Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 03:22 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
My father, who at 91 predates the museum, still calls it "The Nelson Art Gallery." No insult meant toward Mrs. Atkins, but it's an old-school KC way to refer to it. He took some drawing classes there in the 1930s, and I assume that the Atkins name (which also graces the Auditorium downstairs) wasn't as heavily promoted back then. That, plus everyone knew who William Rockhill Nelson was.

I grew up in the 1970s, and I call the museum "The Nelson-Atkins."
It was "The Nelson Art Gallery" to me too when I grew up in the KC of the '60s.

However: it's been obscured by the new Bloch Wing attached to it, but the east entrance to the building (where you will also find the cornerstone set in 1931 and the stone bearing the names of the architects, Wight & Wight; both are visible in the passageway between the two wings that utilizes the old east entrance doorways) had on its cornice "Mary Atkins Museum of Fine Arts" just as "William Rockhill Nelson Gallery of Art" is inscribed over the north and south entrances (there is no west entrance IIRC).

Both names have been the museum's official name from its opening. But yes, most every Kansas Citian knew who Nelson was, while hardly any Kansas Citian knew who Atkins was. Her hubby made a fortune in real estate and left it to his schoolteacher wife upon his death. She then decided to leave it to the citizens of Kansas City for posterity in the form of an art museum endowment (I think her bequest predates Nelson's by four years or so, since she died before he did; I think the birth and death dates for both appear in Roman numerals on either side of the south entrance, Nelson's on the left and Atkins' on the right).

I think it's only right and just that Atkins get equal billing with Nelson. Because of this, I wouldn't adopt that Buffalonian practice of re-shortening the name, let alone adding the possessive 's to it.

FTR: My career in journalism began at the paper Nelson founded. I was the first and only summer reporting intern The Kansas City Star ever hired out of high school (Pem-Day '76). I consider it karmic in retrospect that I also attended the public grade school named for Nelson, whose building UMKC now owns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Kansas City is extremely underrated. I find that people often assume it's boring because Kansas stereotypes get applied to it by people who don't know the city or its history. It stacks up well against most cities its size in terms of amenities and due to it's history, it has its own unique character and vibe. Compared to OKC where I live now, I definitely feel like I've arrived in a huge, bustling city when I visit Kansas City.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 PM

264 posts, read 250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Kansas City is extremely underrated. I find that people often assume it's boring because Kansas stereotypes get applied to it by people who don't know the city or its history. It stacks up well against most cities its size in terms of amenities and due to it's history, it has its own unique character and vibe. Compared to OKC where I live now, I definitely feel like I've arrived in a huge, bustling city when I visit Kansas City.
Indeed it's underrated. However, I wouldn't classify it as bustling since it has a more laid back vibe and not much pedestrian activity as well as even vehicular activity speaking to the mild traffic. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that. In fairness, any city would feel more bustling than OKC honestly (no offense).

Old 07-28-2019, 03:35 PM

165 posts, read 143,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Kansas City is not less boring neither more exciting than other cities in its Tier. Of course it's more boring than NYC, Boston, Philly but they are more than 1 tier above KC.
You tend to equate city size with excitement. The cities you list are all large and dense east coast cities. And yea, I enjoy those cities, they do have a lot to offer in terms of institutions, history, restaurants and culture. I've lived most of my life outside of KC in large US cities. Most of them (for example, Houston, where I lived for 10 years), despite being larger than KC, do not offer anything KC doesn't have. If you want to say Seattle, San Francisco, or LA are more exciting, I won't disagree (although each come with their own issues) but so many larger cities really don't have anything to offer you can't get in KC.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:17 PM

142 posts, read 116,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
You tend to equate city size with excitement. The cities you list are all large and dense east coast cities. And yea, I enjoy those cities, they do have a lot to offer in terms of institutions, history, restaurants and culture. I've lived most of my life outside of KC in large US cities. Most of them (for example, Houston, where I lived for 10 years), despite being larger than KC, do not offer anything KC doesn't have. If you want to say Seattle, San Francisco, or LA are more exciting, I won't disagree (although each come with their own issues) but so many larger cities really don't have anything to offer you can't get in KC.
KC really does punch well of above its weight these days.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 PM

264 posts, read 250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
Yeah I should have specified the density more so than size. I actually think KC does punch a bit above its weight in terms of "excitement". Though I still think powerhouses such as Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta which like KC are largely suburban by nature, still are more "exciting" than KC due to the sheer volume of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: