Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM

37 posts, read 35,470 times

Advertisements

Greetings from a new reader.

I found your discussion when trying to find information on the old Kiddie Land on US 24- one of my favorite places in the early 60's. I have been trying to read through all of the entries before joining so as to avoid bringing up topics that have already been covered. However, as I am only up to page 442, I think I better just join in and wing it. It has been great to see all of the pictures and discussion about my old hometown. I have a list of comments and questions but will start with just one general topic: Swimming lakes. I went to Doutt's lake quite often (again in the 60's). I also remember going to a place called Sunny Shores on US-50 a bit west of Noland. I have searched for it but not found information. Perhaps it had a somewhat different name? I also recall a swimming lake east of the Bundschu at US-24 intersection. Does anyone recall? If you have already discussed these let me know - I will get to them eventually as I keep reading the old posts.

Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post

I found your discussion when trying to find information on the old Kiddie Land on US 24- one of my favorite places in the early 60's. I have been trying to read through all of the entries before joining so as to avoid bringing up topics that have already been covered. However, as I am only up to page 442, I think I better just join in and wing it. It has been great to see all of the pictures and discussion about my old hometown. I have a list of comments and questions but will start with just one general topic: Swimming lakes. I went to Doutt's lake quite often (again in the 60's). I also remember going to a place called Sunny Shores on US-50 a bit west of Noland. I have searched for it but not found information. Perhaps it had a somewhat different name? I also recall a swimming lake east of the Bundschu at US-24 intersection. Does anyone recall? If you have already discussed these let me know - I will get to them eventually as I keep reading the old posts.

Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975

Hello Chuck,

Let me be the first to welcome you. Don't worry about duplication here, we've all discussed numerous topics on/off again, so feel free to bring up any topic, question or memories even if you've seen it here.

I don't recall a swimming lake near the "Knobtown" area but in looking at maps, there is a large watering hole west of Noland on the south side of US 50. Maybe that is what you're referring to. Looks like it might be part of a golf course now.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:19 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:

Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975
Welcome, I dont recall anything about those two places and dont believe they have been discussed previously. I was going to defer to MRG Dallas and he got right in.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Yes, the Sanborn maps seemed to have it listed as Opera House #2 but upon second look it seems to say Opera House, 2nd. At any rate, a fire put it out of business.
Oh, actually that means the Opera House was on the 2nd floor.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975
Welcome from another WCHS grad! We don't mind rehashing, as we have lost some followers and added others. I'll check watering holes later this evening. Stay tuned...

Old 06-26-2015, 03:25 PM

This fellow has a five-mile long street in Independence named after him.

One of his claims to fame (?) is that he ordered a huge number of expensive ten-cent cigars after a salesman gave him a great and perhaps extraordinary sales pitch.

Our subject must have thought the sales pitch was over hyped or comical and believing the order could not be processed bluffed an order for 10,000 of the miracle smokes.

A few days later, 10,000 showed up in a shipment.

He could not hope to sell them at retail so he advertised them at 5 cents a pop, incurring a substantial loss.

Who is this guy?

This sort of reminds me of when Cascio’s Food Mart (the largest supermarket west of the Mississippi in advertisements until the claim was legally challenged) opened on Hiway 40 in Independence.

I dont know how many cases were involved, but the owner must have ordered 10,000 cases of Van Camp pork ‘n beans number 303 can and the same amount of Red Top beer in the can for the Grand Opening sale in 1962.

It took almost two years to sell all of this beans and beer at reduced prices.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Oh, actually that means the Opera House was on the 2nd floor.
Doh! I think you are right.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Hello Chuck,

Let me be the first to welcome you. Don't worry about duplication here, we've all discussed numerous topics on/off again, so feel free to bring up any topic, question or memories even if you've seen it here.

I don't recall a swimming lake near the "Knobtown" area but in looking at maps, there is a large watering hole west of Noland on the south side of US 50. Maybe that is what you're referring to. Looks like it might be part of a golf course now.

A note about the area known as Knobtown at Noland and then US 50.

There was a gas station out there near or at the intersection. That station would from time to time sell gas cheaper than anywhere else would. I learned when gas was lower in Knobtown from classmates as this was too far for me to drive to gas up if the price did not prove to be lower than in Independence when I got there.

Back then, there were no traffic lights, no stop signs, and no Kansas City, Missouri from US 40 to US 50. It seemed like it took forever to drive there but the distance is only five miles between those two highways.

However, at the time it seemed a long, long way to me.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
... Swimming lakes. I went to Doutt's lake quite often (again in the 60's). I also remember going to a place called Sunny Shores on US-50 a bit west of Noland. I have searched for it but not found information. Perhaps it had a somewhat different name?

Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975
This is how Knobtown appeared on June 28, 1963. Just above the first "2" of "22" there is a small lake. It is still there today. Would that be that of which you reminisce?

[/url]

Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This fellow has a five-mile long street in Independence named after him.

One of his claims to fame (?) is that he ordered a huge number of expensive ten-cent cigars after a salesman gave him a great and perhaps extraordinary sales pitch.

Our subject must have thought the sales pitch was over hyped or comical and believing the order could not be processed bluffed an order for 10,000 of the miracle smokes.

A few days later, 10,000 showed up in a shipment.

He could not hope to sell them at retail so he advertised them at 5 cents a pop, incurring a substantial loss.

Who is this guy?

This sort of reminds me of when Cascio’s Food Mart (the largest supermarket west of the Mississippi in advertisements until the claim was legally challenged) opened on Hiway 40 in Independence.

I dont know how many cases were involved, but the owner must have ordered 10,000 cases of Van Camp pork ‘n beans number 303 can and the same amount of Red Top beer in the can for the Grand Opening sale in 1962.

It took almost two years to sell all of this beans and beer at reduced prices.
Bundschu perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City