Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:25 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Can't go wrong with Lee's Summit IMO. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Liberty is a nice suburb. I think it's pretty conservative, but it's a live and let live type place. Just so you know, the actual city limits of Liberty is east of I-35, while that entire area of the Northland is often referred to as Liberty. Almost all the new growth in the area has occurred west of I-35 in the city of KC,MO. It's technically Shoal Creek, but many refer to it as Liberty, especially all the commercial development along 152 etc.

There is not going to be much difference between Liberty and the KC side of I-35 although the KC side is much newer. For some reason Liberty is slow growth suburb even though it's not landlocked and a nice area. Liberty should have 75,000 by now, but it has been it's still below 30,000 I think. The KC side (Shoal Creek) has gone from 5000 to like 30,000 in under ten years.

The Liberty School District serves both the city of Liberty and most of Shoal Creek. I know Liberty has a new high school, Liberty North, but I'm not sure where the boundaries are. It's not too far from the new Staley High School in the fast growing Staley part of the Northland.

I have heard some of the apartments in Liberty are section 8 and can be problematic, but that's typical of lower end apartments anywhere. Again, you really can't go wrong in any of the areas you are looking at in the Clay County suburbs. Liberty, Shoal Creek, Staley etc are all very nice, safe suburban areas with great schools. Taxes will be about the same if you are in Liberty, KCMO, Gladstone, etc. You will pay the KCMO etax no matter what since you will be working in the city, so if you live in the city you would get free trash pick up which is only about $200 a year in suburban cities, but I thought I would mention it. Also you would get to vote on major KCMO issues if you lived in the city limits. I still say look at the all areas of the northland and just zero in on a couple of areas you like. You will have safe neighborhoods and good schools no matter where you are especially in the northern parts of the Northland (152 corridor across both Clay and Platte Counties).
I live on the KC side of Liberty, off shoal creek parkway. It's a great area. I prefer the KC side as you can avoid some of the back traffic where 152 and I35 intersect. Schools are great, area is safe, and it's growing... always new places opening up it seems like.

All that said, pretty much in the northland areas that have liberty, park hill and staley for schools... are all great areas.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
My brother and his family live in the Shoal Creek area but his kids are in Liberty School district. The KC limits portion can be expensive with the earnings tax, water/sewer but it's an excellent location for families. It is a conservative progressive community of good people, shopping, churches and schools.

I guess I don't get the conservative part... it doesn't seem anymore conservative to me than any other suburb?

Old 12-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Liberty and that portion of KCMO's north side are nice, with good schools and convenience to the city. The commute from Liberty to the Research Med area is usually around 20 easy min under ideal conditions. In those 20 min, however, you're still covering a lot of distance, which can be greatly impacted by adverse weather or a bad accident on I-35 or 435.

Have you looked at closer, similar suburban options, like Raytown, Lee's Summit, Belton/Raymore, parts of south KCMO, or even parts of Johnson County, KS? Schools in those areas are easily comparable to Liberty and NKC districts, housing/rents are similarly priced, and you would be MUCH closer to work in any of those areas. There's absolutely nothing in the Liberty/KCMO-Shoal Creek area that can't be found much closer to work in any of the areas I mentioned, while cutting your commute in half.

According to google maps... Lees summit is 19 minutes from Research, Liberty is 31. Raymore is 25. Overland Park is 22.

Liberty is the furthest away, but of of those, accounting for Traffic, I would still say is one of the easier ones. Traffic from Lees Summit and Overland Park is always horrible and backed up. It's not even a maybe.. it's ALWAYS bad.

Raymore/Belton don't offer what Liberty does IMO. Schools aren't comparable, except Johnson County/Lees Summit which are great. I don't find either of those locations convenient to get to other places like downtown/plaza... but maybe others disagree. My beef is mostly traffic. Northland can be further away but doesn't normally have the traffic problems.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post

Northland can be further away but doesn't normally have the traffic problems.
Travel from, say 152 and North Oak to Lowes in Liberty on 152 and tell me there’s not a traffic problem.
Trust me, there’s a traffic problem. Barry/152/I-29 is actually less congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City