Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 PM

396 posts, read 1,000,127 times

Advertisements

kcmo: You have to admit, you are kind of the drunk uncle of this forum. You just randomly go off sometimes. Sure you bring some great wisdom. But then you get a few in you and start stupid threads like this. And you've got too much common sense to disagree with me on this one.

PS: I kid because I care Merry Christmas Everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Well, kcmo???

I have my suspicions about people having multiple handles, I didn't make any accusations, lest I look foolish for doing so, but hinted at that suspicion. And since then, you've sort of started this idea to counter my suspicion with these suggestive indications (perhaps I'm reading into this) that kcmo and I are one. Were not. kcmo and I bumped heads once, remember? I defended you once, remember? I've bumped heads with some of kcmo's supporters and friends, remember?

I hope I'm just falsely reading into this, lest this is just more of that TYPICAL...
I'm not even sure what you are talking about here...I don't remember you ever hinting at people having multiple handles. I do remember thinking at one time that you actually might be kcmo posting under another handle, but I don't really think so now.

But...what are you talking about?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:03 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post

kcmo: You have to admit, you are kind of the drunk uncle of this forum. You just randomly go off sometimes. Sure you bring some great wisdom. But then you get a few in you and start stupid threads like this. And you've got too much common sense to disagree with me on this one.

Ps: I kid because i care merry christmas everyone

lol!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
I've never seen misleading info posted "about Missouri side schools being unaccredited."

I have seen posts about (and have myself posted about) KANSAS CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS' accreditation status over the past half dozen-ish years.

Not Center's. Not Park Hill's. Not Liberty's or North Kansas City's. Not Raytown's or Hickman Mills' or Independence's or Lee's Summit's or Blue Springs'. Just KCPS. The former KCMO School District. One district of many serving the Missouri side of the metro. The one that shuttered half its schools in 2010 under John Covington. The one that had its accreditation stripped in 2011, and was able to gain back provisional accreditation as a district in fall of 2014. Not "Missouri side schools." Just the ones [i]in that district.[i]

As a onetime Missouri educator, I'm pretty clear on the situation in KCPS district. It's not misleading to state facts.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, but the subject is the KCMO school district being unaccredited. You want people to move to urban KC, but the schools are crap (and unaccredited) in urban KC!
That's not the subject at all. I am just amazed that this is do difficult for people to understand. For about the 12th time in this thread alone once again.....IN BOLD AND CAPS!!!!

NOBODY IS DENYING THAT THE KCMOSD IS A TOTAL DISASTER.

There are people willing to deal with the challenges of a troubled urban school district, but that's not the point this thread or most other threads. Most people moving to urban KCMO are not all that worried about public schools as they are either young or empty nesters. "Urban" KCMO will probably never be a major destination for families with young children as the vast majority of that demographic will continue to choose suburban areas (in both MO and KS which includes much of KCMO itself). People are moving to places like the River Market, Crossroads etc in droves and it the public schools have almost no impact on those people. Those that want to take on the challenge of urban schools (private, charter, public etc) will do so when that time comes. Many will move on to suburban districts, not only for the schools, but because they may be ready to settle down and buy a single family home or whatever. Many will also stay in the city forever.

The point I'm trying to make is this:

THERE ARE GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICTS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE STATE LINE AND MANY OF THEM ACTUALLY COVER MUCH OF KCMO PROPER!!! THERE ARE EVEN SOME OPTIONS IN THE KCMOSD! IF YOU LOOK AT THE NUMBERS, THERE ARE MORE STUDENTS IN HIGHLY RANKED SCHOOLS ON THE MISSOURI SIDE THAN ON THE KANSAS SIDE.

So saying things like the following which you will see often on this forum and many others on the internet by people that tend to be Kansas residents:

"stay on the KS side if you want good schools" FALSE
"say away from KCMO proper, they have terrible schools" FALSE
"the Kansas side has better schools the than the MO side" FALSE
"you have to eventually move to Johnson County if you want good schools" FALSE
"schools on the MO side are un-accredited" FALSE

Most of the fastest growing districts in the metro area are actually districts that cover KCMO proper. Park Hill, NKC, Liberty, Platte, even Lee's Summit covers portions of KCMO. Shoal Creek which is the area of KCMO proper just west of Liberty has added 35,000 new residents (mostly families) over the past 10-15 years. That area of KCMO proper has added two new high schools in the Liberty and NKC districts in the last five years. And that area is only ten minutes from downtown KCMO.

THERE ARE TONS OF GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOL OPTIONS ON THE MISSOURI SIDE. MORE THAN THE KANSAS SIDE AND THEY ARE OFTEN CLOSER TO THE CENTRAL CITY (AT LEAST DOWNTOWN) THAN THE GOOD KANSAS SIDE DISTRICTS. THIS IS TOTALLY OPPOSITE OF THE TOTAL FALSE INFO SPREAD BY MANY KANSAS RESIDENTS, MANY OF WHOM DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE SHOAL CREEK OR TIFFANY SPRINGS ARE EVEN LOCATED.

Children in fast growing middle class/affluent suburban areas in highly ranked school districts: This includes lee's summit, liberty etc, but also much of KCMO proper with almost identical ACT scores to JoCo schools.

MO side outer suburbs 111,752 22
KS side Johnson County 93,890 23

THE KANSAS SIDE HAD GOOD SCHOOLS TOO. (AS WELL AS SCHOOLS IN KCK THAT ARE JUST AS BAD AS THE KCMOSD AND INNER SUBURBAN/OLDER SCHOOLS THAT HAVE SIMILAR STATS TO INNER SUBURBAN/OLDER SCHOOLS ON THE MO SIDE ) THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD THOUGH.

TRY TO COMPREHEND. I will copy and paste this post in ten more times in this thread if needed.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-09-2015 at 05:12 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 AM

78,525 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
If ever, any of you could actually present anything to debunk and defeat him on the arguments that he makes, maybe then, you could get him to stop. But clearly, all of you, have not and do not.
I just linked to his thread about how 17% of the KS budget goes to corporate incentives, which was widely debunked.

What do you think about that thread?

This is an honesty test, let's see how you do.

Last edited by Mathguy; 12-09-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I just linked to his thread about how 17% of the KS budget goes to corporate incentives, which was widely debunked.

What do you think about that thread?

This is an honesty test, let's see how you do.
What link? Whatever thread you are talking about was probably me posting a link to a source such as the KC Star. I didn't just make up the 17% thing. You can argue that the original source may be inaccurate, but I was not posting false info with my own words like "The MO side has terrible schools" the topic of THIS thread which you continue to take the high road on. Keep digging and try to find something that has nothing to do with this to try to justify yourself.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:43 AM

495 posts, read 779,677 times
stay away from KCMO proper, they have terrible schools" FALSE

I could be wrong and sorry for not reading through all the pages, but aren't the KCMO schools only partially accredited? Seems all the kids around me in Waldo either go to St. Elizabeth, Visitation or Academie Lafayette, which I think is a charter school, while the first 2 are private. Either way, KCMO needs to get their accreditation back and then this topic will be moot. KCMO does has a lot of good schools, but most I believe are private or charter. Maybe taking the public schools private is the best solution for the district since they can't seem to get over the perennial hump.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:31 AM

I'm not defending nor promoting the KCMOSD, but the district is "provisionally" accredited now.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM

78,525 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not defending nor promoting the KCMOSD, but the district is "provisionally" accredited now.
Provisional accreditation is basically a participation trophy handed out just push the problem along.

Missouri was able to narrowly win their supreme court case or they'd actually have to improve things for minorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_v._Jenkins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City