Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
A lot of people like Texas apparently.

Why everybody is moving to Texas - Sep. 29, 2014
I can't stand the climate and weather in TX so it will rank lower on my list for that reason alone. TX will also contend with increasing water shortages down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,982 times
^ agreed. Plus anytime I see "cheap housing" as the biggest reason for an area being popular, it makes me wonder what other attributes the area really has going for it.

MUTGR - I think you would like OP. It's not as classy as Kirkwood, but it's not as expensive either and it seems like a good place to raise a family. It's also huge so different parts of it cater to different crowds.

I'm not sure about movie theaters. There are two near my house that seem busy at 115th and Nall and 135th and Nall. I go less than once a year to a movie theater - seems like a young, junior high or parents with elementary school aged kids kind of thing to do. I'm sure there's been studies done but the changing demographic of northern/central OP probably doesn't lend itself as well to the movie theater demographic as south OP.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
^ The ONLY reason I can think of to live south of 435 anywhere is if you have kids AND you thrive off living an isolated suburban lifestyle.

My trip to KC last week took me to that area of KC a few times and I was quickly reminded that I could never, ever live in such a place. South Johnson County is just a very different place, it's suburban living to the extreme. It's nothing like the affluent suburbs around here. It really does seem like most people out there are in their own little world and they act and think they live in heaven or at least the greatest place on earth. And being there on a sunday and seeing just how many people do the mega church thing was interesting after being here for so long and church being pretty much of sight and mind.

And for the love of god, the place is so spread out and has almost no traffic, yet they keep widening everything so you will never have to tap your brakes even during KC's peak 15 minute rush.

After moving away from KC, I have come to accept that I'm just not midwestern at all and I don't really care for metro KC at all outside of the central urban corridor of KCMO (river market to brookside), but south joco might be the best place to live for some, it would be hell on earth for me

It's just not my cup of tea, obviously.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
^ agreed. Plus anytime I see "cheap housing" as the biggest reason for an area being popular, it makes me wonder what other attributes the area really has going for it.

MUTGR - I think you would like OP. It's not as classy as Kirkwood, but it's not as expensive either and it seems like a good place to raise a family. It's also huge so different parts of it cater to different crowds.

I'm not sure about movie theaters. There are two near my house that seem busy at 115th and Nall and 135th and Nall. I go less than once a year to a movie theater - seems like a young, junior high or parents with elementary school aged kids kind of thing to do. I'm sure there's been studies done but the changing demographic of northern/central OP probably doesn't lend itself as well to the movie theater demographic as south OP.
Good point.

On the other hand, extremely expensive housing is not necessarily any indicator of desirability or high life quality either. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that extremely expensive housing is, for me, a bigger red flag warning of low life quality - wholly apart from cost of living - than cheap housing is.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ The ONLY reason I can think of to live south of 435 anywhere is if you have kids AND you thrive off living an isolated suburban lifestyle.

My trip to KC last week took me to that area of KC a few times and I was quickly reminded that I could never, ever live in such a place. South Johnson County is just a very different place, it's suburban living to the extreme. It's nothing like the affluent suburbs around here. It really does seem like most people out there are in their own little world and they act and think they live in heaven or at least the greatest place on earth. And being there on a sunday and seeing just how many people do the mega church thing was interesting after being here for so long and church being pretty much of sight and mind.

And for the love of god, the place is so spread out and has almost no traffic, yet they keep widening everything so you will never have to tap your brakes even during KC's peak 15 minute rush.

After moving away from KC, I have come to accept that I'm just not midwestern at all and I don't really care for metro KC at all outside of the central urban corridor of KCMO (river market to brookside), but south joco might be the best place to live for some, it would be hell on earth for me

It's just not my cup of tea, obviously.
And most sensible KC folks will never begin to understand why you keep trying to twist a good thing into a bad thing. KC people know better....and that is one of the reasons why I miss them.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Good point.

On the other hand, extremely expensive housing is not necessarily any indicator of desirability or high life quality either. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that extremely expensive housing is, for me, a bigger red flag warning of low life quality - wholly apart from cost of living - than cheap housing is.
That's because your idea of Quality of Life is different than others. You like places like Overland Park and would hate to live in a city like SF or Boston no matter what the price are.

Most people in places like Overland Park are going to be like you.

Most people that live in places like central Boston or SF would hate living in Overland Park.

Places attract different types of people and metro KC generally attracts (or keeps) a different crowd than places like SF or Boston.

I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for most of the time. Otherwise everybody would live in a $45,000 ranch in a small rural town.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
If I were moving to KCMO, OP would be my first choice. Primarily, because of the conservative nature of the area. Also, I just happen to like it. While KC Country Club area is nice for shopping, it is not my style.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And most sensible KC folks will never begin to understand why you keep trying to twist a good thing into a bad thing. KC people know better....and that is one of the reasons why I miss them.
Since you bolded my traffic comment... The foot print of the roads in JoCo is humongous. Not only is everything super wide, but the right of way is typically two or three times what is needed so you have huge medians and vast amounts of grass separating roads from buildings.

Like I said, it obviously appeals to a lot of people. It's the ultimate suburban lifestyle of soccer moms, strip malls and the feeling of being "safe" because everything is new and isolated from big city problems etc, everybody is in their own car and rarely interact and they are fully contained within their own demographic (economically, socially and racially). Other than an occasional ball game or something, these people love to stay right in the area they live where things feel perfectly planned and safe to them.

Lots of people like this lifestyle.

Lots of people don't.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
If I were moving to KCMO, OP would be my first choice. Primarily, because of the conservative nature of the area. Also, I just happen to like it. While KC Country Club area is nice for shopping, it is not my style.
Exactly my point. KC is appealing to certain people and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just the opposite. I don't like most of KC. While I really like central KCMO, KCK drives me nuts, the place is so weird. JoCo? No. Lee's Summit? Nah. Northland? Meh.

Overland Park is great if you are looking for that lifestyle.

KC's Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Downtown areas are all very nice IMO (although they could be doing better), but outside of those areas, KC is either, vast ghetto, blightened suburbia (often with a rural twist) or bland new suburbia so far removed from metro KC culturally that those areas don't even feel like you are in KC. Southern JoCo may as well be somewhere between Wichita and Phoenix. It acts like it has no connection to KC. Very bizarre.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-02-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That's because your idea of Quality of Life is different than others. You like places like Overland Park and would hate to live in a city like SF or Boston no matter what the price are.

Most people in places like Overland Park are going to be like you.

Most people that live in places like central Boston or SF would hate living in Overland Park.

Places attract different types of people and metro KC generally attracts (or keeps) a different crowd than places like SF or Boston.

I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for most of the time. Otherwise everybody would live in a $45,000 ranch in a small rural town.
There are more people in Overland Park that would hate living in Boston or SF than there are people in Boston or SF that would hate living in Overland Park.

Many in Boston and SF simply don't know any better. Really....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City