Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:56 PM

684 posts, read 791,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So are you saying that Kansas City is a sunbelt city?
I think he meant that southern charm is becoming lost in many places because of northerners moving down into the sunbelt. I'm pretty sure at least. That's how I read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
I think he meant that southern charm is becoming lost in many places because of northerners moving down into the sunbelt. I'm pretty sure at least. That's how I read it.
I don't disagree with that... but what does that have to do with Kansas City? I've never experienced "southern charm" in Kansas City because frankly, I've never considered Kansas City as southern. This is all news to me, but then again I'm a transplant so maybe I'm just ignorant.

It has more southern influences I suppose, especially in dialect and maybe cuisine as well. It's more south-influenced I think than say Indianapolis or certainly Minneapolis... but it's nothing like a place like Charleston which is the first place I think of when I think of "southern charm".

Old 02-24-2016, 09:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcskylinelover View Post
Thanks. That's exactly what I meant.

I never said it was "southern" just like I didn't say it was "sunbelt."
Do you see a pattern?
Instead of stumbling on something I didn't say, address what I did say.
I specifically mentioned a few things that gave KC nuances of southern charm.
Feel free to disagree with them all you want, it's a free country still.
Check out the history of Missouri and KC, that will help you out.
Well, actually, this is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcskylinelover View Post
^ yeah I read this, it was all I needed to know...

What's MISSING from that paragraph and the entire theory?

KCMO citizens didn't want to do it.
Everything about "Kansas City" is uniquely Missourian.
From it's segregated past to it's southern charm and food.

Nearby cities like Atchison and Independence were once larger than KC.
Kansas City became what it became because it was in Missouri.

So for a state like KS to vote to annex something is a moot point altogether.
It would be like Mexico's politicians voting to try to annex San Diego.
The people of San Diego would have to agree to it and of course they wouldn't.
KCMO didn't want to be in KS, it is a Missouri city - end of story.
The state of KS' obsession with KCMO is ridiculous.
"From it's [sic] segregated past to it's [sic] southern charm and food."

That fairly clearly implies you think it's a city with southern charm. I'm struggling with that notion and was looking for more clarification for what southern charm actually is if you think Kansas City is a southern charm city. But contrary to your accusations I'm actually quite well-informed about Kansas City history. Missouri is a gray area but at the end of the day, Kansas City is decidedly more Midwestern than Southern, both in terms of its history and present culture.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:52 PM

30 posts, read 22,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well, actually, this is what you said: "From it's [sic] segregated past to it's [sic] southern charm and food."

That fairly clearly implies you think it's a city with southern charm. I'm struggling with that notion and was looking for more clarification for what southern charm actually is if you think Kansas City is a southern charm city. But contrary to your accusations I'm actually quite well-informed about Kansas City history. Missouri is a gray area but at the end of the day, Kansas City is decidedly more Midwestern than Southern, both in terms of its history and present culture.
When the only place you can get grits reliably is the Waffle House in Bonner Springs, KCMO is definitely not a southern city

Grit jokes aside, I don't think of KCMO as southern in the least. It's a cultural crossroad of the Midwest and the South so it carries influences from both region, yet still maintains its own balancing act between the two that makes it unique. I think much of that has to do with the region's past history of free/slave divide and the location at the confluence of both two distinct geographic regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City