Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 41,214 times

Advertisements

Moving into my own apartment in liberty from my large family home and have no idea how much I should budget for utility bills. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
My highest this summer was $142. That was in July in a 2-BR apartment in JoCo. I have storm windows which does make a difference. I also cover the windows that get the most sun with thermal-lined curtains.

In winter, it is heating bill of around $40 - $50. All electric for both. No gas bill here. I believe gas is cheaper but don't take my word for it.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM

86 posts, read 359,813 times
Water bills are outrageously high compared to Kansas City and other outlying areas. Water includes sewer, trash pickup, recycling, and a buncha taxes, etc. I just moved to Liberty two months ago, and my water bills are double what they were in KC.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:09 AM

258 posts, read 648,022 times
Default water bill

Rocket Dog - how much are your "water" bills?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:04 PM

86 posts, read 359,813 times
Gibby,

I have lived in Liberty nearly three months. I have a small 3 BR, 2 BA. I am an older widow with a small dog, and I live alone (well, except for the dog.)

My water bill for the first month (including sewer, trash, recycling, and all those taxes and surcharges) was $74. For the second month it was $81. I've talked with the water department and even they agree it is rather high for just one person. I run the dishwasher only about once every ten days or so (don't like to cook, so not much mess.) I don't have tons of laundry like a large family might have, and I have a new high efficiency washer. When I moved here it was too late in the season to plant a garden, so no outdoor watering.

So . . . unless the dog is inviting his friends over for swimming parties in the bathtub while I'm gone, there is no reason my water bills would be so high except for the fact that the City of Liberty has to pay the City of Kansas City for the use of some of their sewer lines (so I'm told.)

When I lived in Kansas City, my water bills averaged around $30 a month, and that was before my husband died and there were two of us.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
You can call the utility companies and get an average from them. That's what I always have done.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 73,711 times
Hello rocket dog. You mentioned the water company said it seemed to high for you. I know liberty is under heavy construction lots of water/sewage repairs off ridge and mississippi st. How old are your lines leading into your apartment or house? I would begin there. A small area of corrosion/pin hole leak could lead to major leakage and be very costly. If it is an apartment does each tenant in the same building share water expenses and those other pesky charges? or is each tenant responsible for their own usage?

Have a great day, its totally up to you.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 71,254 times
I've been in Liberty for a little over 2 years. My water bill is double what it was in KC. The amount is the same, but where as KC billed every 2 month, it is the same amount in Liberty, but monthly. I run average of $120 a month in Liberty. And the water is hard, leaves mineral deposits on fixtures something terrible, and my hair feels like straw. Every so often, I have to use a pumice stone to get the mineral ring out of the toliets.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 73,711 times
Is that why they are having major water works construction all over in liberty?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 71,254 times
I'm just a bit north of Mississippi, and they did some of the work on my street also. It is a storm water project. If you've seen the water coming down this hill in a downpour, you'd understand. We've had to trench our yard to divert it from the house. At times it looks like white water going thru here, grab a raft. How if they are doing something in addition to storm water on Mississippi, I don't know, but my street was simply storm water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: