Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 AM

20 posts, read 38,614 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have read a LOT of great information about relocating in this forum recently and it is actually kind of overwhelming. It seems like there are many neighborhoods that we could live in and they are all in really different areas. We have a 15 month old and really want to live in a neighborhood FULL of kids his age. We are relocating from Capitol Hill in DC where there are 7 kids within 6 months of his age just in a 2 block radius and we want to get as close to that as we can. We're going to rent for the first year while we make sure everything suits us.

So we're planning a scouting trip and I am wondering what the best thing to do would be. Craigslist? A realtor? A mixture? Is there some other website that is good for rentals and such? If a realtor, how do you find one that knows a lot about young families? We definitely want to look at Brookside, but it seems like some of the burbs will be good as well.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some pointers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Finding rentals is hard because there isnt just one single repository like there are for home sales. They are scattered all over the place. People I know that have found rentals have done so by just driving by it.

If you are looking for a rental within the suburbs of KC, especially the Northland, you better be quick on your feet. I had a friend who had been looking for a good rental house and just happened to drive by one as the guy was putting the for rent sign in his yard. He showed them the house and they agreed on terms right there and he had it leased out within a couple of hours of putting the sign in his yard. He kept the sign in his yard for a couple of days while the check cleared and the credit check passed and in those two days he got over 50 calls and even had people over him $200 more than he was asking. Rentals are scarce in the Northland right now or at least good ones are.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Hmm, that is certainly scary as we are relocating from D.C. so we can't really drive around town. We have 3 days... so maybe it sounds like places like Northland are out.

You don't think a good realtor could arrange things or around there is it mostly sales only? In D.C., there is a huge rental market so you can easily arrange things with a realtor to show you a number of homes on specific dates.

It just seems surprising. I mean, DC is that way but I figured moving to KC would be much more laid back.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
If you are relocating for a job a relo company should be helping you; or the company to which you are coming to join should be setting you up with someone.

Generally Realtors in the KC area deal with sales as they earn no commission by showing rentals.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marpepp View Post
Hmm, that is certainly scary as we are relocating from D.C. so we can't really drive around town. We have 3 days... so maybe it sounds like places like Northland are out.

You don't think a good realtor could arrange things or around there is it mostly sales only? In D.C., there is a huge rental market so you can easily arrange things with a realtor to show you a number of homes on specific dates.

It just seems surprising. I mean, DC is that way but I figured moving to KC would be much more laid back.
I moved from KC to DC and before moving to DC, I had no idea that realtors are even used for rentals. It didn't take long to figure out that realtors have just as many rentals and are just as willing to show them as for sale properties.

In DC I had several realtors looking for me and sending me listings with dozens of homes on them. It was the same process as buying a home. It was quite nice.

It is not like that in KC. I tried to list my rental home with realtors in KC and got nowhere.

DC has rentals on Craigslist too, but you have to sift through the scams.

I honestly think the best route in KC is probably craigslist or a few of the rental websites. You should have good luck with those. I have always rented my home via CL in KC.

As always, if it's too good to be true, then it's probably wise to skip it and move one. If the owner is some imaginary out of town owner that is hungry for a deposit, then skip it for sure. If they are ready to approve you with few questions about you or your history, probably a scam. Don't wire money etc.

Good rentals are hard to find. My home in Blue Springs has all the updates. Modern kitchen, granite, tile, all new appliances, contemporary lighting, $15,000 deck, four beds and it's only 1300 a month. But there were homes blocks away that were not near as nice for $1500 a month. I landed a solid long term tenant and was able to choose who I wanted in my home.

I think you are just going to have to really do some homework and have a very very busy 3 days in KC. That’s what I did. I was basally working 24hours a day looking for homes and had about 2-3 days to find one, get a contract, get approved, and be ready to move in within a week. Talk about stress.

So don’t count any area out. KC is a large metro, but it’s still small enough to navigate and view dozens of homes across the entire metro area with ease and you could easily cover the entire metro in a couple of days. It’s all in the logistics and having as much set up in advance as possible.

BTW, I would use google earth and get organized. Just locate all the properties you want to look at with google earth. You can use placemarks and notes and transfer that to a smartphone.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. This is really scary and overwhelming. Silly me, I just assumed I could do the same thing as DC, but I guess this is the first change of many.

I will certainly talk to my future employer, but it's a really small company so it's not like they have those things set up. I asked the employees and most of them live in Prairie Village but everything I've read makes me think Brookside is more up our ally. So we'll look at both I guess.

I was really just hoping for a realtor so that someone who really knows the area well can point us to the neighborhoods with the most little kids... no one at my future job has kids so they aren't much help there.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Can I ask what your budget is? That would help me make more tailored suggestions!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marpepp View Post

Realtors do not do rentals for the most part but there are acceptions.

Your best luck is Craigslist and to contact Property Management Companies that manage rentals for landlords. Here are a couple that I know:

Terry Flood Real Estate - Welcome To Terry W.Flood Real Estate | Terry W.Flood Real Estate

KC Home Rentals - Welcome to KC Home Rental

Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Our budget is hopefully $1400 or less (we would make exceptions if something was unbelievable). Thanks for any thoughts!

Those links were really great. Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
At $1400 you may be a bit priced out of the heart of Brookside, but should be able to find something in the vicinity. Waldo is the neighborhood just south and you could get a very nice bungalow at that price easily.

That area is probably the area that best combines family-oriented living and walkability, but I would also encourage you to look in Volker, Roanoke and Coleman Highlands. Your budget will go a bit further there, but the area is very nice. Some of the inner ring suburbs just on the KS side are very nice as well, though less walkable.

Where will you be working?

You should end up with plenty of options, and if you narrow down to a few neighborhoods you like from afar, I think 3 days will be plenty to find what you're looking for. When will you be here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City