Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
another place where KC went, and spent wrong, was annexing all the land north of the river. The city should sell that land off to Gladstone, Liberty, Parkville, Smithville, Platte City, Claycomo and let those suburbs develop the land. KC is spread way to thin for it's population, which never materialized as the city envisioned it would 60 years ago. Let KC have it's 58 miles in Jackson County and let KC deals with it's problems it has there.
I agree with you to an extent but the counter examples would be Zona/Tiffany Springs area and the Shoal Creek area. While quite suburban, these affluent and fast-growing areas undoubtedly bring in a lot of revenue for the city. Keep in mind a lot of that tax revenue gets filtered back into the urban core, whereas if it were a suburb it wouldn't, at least to the same extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:28 PM

639 posts, read 766,968 times
True on what Zona Rosa and other tax generating, and tax paying residents up north bring to Jackson County in revenue, but if KC-Jackson County hadn't ran off tax paying, working residents to the suburbs or up north, KC-Jackson CO, wouldn't be such a poor and hollowed mess that it is. For my first ten years of my life I lived with my working parents with my grandmother in Midtown, because KC was going to start the school busing and I wouldn't be going to the school two blocks from my grandmothers, my parents moved to Raytown. In the early 1970s Raytown was the Liberty of it's time, unfortunately, that's not the case now for Raytown.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
True on what Zona Rosa and other tax generating, and tax paying residents up north bring to Jackson County in revenue, but if KC-Jackson County hadn't ran off tax paying, working residents to the suburbs or up north, KC-Jackson CO, wouldn't be such a poor and hollowed mess that it is. For my first ten years of my life I lived with my working parents with my grandmother in Midtown, because KC was going to start the school busing and I wouldn't be going to the school two blocks from my grandmothers, my parents moved to Raytown. In the early 1970s Raytown was the Liberty of it's time, unfortunately, that's not the case now for Raytown.
Yeah it's a double edged sword. KC/Jackson Co. probably would have run them off anyway, but that's just my personal conjecture. It's hard to say what might have been. The most relevant example would be Saint Louis which despite its small limits still struggles. I'm all for smaller city limits but in the case of this particular metro area it does reap some benefits.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
. Keep in mind a lot of that tax revenue gets filtered back into the urban core
Dubious claim if ever there was one.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Well feel free to enlighten us then on how those areas would be more beneficial to the city if they were separate suburbs. And I didn't say all of the tax revenue, just some.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Whether the northland taxes goes to Jackson County/East side or not, the residents of the east side feel all the taxes collected in KC should be going to the east side. To those residents KC is only the east side. Try explaining to them that KC is in three counties and is more than the east side, it's like talking to a wall.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Well feel free to enlighten us then on how those areas would be more beneficial to the city if they were separate suburbs. And I didn't say all of the tax revenue, just some.
I don't know that they would be. I think it's great than KC can provide so many different lifestyles all within the city limits. But the idea that the Northland is generating tax revenue that gets funneled to the urban core, while a poplar refrain in some Northland circles, doesn't really hold much water. 50% of the city's tax revenue is generated between the river and the plaza, from state line to Troost.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I don't know that they would be. I think it's great than KC can provide so many different lifestyles all within the city limits. But the idea that the Northland is generating tax revenue that gets funneled to the urban core, while a poplar refrain in some Northland circles, doesn't really hold much water. 50% of the city's tax revenue is generated between the river and the plaza, from state line to Troost.
Well some of the revenue undoubtedly does... The e-tax is a good example. JoCo residents have to pay that of they work anywhere in KC, but it's not like those people get that money funneled back to JoCo. I think on could reasonably assume a large amount of that goes into the city, same with the e tax for people working and living in the northern suburban parts of KC proper.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:30 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:
I agree with you to an extent but the counter examples would be Zona/Tiffany Springs area and the Shoal Creek area. While quite suburban, these affluent and fast-growing areas undoubtedly bring in a lot of revenue for the city. Keep in mind a lot of that tax revenue gets filtered back into the urban core, whereas if it were a suburb it wouldn't, at least to the same extent.
This wouldn't be an issue of the city hadn't shot themselves in the foot with the section 8 housing and Bannister Mall. If the city had stood up to MD Management like Aurora and Westminster, Colorado Metro North would be a large tax base too. The KC malls died alongside their sisters in the Denver metro and the one in Toledo, but they didn't tolerate a vacant decaying mess. Westminster was stupid and footed most of a renovation bill on their mall where there wasn't any chance of saving it, and Aurora and Toledo were able to get their blighted properties demolished. Also, like Metro North, Dillard's was the major hurdle in ever getting that mess cleaned up.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:09 PM

71 Hwy/Bruce Watkins Drive. A lot of my East Side co-workers complain about 71 and the "stupid stoplights" that are on there. I agree, it should have been highway all the way to intersecting with I-29. I've explained to them that there "hero/demi-god" Cleaver was the one that imposed that restriction, so that their grandmothers/family, wouldn't be cut off from them on the other side of the freeway. Blank looks, no expressions, no comprehension was all that came of that conversation. Thankfully, MODOT had the sense to know that the stoplight/intersections will eventually have to go and built I-71/Bruce Waktins, "Cleaver, MLK " whatever it's called, can be adjusted for that in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City