Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 07:59 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
65? You picked a helluva of time to leave, Vic.

About like me moving to Dallas from KC in early 85 . . .

Timing is everything!
Well, I didn't pick it. I was just shy of 16 that summer, so my upcoming junior year in high school was yet another new adventure.

Yeah, I remember '85. Sorry, but I thought the Royals were the worst team ever to win a World Series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I tried to post the roster of the 1955 Athletics, but it did not copy and there was no place to save. So, here is the link:

1955 Kansas City Athletics Roster by Baseball Almanac

I recognize alot of those names, some of them "semi famous" Of course looking at the DOBs they were in the twilight of their careers (Slaughter, Sain)

Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;34450717]The KC Star use to (perhaps they still do, have not seen one for years) run a list of all the minor league players from the metropolitan area along with their team and pitching or batting statistics. I think it ran on Sundays. I use to be surprised at the number of Independence boys who were in the minors, although almost all did not go anywhere. I cannot recall if they ran the statistics for the major league-rs from the area.

Do you remember any names? More latter day names were Russ Morman (WC) and Rick Sutcliffe (VH) A couple of Raytowners of my era played professionally, one actually making it to the Dodgers for a while (Stan Wall) Other than these guys I can't place anyone else from Indep or Raytown. It was awhile before Albert Pujols showed up

Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That guy surely didn't believe in karma, did he? Hope she was ok.
That was the guy that went on to become a minor league player.

I can only recall her crying and grasping her stomach and I think her and her boyfriend left soon after. I really felt sorry for her. She was around 15.

If some of you folks recall, Charley Finley set his right field in quite a bit at Municipal Stadium, built some bleachers and called it the "Pennant Porch." I think he was trying to match a short outfield distance that was at another ball park. He felt that the shortened distance would provide him with a lot of homers and a pennant. I dont know what he was thinking about the opposition's hitters.

However, MLB had a rule, maybe new, that outfield distances could not not be set below a specified minimum for new construction after a certain date and he was forced to push the porch back but still shorter than originally and he then called it the "Half-Pennant Porch."

The seats in that area were not very many and were the only outfield seats in Municipal Stadium and the price was only $1.50 or $2.00. But since the attendance was down anyway there were never very many people sitting in that porch--and some guys like us came a couple hours early just to watch batting practice.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;34451412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Do you remember any names? More latter day names were Russ Morman (WC) and Rick Sutcliffe (VH) A couple of Raytowners of my era played professionally, one actually making it to the Dodgers for a while (Stan Wall) Other than these guys I can't place anyone else from Indep or Raytown. It was awhile before Albert Pujols showed up
I was in Boy Scouts with Russ Morman's father. Russ is now a manager for a AA team in Virginia.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I tried to post the roster of the 1955 Athletics, but it did not copy and there was no place to save. So, here is the link:

1955 Kansas City Athletics Roster by Baseball Almanac

Holy Moly did you see those salaries? Elmer Valo was making $15,000. That aint $150,000, it is $15,000.

Bob Oliver of the A's went six for six one night. If someone had asked me I would have said it was Joe Demeistri that did it, but the record book says Oliver.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 AM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:
Holy Moly did you see those salaries? Elmer Valo was making $15,000. That aint $150,000, it is $15,000.

Bob Oliver of the A's went six for six one night. If someone had asked me I would have said it was Joe Demeistri that did it, but the record book says Oliver.
$150k? The minimum salary in 2014 is $500.k. The players can thank Curt Flood.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
$150k? The minimum salary in 2014 is $500.k. The players can thank Curt Flood.

And UMKC Law's Don Fehr

Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:

A more current view of Municipal Stadium in Kansas City at 22nd and Brooklyn.

That is the old Lincoln High School with the smokestack on the left.

As I recall you could go to the top row of the upper deck, third base line, and peer over onto the school across the street

Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
That is the old Lincoln High School with the smokestack on the left.

As I recall you could go to the top row of the upper deck, third base line, and peer over onto the school across the street
Wasn't it SAM's PARKING that was directly behind the left field fence? Those were the high price parking spots. Never parked there, but the cost might have been $5.

At one point, under Charley Finley, a relief pitcher was brought out from center field in a Green and Gold Chevrolet hardtop with "A's" painted on the gold (actually yellow) top. The car stuck to the outfield warning, headed to the right field line and turned towards home hugging the right field line until the car got to first base or so and then let the relief pitcher out.

Harry Truman was brought in that way one time but I forget what the occasion was--maybe to throw the first pitch of the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City