U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM
 
Location: south FL
14 posts, read 17,110 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, it's my birthday weekend, will def be out and about, most likely Plaza/Westport. Feel free to drop me a direct message if you're in the area; my sister will be visiting from out of state during that same stretch of time, and it's her first time in KC, so we'll definitely be touring various establishments for her benefit.
Great! Other than meeting nice people, it'd be great to tour some places as well!
Thanks!
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,130,634 times
Reputation: 532
Check this for some local events going on. Set zip to 64111 and set to 5 mile radius...

Events in Kansas City | Local Ruckus


And much broader list... (is set to Downtown, also change to Midtown and Plaza)...
The Pitch | Events | Downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: south FL
14 posts, read 17,110 times
Reputation: 20
Well I'm here and have looked at several properties over the last 2 days, think I found at least a couple I like.
If anyone is out and about tonight and would like to meet up for a drink and talk about KC, let me know!
Thanks,
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
 
14 posts, read 25,577 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Bound View Post
Hello all.
I've read several threads on moving to KC, so thought I'd customize this so its personal to me and hope to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance.
I'm a 33 yr old single male. I've only been to KC once to interview, so I didn't have much time to scope areas to live. Based on feedback from this forum, I've isolated downtown (Financial district/P&L, etc) as a possible location, as well as the Plaza area.
I am single and look to meet interesting people, including single women. My first question is, which of the two locations mentioned above would be better for someone to go out for drinks, dinner, entertainment, and just to meet nice people in general? Walking would be nice to get some exercise, even in winter!
I've heard the Plaza area is quite popular for professional singles. I've heard sometimes its very "Sex and the City" females types in the Plaza area that like martinis and such. Not trying to generalize or stereotype, but women that are wayyyy too into themselves is a huge turnoff. Looking forward to moving back to Midwest (grew up in suburban Chicagoland) to be around genuinely nice people. South Florida is a little blah in that regard.
I will be able to get a nice place downtown, maybe Wallstreet Towers, maybe something else. My research has shown the Plaza would be a little more affordable in regards to housing. But the downtown vibe (if KC truly has one) would be enticing to a primarily suburban person like myself.
So from the single men out there, what is your opinion on the single scene? Haven't been able to glean too much on the overall quality of living when it comes to relationships out there.
Thanks everyone!
KC Bound
KC Bound,

I didn't read through the entire thread, but here's some good advice to know. I'm from KC and also went to community college there, moved away for undergrad, and now back in KC. There are MANY areas to live that all have a lot to offer so I'll take you through it.

Rivermarket area:
Like 3rd through 7th street, right by the river (go figure!). I've never been super into this area, but there are a couple cool bars and I have friends that live there. There's a farmer's market there too and some shopping. Not the most popular scene.

Power&Light/Downtown:
8th street through 18th-ish. P&L was super cool when it first opened, but it's really not all that great. Parking is NOT FREE to go anywhere, which is pretty nuts for KC. Drinks are incredibly overpriced and every bar has cover. When it first opened, everyone rushed there from Westport, but now it's sort of a dying district. It's doing so poorly that they have free concerts every Friday (when weather permits) just to bring business back from Westport. I find that it tends to be people that just turn 21, people from out of town, and older professionals.

Crossroads:
18th street to 30th street. This is where first fridays (an art event the first friday every month) is. It's a neat area, but not super busy besides that one time of the month. Martini Corner is another bar area that is busy and young, and that's only a few blocks away. I don't go there much, but the bars are pretty cool.

Westport:
This is a specific area of "Midtown" which is from 31st to the beginning of the plaza (43rd, 45th, that area). This is known as not being the safest, but it's the best! Some of the cheapest cost of living in the city and you can find very safe little nooks, as well as some unsafer places with pretty cheap rent if you're fine with that. You can get a pretty good bang for your buck. Westport bars are on Westport Road and Pennsylvania. It is a super neat district, more affordable drinks, super busy, and a young crowd. I love this area and all my friends live there. You have some bars that are more college aged students, but a lot that are young professionals aged 25-35. You will find more down to earth people in this are than the plaza (no means to offend, but it's not as fancy as the plaza!).

Plaza:
This is like 46th to 50th street. The plaza is super cool (first shopping center ever created) but it's very pricey. The drinks are expensive, food is expensive, shopping is expensive. I have friends that live here too, but the rent is pretty steep. This is a little bit of an older crowd than Westport because it's nicer. You also get a lot of married and professional folks from Johnson County. You can live in Westport and still go out to the plaza or vice versa and expect to pay 5-10 for a cab. If you live in Westport and want to go to P&L or vice versa, you can expect a cab to be at least 20 because they're like 20-30 blocks apart.

Brookside:
This is a more suburban part of the city located just south of the plaza. This is where a lot of people live that love the city but have kids. Also, some guys who want a good house for parties and roommates will live in Brookside. There are some neat bars there too and some great restaurants, so it depends on if you want to live near the plaza but just pay a little less, it's an option. There is more housing here than apartments, from what I've noticed.

