Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

Does anybody watch the TV show Greensburg? It is interesting to watch how people's reactions and thought process go in situations like that. I think one thing you do learn is that some people are just naturally born leaders. They just stand up when nobody else does and take the reins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 04:37 PM

713 posts, read 2,718,151 times
Hi. I watched the introductory show. I used to live in Protection, KS and drove thru Greensburg on my way to Wichita. I left Kansas two yrs ago, so I missed the excitement. My son stayed back and helped with the clean-up a bit. What I have always wondered, there was a tractor implement store on the west end of town. Were all of the combines blown away in the tornado?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,168,640 times
I watched something online about a week ago....Very touching...

WE don't get the green network or whatever it's called.

My Hubby grew up not far from Greensburg...

Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 AM
jeh

31 posts, read 130,661 times
i've enjoyed most of planet green's programming.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times
I'd been meaning to catch it but today they ran a marathon of the shows and I got to see a couple episodes.
I always wonder about places like that and many other storm ravaged places,if there's so little left there why don't they just consider moving to a less disaster prone town?
Also when they do rebuild,is it possible to use sturdier materials such as concrete etc? When I see the videos of tornadoes going over highway overpasses with little damage,if I lived out there that'd be the stuff I'd look at building my house from

Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,384 times
Can you please explain what it is,for those of us not in the know? Thanks!!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:59 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Can you please explain what it is,for those of us not in the know? Thanks!!
I love the show. Basically, its starts with footage and telling of stories about the day of the tornado. Then it follows the rebuilding process. Several people/families are featured, especially those in Government (Mayor, City Council).

I found it both very interesting and touching. It made me wonder why I hadn't heard more about this before the airing of the first episode. Not to downplay or dismiss the victims of Hurricane Katrina, but it seems like this weather related tragedy was of the same magnitude but got little coverage outside of the local area compared to Katrina.

The rebuilding process and the decision to make Greensburg a LEED certified "green" town was really interesting and informative. They showed more of the pro side but they did give people an opportunity to give their dissenting viewpoint about the feasibility and restrictions of making the town green.

I'd be really interested in seeing the town now.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times
Check out this link-

Greensburg Show Info : Planet Green
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas