a desire to build new projects, it won't get those federal funds, which can be as high as 80%. That's a lot of money that KC has watched go to other towns that could have helped KC from construction jobs to engineering jobs.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Indy is a smaller city than KC with a smaller airport (by passengers and flights) , but the airports give the exact opposite impression of each city. While KCI's terminal makes KC feel podunk, small and out of date, and just a little worn out city in the midwest, Indy's new termial makes Indy feel like an up to date, modern and a progressive big city.

Indy:

Quote:
After being transported by people-moving walkways, passengers can go to one of two concourses, with 20 gates each. They can return to Civic Plaza to shop at Vera Bradley, Indiana Marketplace, Hoosier Marketplace, Brooks Brothers or Pacific Outfitters. They can eat at Shapiro's, Cafe Patachou, the Indianapolis 500 Grill & Brickyard Authentics, TGI Fridays or have ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. They can wake up for an early flight with Starbucks coffee and a muffin.
Imagine walking off the jetway into this. With places to eat, lots of displays and large format images showing off the city and its attractions and history.

Or walking off the jetway into a dark, dated, cramped airport that is very crowded in very small areas and a ghosttown in the rest with no places to eat or drink and the only thing you will see about KC is the cheesy wizard of oz crap (which has nothing to do with kansas city, mo) at the little gift shops (if they are open) and if you venture past the secure area.

Nice impression. To me, KCI is depressing, but seeing how first time people to kc react to it is what is even more depressing. The place makes you feel like you just landed in Topeka and you just want get the hell out of there and on to some other better place. Nevermind all the going through security multiple times issues and what not.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Sam, you are incorrect about KCI and its offerings past the security gates.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM

216 posts, read 623,924 times
I have no real opinion about KCI as I haven't flown in there much at all. But I do know that airports make a big difference. I have clear impressions of cities and areas based on the airport experiences I have had there. I don't love Florida, but each of the three airports I have travelled through here give such a positive impression. I love going to the airport here. I even tend to stroll around and have a coffee when I drop my husband off in Tampa. And the small airport nearer to us is a pleasure to visit, with a lovely aquarium exhibit courtesy of the local marine center, a fountain, and attractive signs and decor. And I love the Charlotte NC airport, with the rocking chairs! It just makes me think I would have a nice experience if I visited NC.
A city that wants to attract visitors, or hopes for return visits from travellers, would do well to make their airport welcoming. Is it a priority in KCMO? You all would know better than me.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM

^I hope that, once you do fly through KCI, you'll share your thoughts about the experience!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,505,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
No you can't.
Yes. You can.

There are at least one or two places to eat and one or two gift shop/convenience spots in each of the three terminal rounds. One of these I have seen is a place that sells pizza (I forget which terminal it's in though).

For the last several flights I have taken, I have seen snacks, sandwiches, soda, water bottles and the like for sale INSIDE the secured areas.

There are also restrooms available INSIDE the secured areas.

Come on ... just once, admit that I'm right about something!

Quote:
What are you talking about? I always layout funding options to my "grandiose dreams". It just takes people with vision to push them through, something lacking in KC.
I haven't seen this done to any significant detail, generally speaking. (But you did regarding the airport in response to my post.)

Quote:
The only thing they would need is a vote of the people to pass bonds to build the terminal. It might also include increasing some airline or ticket fees.
This is what people will focus on, unfortunately.

Quote:
But a lot of new revenue would be generated with a new terminal because KCI currently generates almost no revenue compared to similar sized airports via restaurants, retail sales etc because it lacks a central concourse.
I doubt that retail sales taxes and other income generated will pay for much of it very quickly.

Quote:
KCI wants to and probably will build a new terminal even though most people in KC don't want them to. They will have to find a way to convince voters to pass a bond issue. A new terminal at KCI could open by 2018. I just find it really bizarre that most people don't want them too.
It's not something people think about much. And when you ask them to, and you tell them how much it will cost in billions, well, that sure sounds like a lot! They look around them and see things that they would rather see the money spent on or they get angry about money spent in the past that they might see as having been wasted and they vote it down. <shrug>

Quote:
Hopefully KC finds a way to do it and it will see hundreds of millions of federal money come to town which will help the economy.
Honestly though, you have to be careful about this as a selling point as well. People start asking things like "Why does the fed have money to throw around like this???? Is that why my federal taxes are so high????"

It may be disjointed thinking, but it can give people pause and make them reluctant to get on board.

Quote:
But if KC doesn't step up and fund their part and show a desire to build new projects, it won't get those federal funds, which can be as high as 80%. That's a lot of money that KC has watched go to other towns that could have helped KC from construction jobs to engineering jobs.
That's where good leadership is needed.

If there is one thing that you and I can agree on, it's that KC doesn't have good leadership.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:51 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,505,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Sam, you are incorrect about KCI and its offerings past the security gates.
It may vary by terminal or gate area. But I am 100% certain that I have used the services I have described at KCI inside the secured areas.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM

In "some" gates, you can buy a bottle of warm water or an 8 dollar pre made gas station sandwich from a cart. There is also a couple of bathroom stalls now in some gates. Hardly what I would call standard airport services.

And what services that do exist outside the gates (burger king etc) are extremely limited if they are open.

And that's all in gates around Southwest. If you come into terminal C or something, you might not even have those options.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Samantha, I guess it really depends on where in the aiport your flight is leaving from. I have flown out of KCI several times since I've lived here (I want to say 6 maybe?) and often there's been nothing at all. I remember one time I was fairly annoyed because I couldn't even get a freakin' soda. I understand that the way KCI was set up made it difficult to convert to post-9/11 safety standards, but after a decade I feel as though they should have come up with something.

That said, I've also never waited more than like 6 minutes to get through security, so it's hard to complain about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City