Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,415 times

Advertisements

Is Parallel Parkway a bad area? More specifically, the area west of 635 for about a mile, so until about N 51 street.

My grandma refuses to go there because she's white. She insists that since she's white, black people won't want her in their neighborhood & she'll get shot. (I'm not making this up, she did say she would get shot if she went there.) She's basing this off of when she was "forced" out of the neighborhood around the KU Med Center 40 or so years ago.

Are her assumptions true? If we were to go to that area during the day, would we get shot at? Or would there be any problems based on race? Or any problems at all?

Thanks to anyone who helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 12:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
It's not the best of areas. Sort of run down.

You will not be shot though...Especially just because you are white.

You can drive along Parallel with no problems, especially during the day. The area around KU Med is actually pretty decent by the way. (at least the Missouri side, which is across the street from KUMed).

Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
As said above, its not the best of areas but I stop in the area and get gas all the time. I've never had a problem. People usually keep to themselves or they are polite. I've even stopped and got gas in the night and wasnt worried a bit.

She may not want to go there at night by herself. Not because she will get shot but purse snatching is always a risk for older women in any area.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's not the best of areas. Sort of run down.

You will not be shot though...Especially just because you are white.

You can drive along Parallel with no problems, especially during the day. The area around KU Med is actually pretty decent by the way. (at least the Missouri side, which is across the street from KUMed).
I agree with this post.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:40 PM

35 posts, read 73,285 times
Yeah like everyone else said, not the best of spots around KC. Personally, I wouldn't go down there just for the fun of it.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
I don't think its that bad. You definitely won't get randomly shot. People like to exaggerate how dangerous an area is.

The are around KU Med is one of my favorite parts of the city. Definitely an up and coming area and home to many of my favorite dining options.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Exaggeration until it is you or a loved one; that is a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I don't think its that bad. You definitely won't get randomly shot. People like to exaggerate how dangerous an area is.

The are around KU Med is one of my favorite parts of the city. Definitely an up and coming area and home to many of my favorite dining options.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Exaggeration until it is you or a loved one; that is a victim.
It is still an exaggeration. Do you think the Target at 119th and Metcalf is really dangerous? I bet Kelsey Smith's family does. But that does not mean it actually is.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
It is still an exaggeration. Do you think the Target at 119th and Metcalf is really dangerous? I bet Kelsey Smith's family does. But that does not mean it actually is.
Seriously, it doesn't change whether or not something's an exaggeration.

My car was broken into several times while living on the Plaza, just off Ward Parkway. Does it logically follow that Country Club Plaza/Ward Parkway are therefore the ghetto? No, it means that crime happens any and everywhere.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:

119th & Metcalf is not the area asked about. Comparing apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City