Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times

Advertisements

I know this won't keep up but some bloggers who are keeping track of shooting deaths has KCK at 8 murders so far this year and KCMO at 6, technically it should be 5 since the cops shot and killed one of them.
It's kind of shocking that KCK is ahead, but i highly doubt it keeps up.

If this pace keeps up, KCK will be labeled the top 5 most dangerous places in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM

216 posts, read 623,518 times
This is a phenomenon I can't quite come to terms with. I always hear people say, on this forum and elsewhere, that KC is a wonderful, family friendly place to live. Then, from time to time, there is a thread like this that talks about the violent nature of the city and shares some really alarming crime stats. It isn't that I don't think those stats should be discussed, but it is a little hard to reconcile the two viewpoints, especially since they seem to be shared by the same people. If people really feel KC is a very violent and dangerous metro area, then how is it you also feel so happy and comfortable living there.
And I am not trying to start an argument, I'm just asking.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

396 posts, read 998,972 times
Because like any other big city it's a sad reality. But for me it's the fact that these violent crimes occur in a select few neighborhoods in the metro. Not all of KCK is dangerous just like not all of KCMO is dangerous. I'd love to see these stats go down for sure.

Fair enough question though

Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 PM

I have lived in a what some people call a bad area in Midtown/Hyde Park for 4 years now and i've never had anything happen to me (Knock on wood!!).

I know people in Blue Springs/Grain Valley and they have had cars stolen out the driveway, wallet stolen at gas stations, broken car windows, etc.

I just posted this because KCK has a population of 180,000 and KCMO is about 480,000, so i just find it a little shocking.

I really think 95% of homicides are related, either an unpaid debt, lovers quarall, drug issue, etc.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
This is a phenomenon I can't quite come to terms with. I always hear people say, on this forum and elsewhere, that KC is a wonderful, family friendly place to live. Then, from time to time, there is a thread like this that talks about the violent nature of the city and shares some really alarming crime stats. It isn't that I don't think those stats should be discussed, but it is a little hard to reconcile the two viewpoints, especially since they seem to be shared by the same people. If people really feel KC is a very violent and dangerous metro area, then how is it you also feel so happy and comfortable living there.
This is not widespread across the metropolitan areas. Rather, most of these shootings and murders take place in reliably predictable parts of town with a known gang/drug preponderance and no snitch neigborhood policies.

http://crime.kansascity.com/

Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM

89 posts, read 258,809 times
it is interesting that when looking at a few different city & state forums, you see people focusing on crime. I'm simultaneously fascinated and annoyed by the information in the Michigan & Detroit forums, that make it sound as if you'll die if you set foot near the city of Detroit. The truth is, every major city has crime problems, some more than others, but the chance of random crime is truly rather low in most areas of the country.

I think it's good to be aware of major crime issues, and no matter where you are, it is good to have street smarts. If you are somewhat careful and aware of your surroundings and don't do stupid things, your chance of random serious crime is pretty low.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I have lived in a what some people call a bad area in Midtown/Hyde Park for 4 years now and i've never had anything happen to me (Knock on wood!!).

I know people in Blue Springs/Grain Valley and they have had cars stolen out the driveway, wallet stolen at gas stations, broken car windows, etc.

I just posted this because KCK has a population of 180,000 and KCMO is about 480,000, so i just find it a little shocking.

I really think 95% of homicides are related, either an unpaid debt, lovers quarall, drug issue, etc.
Well, if you want to get technical, KCK has like 140,000 and KCMO has like 490,000, so for KCK to have more homicides is pretty bad. But I'm sure it won't last. It will probably end up about the same as it was last year by the end of the year.

ykamom, I don't think the problems should be ignored or we should pretend like they don't exist. I think you have to discuss all the issues, not just those that people want to talk about (something that often gets me in trouble ).

Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I know this won't keep up but some bloggers who are keeping track of shooting deaths has KCK at 8 murders so far this year and KCMO at 6, technically it should be 5 since the cops shot and killed one of them.
It's kind of shocking that KCK is ahead, but i highly doubt it keeps up.

If this pace keeps up, KCK will be labeled the top 5 most dangerous places in my opinion.

Maybe that's why a friend of mine in KCK calls Wyandotte County "Crimedotte".

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 AM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post

Kansas City is a wonderful, family friendly place to live, but crime rates are high here as in all your major cities. I never even think about it. Crime is a fact of daily life in the United States whether you live in the suburbs or the cities. Trust me, there have been some pretty heinous crimes committed in Johnson County. I understand your concern for yourself and your family. I've relocated to different cities (all the low crime ones - St. Louis and Detroit.) I would suggest a home security system to anyone relocating anywhere in the country today.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Now it looks like it might be 9-6 after today.
KCK police investigating death in 800 block of Manorcrest - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/16/2660885/kck-police-investigating-homicide.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City