Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM

18 posts, read 36,541 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I'm relocating from Indianapolis and I accepted a promotion at Fort Leavenworth. Should be more excited than what I am, but still happy. I'm a single guy, early 30s and looking for a place to live (apartment/loft). I was looking at a few of the older Leavenworth posts on here from a few years ago and it seems like there's nothing much in that city, as far as apartments and things to do. I was also looking at cities in Platte County, MO like Parkville and the Weatherby Lake area for spots to live, because it doesn't look like a bad commute on the map. I keep hearing about the Zona Rosa area and/or apartments..?

Just trying to find a place that has a mix of a somewhat urban lifestyle with nightlife and restaurants (but can also be a quiet neighborhood at times)
About a 20 mile max (not sure how many minutes that would be) commute to and from Leavenworth.
Upscale neighborhood
Lakes nearby would be nice.
$1000 or less for a one or two bedroom.

Does anybody know of any upscale, nice apartments in the Platte County area, or in Leavenworth? Any help would be great. You guys rock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I would just live in downtown kcmo and make the drive, I really would. It's 40 minutes to Ft Leav, but I think you would be miserable in Leav County. I don't see it being very appealing to you. It's kinda countrified.

You could do Platte County where you will at least find lots of apartment choices and at least be in a nice suburban area with zona rosa nearby and still be within 30 minutes of downtown.

Depends on how much you would be going downtown. If I were you, I would just deal with the commute and live in the city, otherwise you won't really be able to really enjoy KC, especially since you are new to the area and would want to be in a more active area where you can meet people etc.

The KCK/Leavenworth side of metro KC is weird. You will see when you get there, but it’s not big city culture at all. Check out the River Market. It's urban, walkable near all kinds of stuff, yet is a relativley quiet area.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Full disclosure - It's been 20 years since I was stationed at Fort Leavenworth. I chose to reside in Platte City. It was a nice little community that I felt was an upgrade over Lansing/Leavenworth while offering good proximity to the KC Northland and entertainment/cultural trappings south of the river.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Full disclosure - It's been 20 years since I was stationed at Fort Leavenworth. I chose to reside in Platte City. It was a nice little community that I felt was an upgrade over Lansing/Leavenworth while offering good proximity to the KC Northland and entertainment/cultural trappings south of the river.

I'll definitely look at Platte City grmasterb. Seems like a nice drive to the Northland to check out some cool things!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Thank you for the detailed information kcmo. I think Platte County could possibly be the ideal spot, but if downtown KC is pretty cool, I could do that, and bite the bullet and drive 40 min, though 30 min sounds better. Do you know much about Parkville, Zona Rosa and Weatherby Lake? It's all about trying to find some nice places. I didn't know KCK and KCMO were so different.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuspartan View Post
Thank you for the detailed information kcmo. I think Platte County could possibly be the ideal spot, but if downtown KC is pretty cool, I could do that, and bite the bullet and drive 40 min, though 30 min sounds better. Do you know much about Parkville, Zona Rosa and Weatherby Lake? It's all about trying to find some nice places. I didn't know KCK and KCMO were so different.
Yea, KCK is pretty much an industrial blue collar suburb of KC. It's not a terrible place, but it definitely has its own insular culture and there is really no indication that KCK will ever gentrify, especially since the city puts all of its efforts in developing suburban retail on the far west side of town and nothing into the actual city itself. As you go west in KCK, it quickly takes on a rural culture even though it's semi urban/suburban. Leavenworth is culturally isolated from Metro KC and that area tends to be more small town and rural feeling than suburbia of a big city. KCK is sort of like a small rural city that is lost and happens to be near a large metro only they do have some urban big city problems in parts. Like I said, weird place.

On the Kansas side, Johnson County is your more typical big city suburban area.

Platte County is very nice. Parkville is a small town with a neat little downtown and some nice park space along the river, but most of is typical sprawl and most of what people consider to be Parkville is actually the city limits of KCMO. Downtown Parkville is basically where the town of Parkville is, all the newer areas around it are KCMO and that’s where you will find some newer apartments and stuff although it’s mostly single family.

The I-29 corridor has many apartment complexes from Downtown all the way to KCI airport. That’s all pretty much KCMO city limits and it all nice suburban areas. Weatherby Lake is nice, but it’s just single family homes, again, the area around it where you might find something would be in KCMO. But it’s a nice suburban area.

If you want to have a quick drive, I would look at the Tiffany Springs area near Zona Rosa. That way you can just hop on 152 and into LV county. Now if you want a really short commute, then Platte City is nice. It’s very small town, but it’s also pretty nice and growing very fast, so it has more of a suburban feel to it than you would think. But you would have to drive to everything.

I still say you should try downtown kcmo first. It’s only about ten minutes longer commute to Ft Leav than Parkville or something and I-70 in KCK is wide open all the time. No traffic at all to deal with.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 35,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuspartan View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm relocating from Indianapolis and I accepted a promotion at Fort Leavenworth. Should be more excited than what I am, but still happy. I'm a single guy, early 30s and looking for a place to live (apartment/loft). I was looking at a few of the older Leavenworth posts on here from a few years ago and it seems like there's nothing much in that city, as far as apartments and things to do. I was also looking at cities in Platte County, MO like Parkville and the Weatherby Lake area for spots to live, because it doesn't look like a bad commute on the map. I keep hearing about the Zona Rosa area and/or apartments..?

Just trying to find a place that has a mix of a somewhat urban lifestyle with nightlife and restaurants (but can also be a quiet neighborhood at times)
About a 20 mile max (not sure how many minutes that would be) commute to and from Leavenworth.
Upscale neighborhood
Lakes nearby would be nice.
$1000 or less for a one or two bedroom.

Does anybody know of any upscale, nice apartments in the Platte County area, or in Leavenworth? Any help would be great. You guys rock!
Hi, I'm being stationed at ft Leavenworth later this year. I've lived in Texas for the past five years and love city life. I'm thinking of living in dtkc or zona rosa. I'm in my late 20's, want safety and an upscale area, close to shopping, outdoor activities and nightlife. What do you recommend? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City