Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times

Advertisements

Kansas City makes list of top 10 world destinations for 2012 - Kansas City Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 PM

455 posts, read 772,198 times
Even though the article is about 10 months old it definitely rings true - As a California native who now lives in Austin, TX, I think Kansas City is a true gem, and a extremely underrated city most Americans have never visited. The city offers so much entertainment value and culture for its size, Fantastic BBQ and Food Scene, The Plaza, Westport, River Market, Awesome entertainment venues, Boulevard Brewing Company . . . 3 Pro Sports teams, World War I Museum, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kemper Museum, and very friendly people -- Hopefully its residents on both sides of the aisle get to appreciate all it has to offer.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM

20 posts, read 40,404 times
KC is definitely underrated, that's for sure. They have Sprint, Hallmark, Russell Stover, Applebees, and H&R Block, just to name a few companies. Crown Center is a fine place to visit, but impossible to not buy from their stores. KC Power & Light District is pretty nice, but the people that frequent there....not so much. Sprint Center is a pretty neat arena, but that doesn't mean that Kemper Arena should be totally neglected. They should convert Kemper into an hockey-arena and do more to match the other teams of the NHL. The Legends of Village West has to be one of the best outlet malls in the midwest, though I was really sad to see that the Best Buy across the street from there had closed. If Brandsmart USA were to ever expand outside their GA and FL markets into the midwest, Village West would be a perfect location to build one at.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM

455 posts, read 772,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux0817 View Post
KC is definitely underrated, that's for sure. They have Sprint, Hallmark, Russell Stover, Applebees, and H&R Block, just to name a few companies.

......you had me until you said Applebee's.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
KC is definitely underrated, that's for sure. They have Sprint, Hallmark, Russell Stover, Applebees, and H&R Block, just to name a few companies. Crown Center is a fine place to visit, but impossible to not buy from their stores. KC Power & Light District is pretty nice, but the people that frequent there....not so much. Sprint Center is a pretty neat arena, but that doesn't mean that Kemper Arena should be totally neglected. They should convert Kemper into an hockey-arena and do more to match the other teams of the NHL. The Legends of Village West has to be one of the best outlet malls in the midwest, though I was really sad to see that the Best Buy across the street from there had closed. If Brandsmart USA were to ever expand outside their GA and FL markets into the midwest, Village West would be a perfect location to build one at.
They built one of the nicest arenas in the country and you think an NHL team should move to Kemper? I know every part of Kemper. I spent my childhood running around that place. That place is a hole and isnt going to attract a major league sports team. We already have a minor league team playing in a nicer arena in Independence. Kemper isnt going to attract anything other than rodeos and monster truck rallies.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM

267 posts, read 619,007 times
Um, didn't they already make Kemper the dedicated place for American Royal only? So I would guess only events similar to that would be held there.

I honestly don't care that we don't have an NBA or NHL team. The former takes a back seat to college basketball in most markets, and the latter just doesn't have much of a fanbase outside of Canadia, Minnesota, and Scandinavia. I'm just glad to see we have a thriving MLS team, with its own very nice stadium, so we aren't just stuck with the crappy red and blue pro teams. If KC should become known sportswise, it should be known for sporting (and maybe nearby KU at a stretch).

Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
KC will always be known for the chiefs and royals. Nobody outside of KC (unless they follow MLS, which is a tiny percent of population) knows what the hell the sporting are (just being honest). I have brought up KC's MLS team around here and it's hard enough to find somebody that knows who the hell the DC United are.

KU is associated with Kansas not KC nationally.

I talk sports with people all the time and while, I don't come out and say I'm a KC fan all that often (sometimes have on a ballcap), I will often say it when people start to complain about their teams. I was talking to a guy in Philly this weekend who was a mets fan and he was like it sucks being a mets fan. I was like, dude, at least you are not a Royals fan haha. Yet he was like, at least the Royals are getting better. The Royals and Chiefs and quite well known because they are the two most popular leagues and both teams have had past success, even if they do suck now. KC is lucky to have them. A sucky MLB or NFL team is better than a very good NHL or NBA team, unless that team is extremely good. OKC's NBA team is really putting OKC on the map for example. But few would even know that KC has an NBA or NHL team if it were a sucky team or even a mediocre one.

Having said that, I think KC should have the NBA or NHL. The city needs a team and a pro sports team to follow during the winter months. It would do wonders for downtown to have Sprint Center filled another 40 nights a winter.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Kemper sucks. Time to move on. The place should be converted to an agri biz arena only (not torn down).

KC used to have brands mart locations, that company used to be national. Didn't think much of it when it was in KC.

I can't believe the Legends is now one of the most talked about places in KC now. Good lord... I don't think a place could possibly be more overrated than village west.

Anyway, KC made the Frommer's list because of the Nelson, Performing Arts Center, Plaza etc, not freaking village west. KCMO made the list, not kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City