Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Do you remember the days when you had to "dress" to go to town? My Mom never went up to the square without her hat, high heels. and matching purse. When i was in high school in the Nifty Fiftys, I would try to go to town in my Levi's but she made me wear a dress for a long time. Finally, She let me wear jeans, but--my blouse had to be tucked in. Of course I wanted my shirt hanging out so we'd fuss over that every time. At last I won out, and got to go to the square with my shirt-tails in plain view.

Nowadays what with boys' pants hanging down around their (ahem!) and their underwear on display and girls with all their lingerie showing along with midriffs waaay below their navels and skirts up to the Arctic Circle, an untucked blouse seems like the sublime vs. the ridiculous. Any input out there?
I recall when we would go to the movie in downtown Kansas City, we (the guys) always wore coat and tie. Hats for guys was just going out of style.

The movies were the Empire, Lowes, Roxy, Uptown, and the Capri, which was off Main street on Central Avenue and situated under KMBC TV. It was once known as the Lyric Theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:59 AM

239 posts, read 256,985 times
Someone earlier mentioned Bill Rodokof (spelling?) He is still doing well! He has to come into where I work occasionally..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Well, pearjas, it is good to hear that some of these old timers are still around.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post

We had two main theaters in town, the Plaza on Lexington near Penney's and the Granada, down on West Maple--I think catty-corner from the Methodist Church which I attended as a child. It was beautiful inside with big elaborate staircases going up to the ladies' and men's "lounges" . There was a glassed-in crying room for mommies and babies in the back of the auditorium. And it had AIR CONDITIONING !!! It's a crime that the advent of television made that gorgeous place shut down, along with many others.

There was no cry room in the Plaza and I cannot recall about the Englewood--I am thinking not. There was a cry room in the Granada and the Granada also had something that was for the hearing impaired. Some of their seats must have been rigged for headphones, maybe. I never saw it in use but there were signs here and there in the theater that said there was something available for the hearing impaired.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 06-17-2012 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: need

Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Cry Room

I am now thinking that the Granada had the cry room upstairs on the left if one were looking from the screen.

I am now thinking the Englewood had a cry room at the ground floor level on the right as one were looking from the screen.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM

239 posts, read 256,985 times
He definitely is still around. He always has all kinds of stories to tell!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:42 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
He definitely is still around. He always has all kinds of stories to tell!

Tell him about this thread and see if he can come over add some great memories. I'm sure he's got tons to tell !

Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 PM

I am with MRG Dallas about adding memories and I would like to know how his AMC racing came out.

Also, would like to know where (probably his father) the Packard dealership was in Independence and where.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Default IndeBus

The contest entry is closed now but this is what the new buses serving Independence will look like come July 1. The large Kansas City Area Transit Authority buses will no longer be used as the city now has its own Independence Local Bus Transit contracted company. IndeBus, for short.

These mini buses are reminiscent of the small buses that I rode on for a nickle back in the early 50s.

The charge for a ride is $1.50 on Yellow, Orange, Red, Green, Purple, Blue, and Silver routes, Monday thru Saturday.

Pick up times are something like every one and a half hours with buses originating and converging on the bus center at Truman and Noland, where the KCATA can be boarded for the ride to Kansas City.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I am now thinking the Englewood had a cry room at the ground floor level on the right as one were looking from the screen.
We were in the Englewood Theater on January 1st for a special showing of "The Sound of Music". That grand old theater is in good shape. The cry room was indeed as you described. The owners hope to reopen soon. I think the main issue is the HVAC system.

Welcome to the thread Pearjas. Are you one of the oldies, or just old at heart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City