Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsongHollowFarm View Post
So sorry for not getting back to this for so long, just got back from the in-laws. His work is in Shawnee, specifically. I'm sorry I didn't realize the area was so amorphous. Right now we live at the very beginnings of the mountains. Leaving both trees and hills would be hard. Commuting is already somewhat of a given since we have farm animals. We will definitely look closer at Weston.
There are some rolling hills and bluff areas in the river valley areas discussed, but it will be pretty different from what you're accustomed to.

Just for reference, there are a number of homes keeping livestock in the Shawnee and DeSoto areas, so you may not need to be as far out as you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 06:43 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsongHollowFarm View Post
So sorry for not getting back to this for so long, just got back from the in-laws. His work is in Shawnee, specifically. I'm sorry I didn't realize the area was so amorphous. Right now we live at the very beginnings of the mountains. Leaving both trees and hills would be hard. Commuting is already somewhat of a given since we have farm animals. We will definitely look closer at Weston.
I grew up in western Shawnee on hundreds of acres. It has grown and been developed since then, but there is still acreage available if you go west a little - either due west, southwest or northwest. How many acres do you think you'll need? You might want to look at western Shawnee, Desoto, Linwood, Lenexa, Bonner Springs, Piper, west Olathe. Maybe Tonganoxie. Just depends how many acres you are looking for, too. The further out you go, of course, the more acreage you are going to be able to find.

Go to reecenichols.com, put in your search parameters (you can put in acreage under the "even more options" tab) and see what comes up. Reece & Nichols is a great resource!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times
If you are not from this area, the most confusing way you can be told where something is located in the KC metro area, is to be told something is in this nebulous area known as "Shawnee Mission". Its not a city or a county or a township, it is a postal district! As far as I know, no other area in the country uses a postal district to describe where something not related to mail is located. Just to make things even MORE confusing, there are cities named Shawnee and Mission, which are different entities than each other and for the case of Shawnee, is not even entirely located within the postal district of "Shawnee Mission". Confused yet? I sure was when I first moved here. Thankfully the "Shawnee Mission" moniker as a place reference is somewhat dated and not used by very many people anymore unless they are talking about the school district.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
If you are not from this area, the most confusing way you can be told where something is located in the KC metro area, is to be told something is in this nebulous area known as "Shawnee Mission". Its not a city or a county or a township, it is a postal district! As far as I know, no other area in the country uses a postal district to describe where something not related to mail is located. Just to make things even MORE confusing, there are cities named Shawnee and Mission, which are different entities than each other and for the case of Shawnee, is not even entirely located within the postal district of "Shawnee Mission". Confused yet? I sure was when I first moved here. Thankfully the "Shawnee Mission" moniker as a place reference is somewhat dated and not used by very many people anymore unless they are talking about the school district.
I grew up in Shawnee Mission - specifically western Shawnee. It was never confusing for me. Shawnee Mission consists of most of old suburban Johnson County, before Blue Valley existed. The OP referring to it as
Shawnee Mission is not the issue that some here (who don't even live in Shawnee Mission or if they do, are fairly recent transplants) are trying to make it.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-02-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 PM

396 posts, read 999,113 times
If his work is in Shawnee I'd seriously look at the De Soto area. There's a lot of homes on varying degrees of acreage in the area. When I say De Soto I mean more so the De Soto School District. Areas west of k-7 that are in the city of Shawnee and Lenexa and De Soto offer many different options you may be looking for. South of De Soto has opportunities for larger parcels of land with a lot of "farms" being horse stables. You'll find a diverse array of housing here as well. Although many homes in this area are very large and high end there are still more "regular" homes to be found. The terrain is rolling and in places heavily wooded along the Kansas River bluffs and creek valleys. I personally think it's a beautiful area. Upsides are close access t anything in KC due to easy highway access while still being "out" in the "country". Another plus is being 15 minutes to Mass Street in Lawrence. Finally I see you home school but the De Soto schools are some of the best in the metro so you'd be investing in a quality area long term. Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for where ever that may be and welcome to KC!

Old 01-03-2018, 06:35 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I grew up in Shawnee Mission - specifically western Shawnee. It was never confusing for me. Shawnee Mission consists of most of old suburban Johnson County, before Blue Valley existed. The OP referring to it as
Shawnee Mission is not the issue that some here (who don't even live in Shawnee Mission or if they do, are fairly recent transplants) are trying to make it.
Of course it wasn't confusing to you. You grew up there. The point is that it's a confusing term for newcomers.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Of course it wasn't confusing to you. You grew up there. The point is that it's a confusing term for newcomers.
The newcomer didn't seem confused. They specified Shawnee Mission. It was the rest of you who told the newcomer referring to "Shawnee Mission" is a problem. It's not.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
The newcomer didn't seem confused. They specified Shawnee Mission. It was the rest of you who told the newcomer referring to "Shawnee Mission" is a problem. It's not.
Referring to an area as Shawnee Mission means a person is confused. No one in the metro actually does that. Unless they're talking about the school district.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Referring to an area as Shawnee Mission means a person is confused. No one in the metro actually does that. Unless they're talking about the school district.

It doesn't make a difference at all. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. The area DID used to be called Shawnee Mission. I grew up here. Our phone books said "Shawnee Mission."

Shawnee Mission Medical Center isn't named after the school district, now is it?

Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
It doesn't make a difference at all. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. The area DID used to be called Shawnee Mission. I grew up here. Our phone books said "Shawnee Mission."

Shawnee Mission Medical Center isn't named after the school district, now is it?
I guess now it's just a battle for the last word. So you can let me have it, or you can take it. Your call.

But you keep making statements that obviously support my argument. People who grew up there decades ago will have no trouble with the term. Similarly, institutions that are rooted in the history of the area, like SMMC, will carry the term forward. But I guarantee you don't tell people you're from "Shawnee Mission", when you're out and about. You'll say "Prairie Village" or "Johnson County". Perhaps even "Northeast Johnson County" or "The Kansas Side", or just "Kansas", but not "Shawnee Mission".

I feel like you think I'm denigrating the term, or worse, the area itself. I'm not. I'm just trying to help people understand how to talk about the geography of the metro. Because I think we can all agree that the KC metro has some of the most confusing geographic nomenclature in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City