Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm compelled to point out that you haven't said anything that rebuts his position that Missouri is trouncing Kansas in job growth. Why do you suppose that is?

Brownback needs to go, and Kansas needs to elect a governor who actually understands the reality of Kansas' role in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
Yes I have.

1) He linked to an OPINION piece, not a news article.

2) I didn't know there was a contest to see which side had more job growth.

3) It would make sense that there would be more job growth on the Missouri side, since the Kansas side has already seen exponential job growth when Missouri was in a downward slide and the Kansas side created jobs for a whole lot of Missouri residents. There is really nowhere else for Johnson County to grow jobs unless/until they develop further south.

4) And Kansas unemployment is MUCH lower than Missouri's unemployment. Missouri NEEDS jobs.

5) The statistics linked to represent Bates, Caldwell, Cass, Clay, Clinton, Jackson, Lafayette, Platte and Ray Counties for Missouri and Johnson, Leavenworth, Linn, Miami and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas. The population of the Missouri counties is MUCH larger than the population of the Kansas counties represented. So if there were more jobs created on the Missouri side in more counties with higher populations, is that a bad reflection on Kansas? I don't think so. I wouldn't even consider most of those counties part of the KC metro.

6) I have not formed an opinion of Brownback, but I am not so sure his economic plan is as flawed as those who hate Kansas or those who are liberal would have you believe. It takes time to see the effects of any plan that is instituted. Time will tell.

7) Kansas has lower unemployment than Missouri. Kansas has a higher percentage of people employed and a lower percentage of people on welfare than Missouri. I'd say that's a win. Kansas doesn't get as much money from the Federal government for welfare recipients as Missouri does. I'd say that's a win.

I don't know when these statistics are from, but according to this, Johnson County is doing better than Kansas City, Missouri.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The unemployment rate in Kansas City, Missouri, is 6.70%, with job growth of -0.32%. Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be 32.70%.
Kansas City, Missouri Taxes
Kansas City, Missouri,sales tax rate is 8.35%. Income tax is 7.00%.
Kansas City, Missouri Income and SalariesThe income per capita is $26,806, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $45,150.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The unemployment rate in Johnson County, Kansas, is 4.00%, with job growth of 0.73%. Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be 37.50%.
Johnson County, Kansas Taxes
Johnson County, Kansas,sales tax rate is 8.50%. Income tax is 4.80%.
Johnson County, Kansas Income and SalariesThe income per capita is $38,845, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $75,139.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:12 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
So, in an unexplained aberration, Jackson County's job growth exceeds Johnson County's for the 3rd time in the last 10 years and, just like that, we are looking at a MO "growth engine for the metro" and "Missouri is trouncing Kansas in job growth".

https://kceconomy.org/2016/03/11/kc-...rrying-kansas/

Quote:
As always, we have to caution that this analysis is based on fairly short-term trends. Jackson County’s surge could prove to be a temporary blip, while Johnson County could quickly recapture its title as the region’s job creator.
(Numbers below are extracted from the linked Excel worksheet at the end of the article)

Ok, let's look at how this "growth engine" compared to JoCo for Sep '13 to Sep '14....

Johnson +7121
Jackson +360

And for Sep '12 to Sep '13....

Johnson +12,676
Jackson +747

And from Sep '05 to Sep '15....

Johnson +31,351
Jackson -6,391

That's an impressive growth engine, alright.

The long-term historical pattern is plain to see. It's going to take a lot more than one 12-month period to rationally see this as any kind of trend.

These threads are great entertainment, though, despite leaving the axe as dull as ever.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So, in an unexplained aberration, Jackson County's job growth exceeds Johnson County's for the 3rd time in the last 10 years and, just like that, we are looking at a MO "growth engine for the metro" and "Missouri is trouncing Kansas in job growth".

https://kceconomy.org/2016/03/11/kc-...rrying-kansas/

(Numbers below are extracted from the linked Excel worksheet at the end of the article)

Ok, let's look at how this "growth engine" compared to JoCo for Sep '13 to Sep '14....

Johnson +7121
Jackson +360

And for Sep '12 to Sep '13....

Johnson +12,676
Jackson +747

And from Sep '05 to Sep '15....

Johnson +31,351
Jackson -6,391

That's an impressive growth engine, alright.

The long-term historical pattern is plain to see. It's going to take a lot more than one 12-month period to rationally see this as any kind of trend.

These threads are great entertainment, though, despite leaving the axe as dull as ever.

I owe you a rep!

Old 04-09-2016, 01:57 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The long-term historical pattern is plain to see. It's going to take a lot more than one 12-month period to rationally see this as any kind of trend.[/color]
"Long-term historical pattern"?? I don't think you want to drag that into the mix, if you're trying to make a case that KCMO is not the economic engine of the Kansas City metro.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
"Long-term historical pattern"?? I don't think you want to drag that into the mix, if you're trying to make a case that KCMO is not the economic engine of the Kansas City metro.
I don't think 100 years ago matters anymore.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think 100 years ago matters anymore.
What about right now? Because KCMO is still the economic engine of the metro.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 AM

404 posts, read 457,225 times
Even when Jo County was adding more jobs I'm pretty sure that KC,MO was always the side that brought in more new jobs from outside the metro. How is luring companies from Missouri doing much for the metro?

Old 04-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
What about right now? Because KCMO is still the economic engine of the metro.
Really?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Even when Jo County was adding more jobs I'm pretty sure that KC,MO was always the side that brought in more new jobs from outside the metro. How is luring companies from Missouri doing much for the metro?
That wasn't happening when downtown KC was a wasteland that everyone avoided.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:04 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That wasn't happening when downtown KC was a wasteland that everyone avoided.
Cities can change dramatically in short periods of tine. NYC was nearly bankrupt in the 1970s with high crime rates and today is nearly a complete reversal. KC just needs continued redevelopment, new investment capital, and more gentrification- which certainly will not be as dramatic as many other metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City