Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 PM

34 posts, read 138,202 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving through KC pretty soon on I-70. I've never been there before and I'm not familiar with the city. I definitely want to stop for some outstanding bbq in Kansas City. What would be #1 (not too far off route from I-70)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepuss View Post
I'll be driving through KC pretty soon on I-70. I've never been there before and I'm not familiar with the city. I definitely want to stop for some outstanding bbq in Kansas City. What would be #1 (not too far off route from I-70)?
Arthur Bryant's is one of the best experiences, the original location is right off I-70 on Brooklyn Ave, and while it's frequently sought out by business (or otherwise legit) folks at lunch time everyday, it is sort of in the hood! Again, Arthur Bryant's is sort of a lunch spot specifically and is NOT fancy. If that doesn't sound appealing and want a suburban environment, you can try Arthur Bryant's location in Kansas City, KS off I-70 and I-435 in the Village West shopping area. I think Arthur Bryant's is my favorite, and they have a locally-unique sauce that's thin and vinegary with a fair amount of mustard flavoring.

If you want a nice, sit-down restaurant, I would recommend Jack Stack. There are multiple locations, but the Freight House District location provides the the coolest location, and great if you want a glimpse of downtown KC on the ground. Jack Stack is just south of I-70 in downtown Kansas City, MO.

Gate's BBQ has multiple locations and is a standard experience. Good food, good sauce, cafeteria style ordering, and a nice and fairly unique place to sit down for a bit. You would have to look at a map and decide for yourself which location you might want to stop at. I'd recommend Linwood and Main in Kansas City, MO, if you want to catch at least a glimpse of the actual city of KC.

Oklahoma Joe's BBQ is a famous KC institution and not too far off I-70. While it's an institution and has a sit-down dining area, it's uniquely located in a gas station. A lot of folks rave about Oklahoma Joe's, but it's not my favorite. Oklahoma Joe's is at 47th and Mission Rd in Kansas City, KS.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:12 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Good post by mokan. Agree 100%

Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Yep, any of those are not too far off your path and are considered quintessential.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Arthur Bryant's is one of the best experiences, the original location is right off I-70 on Brooklyn Ave, and while it's frequently sought out by business (or otherwise legit) folks at lunch time everyday, it is sort of in the hood! Again, Arthur Bryant's is sort of a lunch spot specifically and is NOT fancy. If that doesn't sound appealing and want a suburban environment, you can try Arthur Bryant's location in Kansas City, KS off I-70 and I-435 in the Village West shopping area. I think Arthur Bryant's is my favorite, and they have a locally-unique sauce that's thin and vinegary with a fair amount of mustard flavoring.

If you want a nice, sit-down restaurant, I would recommend Jack Stack. There are multiple locations, but the Freight House District location provides the the coolest location, and great if you want a glimpse of downtown KC on the ground. Jack Stack is just south of I-70 in downtown Kansas City, MO.

Gate's BBQ has multiple locations and is a standard experience. Good food, good sauce, cafeteria style ordering, and a nice and fairly unique place to sit down for a bit. You would have to look at a map and decide for yourself which location you might want to stop at. I'd recommend Linwood and Main in Kansas City, MO, if you want to catch at least a glimpse of the actual city of KC.

Oklahoma Joe's BBQ is a famous KC institution and not too far off I-70. While it's an institution and has a sit-down dining area, it's uniquely located in a gas station. A lot of folks rave about Oklahoma Joe's, but it's not my favorite. Oklahoma Joe's is at 47th and Mission Rd in Kansas City, KS.
It sounds like you like Jack Stack better than Oklahoma Joe's. On yelp or tripadvisor it seemed like a lot of folks were reversed on those two. What do y' all think?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM

Jack Stack no question. OK joes is overrated if you ask me. Jack Stack is also a great full service sit down place which is nice when you have been traveling. If you are going to eat a whole in the wall type place (which is what OK joes is), there are better places like Bryants, LC's etc. I personally like Gates and it's a KC "experience" to eat there. I love gates sauce and their turkey, burnt ends, beans and ribs are amazing.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
It sounds like you like Jack Stack better than Oklahoma Joe's. On yelp or tripadvisor it seemed like a lot of folks were reversed on those two. What do y' all think?
You know, if I were hungry for BBQ specifically I would go to Oklahoma Joe's before going to Jack Stack. I'm not big on Jack Stack's sauce - it's reminds me of tomato soup or something, like light and delicate, and that's not how I like my BBQ sauce. The last time I went to Jack Stack I had prime rib, not BBQ.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Both Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's are good, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Jack Stack.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You know, if I were hungry for BBQ specifically I would go to Oklahoma Joe's before going to Jack Stack. I'm not big on Jack Stack's sauce - it's reminds me of tomato soup or something, like light and delicate, and that's not how I like my BBQ sauce. The last time I went to Jack Stack I had prime rib, not BBQ.
KC bbq comes in many forms. If you go to ten different places, you will have ten different experiences and types of bbq. People always ask for the best bbq and there is not really an answer. I just think that if it's your first trip to KC, you should probably try some of the old school originals (gates, bryants etc) and then branch out from there.

We order Jack Stack several times a year via their website. Love that place.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC bbq comes in many forms. If you go to ten different places, you will have ten different experiences and types of bbq. People always ask for the best bbq and there is not really an answer. I just think that if it's your first trip to KC, you should probably try some of the old school originals (gates, bryants etc) and then branch out from there.

We order Jack Stack several times a year via their website. Love that place.
What you've said is true, which is why I've tried to be descriptive with my input.

One issue I have with Jack Stack for BBQ is I don't consider BBQ a sit-down affair, and Jack Stack is a fairly upscale, sit-down restaurant. Oklahoma Joe's is laid-back, relatively quick, and very casual. Ultimately it's up to the OP which to choose from these descriptions. Should they have the desire to sit down, have a few drinks, and spend 2 or 3 hours or whatever, I would recommend Jack Stack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City