Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM

80 posts, read 111,253 times

Advertisements

Just when we thought the border war would be over and in spite of the KS-boosting posters like Luzianne and Mathguy, etc... Sam Brownback and KS Commerce go right back at it trying anything this time including the KCMO Downtown CID (An org collecting taxes in MO) to lure them to KS asking them if there is anything they could help with. Gosh I hate KS and I hate his cronies even more. Here is the article:
[url=http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article97243862.html]Letter shows Kansas' efforts to entice Missouri businesses to cross state line, meaning push to end economic 'border war' has failed | The Kansas City Star[/url]

And also, look at this part of the article lol:
Bill Dietrich revealed the existence of the letter on Monday at a special meeting of the Economic Development Council of Kansas City. To Dietrich, president and CEO of the Downtown Council of Kansas City, the letter underscored the intense competition across political boundaries in the Kansas City metro area for jobs and businesses.

“The competition is real,” Dietrich told the EDC board.

The Kansas Commerce Department, when asked about the letter, said it actively recruits businesses to the state.

“To answer your inquiry, every day the Department of Commerce actively recruits business for the state by promoting our superb business climate, skilled and educated workforce and our quality of life,” said Nicole Randall, spokeswoman for the agency.

Read more here: [url=http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article97243862.html#storylink=cpy]Letter shows Kansas' efforts to entice Missouri businesses to cross state line, meaning push to end economic 'border war' has failed | The Kansas City Star[/url]

It seems Denver is next on my list for place to move to, seems kind of a small move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
It seems Denver is next on my list for place to move to, seems kind of a small move
Kansas is the number one reason I don't miss KC. Dead serious. The state has ruined the city.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The state has ruined the city.
True

Old 08-23-2016, 09:58 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kansas is the number one reason I don't miss KC. Dead serious. The state has ruined the city.
As I and others have told you hundreds of times, no one forces these companies to move. If they weren't greedy and looking for corporate welfare in the first place then there wouldn't be an issue. You won't hear me defend the situations involving AMC or Applebee's (who was the metro poster child of wanting handouts), but I will defend the DFA considering how much time and money they're investing in SWKS right now, and the fact that there still very committed to that project even after China dropped out of the prospects. That was a move that benefitted the state outside of moving jobs over a state like. KDOT even "magically" found the money to provide their new plant with upgraded roads and an intermodal facility. Wichita, Topeka, and Kansas City, Kansas haven't had a good economy for many many decades, so it really surprises me that people are surprised that they continue to perform poorly. When the state does throw money at Wichita it never sticks because the companies either close, or they only moved to Wichita to show another areas they were serious about demanding increased corporate welfare (Coleman) and move back when their demands are met. Topeka still has Payless, at least I think they do... They're never in the news and no one talks about it. If I were Payless I wouod have jumped ship to Wichita or KCMO, but there must be something keeping them there because I can bet you they've been targeted by other metros.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 AM

404 posts, read 457,225 times
^ it's not just the poaching. I don't even know much about that. I know it's stupid.

The Kansas side is just a terrible neighbor to KC,MO. The city would be better off without KS.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
As I and others have told you hundreds of times, no one forces these companies to move. If they weren't greedy and looking for corporate welfare in the first place then there wouldn't be an issue. You won't hear me defend the situations involving AMC or Applebee's (who was the metro poster child of wanting handouts), but I will defend the DFA considering how much time and money they're investing in SWKS right now, and the fact that there still very committed to that project even after China dropped out of the prospects. That was a move that benefitted the state outside of moving jobs over a state like. KDOT even "magically" found the money to provide their new plant with upgraded roads and an intermodal facility. Wichita, Topeka, and Kansas City, Kansas haven't had a good economy for many many decades, so it really surprises me that people are surprised that they continue to perform poorly. When the state does throw money at Wichita it never sticks because the companies either close, or they only moved to Wichita to show another areas they were serious about demanding increased corporate welfare (Coleman) and move back when their demands are met. Topeka still has Payless, at least I think they do... They're never in the news and no one talks about it. If I were Payless I wouod have jumped ship to Wichita or KCMO, but there must be something keeping them there because I can bet you they've been targeted by other metros.
While there is plenty of sense in your post, are you saying that the mass emails to these companies within the metro, including DT CID (which I am still trying to get my head around how you can try to poach a community improvement org that belong to a city) is not wrong in the first place?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I forgot to add if these emails are not wrong or at least should raise eyebrows, we should brace for it because I see a Brownback-poaching of MoDOTKC or something like RideKC, oh well anything can happen in Brownback's and his followers' book.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
^ it's not just the poaching. I don't even know much about that. I know it's stupid.

The Kansas side is just a terrible neighbor to KC,MO. The city would be better off without KS.
Exactly.

Not only does Kansas aggressively poach, they freeload on top of the poaching. So when you pay 30 million to poach Fishnet or Midland from across stateline which really hurts the tax base that funds everything from the stadiums to bartle hall to the zoo and then don't contribute to those venues, but use them and claim them they were your own.

Johnson County is the second largest county in the metro and uses KCMO venues nearly equal to Jackson County. But they get a free ride.

Johnson County wants to be part of the metro when the Royals are winning or when they want to go to the Zoo or WW1 Museum or City Market or when they want to ride the streetcar, but when it comes to helping fund anything, they are no longer part of the metro, they are then Kansans, not Kansas Citians.

The state line will continue to keep metro KC from developing a high quality light rail system. In order for a regional light rail system to work, it has to go to both Jackson and Johnson Counties.

The state line will continue to harm downtown KC and keep it from becoming a business center again while most other major cities are seeing major businesses invest in downtowns right now. There is only so much residential and hotel construction that can occur downtown without companies there. Everybody in KC thinks downtown is booming. It's really doing less than most major cities as far as residential and hotel rooms and it's actually losing office space. It's doing okay, but it should and could be doing a lot more. And downtown KCK? haha. Most of this is due to subsidized suburban sprawl (mostly in Kansas).

Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
You all can joke, but I honestly think the KCMO Downtown Council CID would benefit from some of those Kansas-style tax incentives. Maybe they could help them build a gleaming new office building in Edgerton or something, and provide a much-needed cash infusion to KCMO's South Loop area. C'mon people... this could be really good for downtown KCMO!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:29 PM

290 posts, read 346,740 times
I'm not sure we should be so worried if Kansas is trying to lure an community improvement district that serves the interests of downtown since it really just shows how incompetent the people are running this operation. I have nothing against Kansas, but this bush league crap Topeka keeps on pulling is pretty bad. I hope to God we don't get similar 'conservative' politicians running Missouri in the future. I can only tolerate so much stupidity. But hey Topeka, keep on looking like a bunch of morons and stay classy!

P.S. I'm critiquing the morons in Topeka and not the fine residents of Kansas (at least the ones that didn't vote for Brownback and his lackeys)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City