Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

I see angry posts on both sides. Especially since the inauguration, though, I have seen overwhelmingly liberal posts criticizing Trump on social media. In fact, my Facebook feed is filled with it from both sides, but much more liberal than conservative since the inauguration. I have started skipping over anything political.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
After the election...in truth probably closer to Christmas...I abandoned my Facebook account. After New Years' Day I deleted my account (which FB intentionally makes a PITA, btw). At some point I realized that it could be such a toxic environment and I would rather spend my time doing more productive things.

Also, that crap isn't representative of KC; this metro has a lot of good people, and most people don't have time to post all that crap. It's usually the rantings of a few.
Yay! Someone that gets it without using it to demonize someone!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I see angry posts on both sides. Especially since the inauguration, though, I have seen overwhelmingly liberal posts criticizing Trump on social media. In fact, my Facebook feed is filled with it from both sides, but much more liberal than conservative since the inauguration. I have started skipping over anything political.
No, no no....it's just the *other party* whomever that may be.

But anyway, I fully expect such angry rhetoric in the metro given the historic school quality and graduation rates.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
On Facebook, I am a subscriber to all the local KC TV stations. So far nearly EVERY person who comments on a report or article involving the executive order (whether it be about the protests, etc.) is an angry, short-tempered Trump supporter that goes on and on about "liberal propaganda", "evil Obama", etc. Those are the comments that are getting the most likes, apparently. And they keep cropping up over and over.

On top of that, there is so much hatred directed at our mayor Sly James for showing his support for protesters exercising their freedom of speech at KCI.

I had no idea KC residents love Donald Trump THIS much. I thought this metro area was more politically moderate.
It's a strange new twist on rural American values I suppose. And I do believe the current schism is largely a city vs rural phenomena. Kansas City just so happens to have a high percentage of people in and around its core who still abide by an ideological code that is somewhat farmer-like-- think American Gothic - that group of people tends to be exclusively white, often resentful of protests and marches with high percentage of minorities because they perceive it as a direct affront to their own existence. That majority white group is also seeing a deteriorating quality of life over the past 30 years. Obama is their boogeyman. Trump is their savior (or so they think).

I expect the divisiveness and bitterness to get worse. Media avoidance is probably the best course of action.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Seems like an easy fix to me..
stop following on facebook..

i get the gripe.. there is simply too much political GARBAGE being slung these days.. but when you step back and focus on other things... that political garbage tends to fall to way side... I don't watch any of the main stream media outlets.. they are a joke IMO.. they are NOT unbiased, NONE! I don't follow any on social media either.. that would likely be even worse!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
On Facebook, I am a subscriber to all the local KC TV stations. So far nearly EVERY person who comments on a report or article involving the executive order (whether it be about the protests, etc.) is an angry, short-tempered Trump supporter that goes on and on about "liberal propaganda", "evil Obama", etc. Those are the comments that are getting the most likes, apparently. And they keep cropping up over and over.

On top of that, there is so much hatred directed at our mayor Sly James for showing his support for protesters exercising their freedom of speech at KCI.

I had no idea KC residents love Donald Trump THIS much. I thought this metro area was more politically moderate.
They're chasing ratings....just like every news source out there. I hear ya, I just can't stand to listen to either side rant garbage about everything.

I mean seriously, the amount of utter crap both sides serve up...sigh, I have a hard time respecting either parties loyalists.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
It's a strange new twist on rural American values I suppose. And I do believe the current schism is largely a city vs rural phenomena. Kansas City just so happens to have a high percentage of people in and around its core who still abide by an ideological code that is somewhat farmer-like-- think American Gothic - that group of people tends to be exclusively white, often resentful of protests and marches with high percentage of minorities because they perceive it as a direct affront to their own existence. That majority white group is also seeing a deteriorating quality of life over the past 30 years. Obama is their boogeyman. Trump is their savior (or so they think).

I expect the divisiveness and bitterness to get worse. Media avoidance is probably the best course of action.
Um, not that I disagree with your general advice but I have a lot of life-long democratic voting white dudes that voted Trump in my family because their jobs got moved overseas. (I didn't)

Writing them off as some sort of bigoted folk that can't handle ethnicity while repeatedly mentioning their skin color is frankly offensively racist on your part. You need to take a serious step back and learn to look at voter motivations beyond pigmentation like you've been taught.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:41 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Writing them off as some sort of bigoted folk that can't handle ethnicity while repeatedly mentioning their skin color is frankly offensively racist on your part. You need to take a serious step back and learn to look at voter motivations beyond pigmentation like you've been taught.
While I will continue to analyze voter motivations, I will not take a step back on mentioning skin color as a factor. It's a fact. Deal with it.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

There is a sizeable and politically active population that isn't conservative. They demonstrably don't spend as much time trolling the media, however.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I was not talking about the protesters if that's what you are referring to. I will agree that a large portion of these protesters are idiots, but the general reasons they are protesting have merit even if many of the protesters don't even know why they are even protesting.

I'm talking online comments going back to before the trump campaign rhetoric (which caused much of the backlash you are seeing now).

Racial slurs, hating anybody that's not white and christian and born in America to an American citizen was and still is off the charts in any social media environment (fb, youtube, media websites etc).
Observation bias. I witness it in my rightwing AND leftwing friends.

Besides, I would LOVE to hear more of your potifications about the "other sides" after lighting up Christians a few posts back.

I mean seriously, You have some real hubris to use the phrase "Racial slurs, hating anybody that's not white or christian..."

Dear god, you sound just like they do when complaining about BLM etc.

But don't worry. YOUR social group of troglodytes making racial and religious stereotypes against others is sooooooo much better than those you decry.

Frankly, anyone making hateful statements against any race or religion have no business in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City