Hope this helps! KC is great with lots to do. I love it and consider it a great place to call home. Hope you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
 
Location: south FL
14 posts, read 17,110 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygreatwood View Post
KC Bound,

I didn't read through the entire thread, but here's some good advice to know. I'm from KC and also went to community college there, moved away for undergrad, and now back in KC. There are MANY areas to live that all have a lot to offer so I'll take you through it.

Rivermarket area:
Like 3rd through 7th street, right by the river (go figure!). I've never been super into this area, but there are a couple cool bars and I have friends that live there. There's a farmer's market there too and some shopping. Not the most popular scene.

Power&Light/Downtown:
8th street through 18th-ish. P&L was super cool when it first opened, but it's really not all that great. Parking is NOT FREE to go anywhere, which is pretty nuts for KC. Drinks are incredibly overpriced and every bar has cover. When it first opened, everyone rushed there from Westport, but now it's sort of a dying district. It's doing so poorly that they have free concerts every Friday (when weather permits) just to bring business back from Westport. I find that it tends to be people that just turn 21, people from out of town, and older professionals.

Crossroads:
18th street to 30th street. This is where first fridays (an art event the first friday every month) is. It's a neat area, but not super busy besides that one time of the month. Martini Corner is another bar area that is busy and young, and that's only a few blocks away. I don't go there much, but the bars are pretty cool.

Westport:
This is a specific area of "Midtown" which is from 31st to the beginning of the plaza (43rd, 45th, that area). This is known as not being the safest, but it's the best! Some of the cheapest cost of living in the city and you can find very safe little nooks, as well as some unsafer places with pretty cheap rent if you're fine with that. You can get a pretty good bang for your buck. Westport bars are on Westport Road and Pennsylvania. It is a super neat district, more affordable drinks, super busy, and a young crowd. I love this area and all my friends live there. You have some bars that are more college aged students, but a lot that are young professionals aged 25-35. You will find more down to earth people in this are than the plaza (no means to offend, but it's not as fancy as the plaza!).

Plaza:
This is like 46th to 50th street. The plaza is super cool (first shopping center ever created) but it's very pricey. The drinks are expensive, food is expensive, shopping is expensive. I have friends that live here too, but the rent is pretty steep. This is a little bit of an older crowd than Westport because it's nicer. You also get a lot of married and professional folks from Johnson County. You can live in Westport and still go out to the plaza or vice versa and expect to pay 5-10 for a cab. If you live in Westport and want to go to P&L or vice versa, you can expect a cab to be at least 20 because they're like 20-30 blocks apart.

Brookside:
This is a more suburban part of the city located just south of the plaza. This is where a lot of people live that love the city but have kids. Also, some guys who want a good house for parties and roommates will live in Brookside. There are some neat bars there too and some great restaurants, so it depends on if you want to live near the plaza but just pay a little less, it's an option. There is more housing here than apartments, from what I've noticed.

Hope this helps! KC is great with lots to do. I love it and consider it a great place to call home. Hope you enjoy.
Thank you Lady, more great info!

I too found downtown and even River Market to be places to visit when necessary (City Market, or even a drink/dinner downtown) opposed to places to live. Library Lofts had a nice unit with north views, but in the end I think the younger crowd would tire me as I am past that post-college phase.

I found an amazing townhome in Union Hill that I fell in love with. I debated about the Plaza but to be honest I can just drive to Westport or the Plaza when necessary. I liked those areas a lot, just didn't find housing that I liked or that I felt was worth the value.

Thanks again!!! Looking forward to my new home town.

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,130,634 times
Reputation: 532
Union Hill is a nice area and has Martini Corner nearby. Not really any basic amenities otherwise (retail, other than Costco) but there is quite a bit of retail/markets within a 2 mile drive. The streetcar will likely eventually go by Union Hill along Main too. Is interesting you find River Market as a place to visit and not live as that's one of my favorite downtown neighborhoods and would be my first choice to live if down there. My brother used to live there and really liked it. Though you did describe yourself as more a suburban type so Union Hill and W Plaza area might fit your taste in city rather than the warehouse loft thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,174,200 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Bound View Post

I found an amazing townhome in Union Hill that I fell in love with.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. Union Hill is already great, and slowly (kind of in fits and starts) getting even closer to being a fully realized neighborhood. Plus, you're right on the MAX line, walkable distance to the streetcar route, and likely to be on the next streetcar extension. It's one of those hidden gem neighborhoods that even locals tend to forget about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 AM
 
14 posts, read 25,577 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Bound View Post
Thank you Lady, more great info!

I too found downtown and even River Market to be places to visit when necessary (City Market, or even a drink/dinner downtown) opposed to places to live. Library Lofts had a nice unit with north views, but in the end I think the younger crowd would tire me as I am past that post-college phase.

I found an amazing townhome in Union Hill that I fell in love with. I debated about the Plaza but to be honest I can just drive to Westport or the Plaza when necessary. I liked those areas a lot, just didn't find housing that I liked or that I felt was worth the value.

Thanks again!!! Looking forward to my new home town.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Ah congrats on finding a place and I hope you enjoy KC! If you're ever in Westport, Harry's Country club has an amazing patio in summer, The Foundry/McCoy's brews their own beer and is damn tasty, the Union is a funky underground club with a NY feel, and Portfonda is an up and coming tequila bar with some very creative cocktails. Just a few places of many to try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top