Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM

476 posts, read 1,316,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
How do you know who is Jewish anyway to randomly discriminate? I've seen some people with names or facial features that made me think they might be Jewish, but lots of other people I have met and had no idea until they told me. Hitler had his lists but I doubt anyone poses as a census taker just to find out who is Jewish lol

Just curious but why do some people not like Jewish people to begin with? I don't understand how someone can live in the US and call himself a Nazi? Didn't our parents and grandparents die fighting Nazis? Why on earth would any US citizen call himself a Nazi is beyond me? I think they should be tried as enemy combatants (even if the war has ended) just for calling themselves Nazis.

You got me on this one, I can't even figure out who is Jewish, much less determine why I shouldn't like them other than they'll punish me if I accidently drop a Tora.
A very, very, very, very small minority of people hate Jews because they blame them for the killing of Jesus. Which is stupid because Jesus died supposedly for Christians sins, so if he never dies, Christians never get salvation.

And I think it just has more to do with how we tend to scapegoat ethnic minorities for our problems. Jews were widely blamed in Europe for many centuries for their economic, health, and political problems. It was better here, but for many decades it was just commonly accepted among whites that white Anglo-Saxon Protestants were just inherently better than everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
[quote=TinaMcG;11707844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasadora View Post

...I believe Johnson County, KS went for Obama in 2008,...
I wouldn't have been surprised if it had, but Johnson County actually went for McCain by a pretty good margin, ~57% to 41%.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 11-20-2009, 06:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
A very, very, very, very small minority of people hate Jews because they blame them for the killing of Jesus. Which is stupid because Jesus died supposedly for Christians sins, so if he never dies, Christians never get salvation..
And I wonder where that thought comes from, because I grew up Christian and the first I heard of that is when I was in my 30s and a Jewish friend said something about Christians hating Jews because they killed Jesus and I said "Huh??????????" I was never taught and never thought that Jews killed Jesus. Jews are God's chosen people; why would Christians hate them? All I was ever taught about Jews is that they don't believe Jesus is the Messiah and they are still waiting for the Messiah.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
[quote=TinaMcG;11707844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasadora View Post

Okay, I'm a bleeding heart Chicago liberal who grew up Christian in a Jewish suburb -- and I haven't found intolerance to my views at all. I don't attend church anymore. I am openly Democratic -- and guess what? So are many others around here! (I believe Johnson County, KS went for Obama in 2008, and we have a Democratic congressman, Dennis Moore.) I've seen no sign of alternative lifestyles being frowned upon and no one has tried to shove religion at me. We get the Witnesses at our door every now and then, but we had them in Chicago too. There are fewer Jews in KC than in NY or Chicago, but I haven't noticed any discrimination. I just think people are very friendly here.
McCain won Johnson County in 2008, not Obama. Johnson County has always gone Republican as far as I know. But I have lived in Johnson County most of my life and I don't see any intolerance, other than for crime.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 PM

270 posts, read 656,295 times
I still can't figure out how you tell the difference between a Jewish person and a white person without doing DNA work or something?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Jews ARE (or more correctly, CAN be) white. Ashkenazi Jews are descended from German/Alsatian communities (same area my ancestors, all Christian, hailed from). There are also non-white Jews. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
How do you know who is Jewish anyway to randomly discriminate? I've seen some people with names or facial features that made me think they might be Jewish, but lots of other people I have met and had no idea until they told me. Hitler had his lists but I doubt anyone poses as a census taker just to find out who is Jewish lol

Just curious but why do some people not like Jewish people to begin with? I don't understand how someone can live in the US and call himself a Nazi? Didn't our parents and grandparents die fighting Nazis? Why on earth would any US citizen call himself a Nazi is beyond me? I think they should be tried as enemy combatants (even if the war has ended) just for calling themselves Nazis.

You got me on this one, I can't even figure out who is Jewish, much less determine why I shouldn't like them other than they'll punish me if I accidently drop a Tora.
I grew up in Skokie, Illinois in the 50s and 60s. On Jewish holidays, there were two kids in class at school. They finally decided to close the schools on Yom Kippur. My friends used to say I was "Jewish by osmosis". I know when someone is Jewish. I do not know why people discriminate against them. Envy, maybe, for their hard work, drive for success, discipline, humor, and compassion for humanity. Those are qualities I saw in my Jewish friends and their families. Really good people. No stereotyping here, just my experience.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I still can't figure out how you tell the difference between a Jewish person and a white person without doing DNA work or something?
Ummm, most Jews are white. You're mixing religion and race -- apples and oranges. I can usually tell, but that's because I grew up in a predominantly Jewish town and most of my friends were Jewish. Can't explain how to tell, but it doesn't really matter. People are people. I don't care what their religious beliefs are.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Jews ARE (or more correctly, CAN be) white. Ashkenazi Jews are descended from German/Alsatian communities (same area my ancestors, all Christian, hailed from). There are also non-white Jews. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am.
You're correct, and there are non-white Jews -- Sammy Davis, Jr. was Jewish.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Brookside and the upper plaza area always reminded me of parts of the Scarsdale area of NewYork City.... maybe a little ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City