Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What does not proper mean?
It means it is rude, disrespectful, and inappropriate. But I know our standards have gone downhill in regard to mainstream etiquette.

Brownback's office should be praised for reaching out to a young person like this. It should be understood that being a part of a prestigious and intellectual school program one should be respectful of the integrity of said program.

All this BS about wasting tax dollars, etc. is just that, BS.

This isn't an issue of ideology. It is an issue of youthful minds defying the wisdom of their elders and thinking they know it all and looking ignorant in the process and being so ignorant they don't even realize it.

I know many will never see what I am saying, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,923,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It means it is rude, disrespectful, and inappropriate. But I know our standards have gone downhill in regard to mainstream etiquette.

Brownback's office should be praised for reaching out to a young person like this. It should be understood that being a part of a prestigious and intellectual school program one should be respectful of the integrity of said program.

All this BS about wasting tax dollars, etc. is just that, BS.

This isn't an issue of ideology. It is an issue of youthful minds defying the wisdom of their elders and thinking they know it all and looking ignorant in the process and being so ignorant they don't even realize it.

I know many will never see what I am saying, but it is what it is.
So you think that it is OK for a government official to monitor and punish people for merely exercising their free speech rights? I don't buy that one bit. If this had been a Democrat trying to get a child with conservative political views in trouble you and many others would be singing a different tune.

The content of the girl's tweets is completely irrelevant and IMO they weren't even in the ballpark of what I would consider offensive.

The story here is the appalling abuse of power that was attempted by the governor's staffer and the principal. The actions that the governor's office tried to instigate by proxy through the principal is a clear cut violation of both the spirit and letter of the 1st Amendment.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
She reportedly wrote the message from the back row while Brownback was speaking.
Now that is pretty funny.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Yes, but are you concerned with all those Brownback supporters who call President Obama "Obummer/racist/communist/Muslim/dictator... etc"? I certainly don't hear people on the right calling for civility and respect when it comes to our President

Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,923,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yes, but are you concerned with all those Brownback supporters who call President Obama "Obummer/racist/communist/Muslim/dictator... etc"? I certainly don't hear people on the right calling for civility and respect when it comes to our President
Exactly, and they would be beside themselves if Obama had a paid staffer find their internet posts and then contact their schools or employers and demand that they be punished. It is crazy that the partisan blinders allow so many people to lash out at the girl when it was Brownback and his lackeys that were the only ones that should have been punished for their actions.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Brownback overstepped and has since apologized and he definitely came out of the situation looking small and petty since he is supposed to have more class and grace than some idiot 18yo girl. He replaced the former DEMOCRATIC seat occupied by a no-name Sebelius appointee. His landslide victory was no doubt part of the backlash to the democrats and related to his economic oriented campaign against a veritable no-name. I doubt he would have beaten Sebelius so all the moronic comments axe-grinding on KS seem rather silly.

The girl is a twit with the depth of a puddle. Oooh, look at me tweet....how about next time you get off your butt and write a nice article to the KC Star explaining why you disagree with Brownbacks positions, legislative actions etc? Have them publish it, they almost certainly will if it's free .

As a fiscal conservative I actually like Brownback....as a social liberal I don't. He does have some rather surprising positions on immigration, healthcare, renewable resources and a few others.

Sam Brownback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, in times like these he was elected for fiscal policy reasons.

I personally don't give a crap what people from outside the state think. There is no fixing the ignorance I often run into about Mississippi democrats like Fred Phelps that people rail at us about without a clue and tell us to "do something about them" as if we can impugn their free speech because it meets their agenda. The vast majority have no idea that we elected Sebelius too. I'm a transplant but it get's really old.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
A lot of Kansas Democrats, like me, have left the state for good! You couldn't pay me to live in a state where they'll elect someone that far to the right as governor.
Since you have relocated, perhaps you should go start threads in the Colorado forum addressing the social ills there instead of trotting over here to take pot-shots all the time?

How about the gay man stabbed to death in pueblo this year?

Obviously you have a lot of hostility towards KS, well before they ever elected Brownback. Then you show up here and drag the whole state through the mud every chance you get.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,189,338 times
Does anyone opposed to this Tweet even know what Tweeting is? It is a very short message! Yes, the proper thing for her to do would have been to type up a 10 page dissertation on why she was opposed to his policies. However, there just isn't room in a Tweet to do that!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Does anyone opposed to this Tweet even know what Tweeting is? It is a very short message! Yes, the proper thing for her to do would have been to type up a 10 page dissertation on why she was opposed to his policies. However, there just isn't room in a Tweet to do that!
Yeah, it is silly to expect a political dissertation. She is a teenage girl who was chatting with some friends. My goodness, we just eaves dropped on a silly conversation. She wasn't trying to have a respectful dialogue with the governor on policy differences. Let kids be kids.

Again this was not a communication that was directed at the governor. If she tweeted him directly, then yeah, one could call it rude. But, this was a essentially a private conversation written in a public space. It is like the Brownback staffer purposefully sits in a cafeteria listening in to people's conversations for anything said about Brownback. Yes, the conversation is in a public space, but it still is a private conversation. It wasn't like the girl was blogging on Politico. So, people shouldn't expect dissertation level discourse. If you don't like what is being said, don't eaves drop. In any case, it is not worth using the office of the governor to come down on the kid over it.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I'm not opposed to tweeting, it's just the realm of vapid crap like "OMG, hot pockets r yummy!"

My commentary is that especially with regards to public policy, tweeting is like taking your date to McDonalds and then eating your shake with your fingers. Classy!

If you don't like taylor swift and tweet that "she blows" that's one thing. If you don't like Brownback, that's fine too.....however, if you really want to affect change and reach voters you should take it up in a more appropriate method of communicating which of his policies you find flawed.

I'm an independant, I didn't vote for Brownback. Just trying to get the lightbulb to click on for the partisans about how to effectively communicate to people that actually think before they vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas