Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 25,445 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am 21 and it is my plan to move to Kauai at the end of the summer. It has always been my dream to live there. I have visited many times because my two cousins and their wives and families and my aunt live there. My plan is to finish up school there and while im doing that wait tables or bartend (that is what i do now in austin,tx), I am not really concerned about the cost of living there because I have some money saved for the first few months plus my college loans help pay rent, but I am concerned about my social life there. I am a really outgoing person, I am very athletic and love the outdoors. But I am very haole(not sure on spelling) I have very blonde hair and light green eyes, I have heard that most people dont really like new people moving to the island, is that true? My cousins say its fine but I know they just really want me there. Does anyone have any advice for me on moving there and what it is going to be like once i get there? Thank you! -Michaela-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Just tell folks you moved there to be near your family. That's a very understandable reason to move and family is extremely important so of course you'd have to move to be near your family. Moving to Kauai to "live in Paradise" or "swim with the dolphins" or "live under a rainbow" isn't as palatable a reason for moving but to be near your family is not only socially acceptable but socially correct as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM

227 posts, read 917,921 times
So let me get this straight you are young, blonde, thin and most likely attractive. So you really think you are going to have a hard time being accepted? You most likely are going to have to turn people down from wanting to be with you all the time.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Thank you both.. ya I am moving there to be next to my family, they are so amazing. I dont have a very big family, the only extended family I have is there and one of my cousins has nine children and the other has two so I will have my hands full with all of them...ha and thanks bresdo- I wasnt really concerned about guys liking me, more about making friends that are girls. I have never lived anywhere but my hometown in austin so this will be a huge change for me. It is going to be exciting and very scary... so here is another question- Is it hard to get a job there as a waitress or bartender? I know the economy is seriously hurting hawaii...

Last edited by MikeAnn87; 03-27-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,063 times
It isn't impossible to get a job and being that you have family here, you will have a better shot at a job. I know Cafe Portofino is/was hiring recently. One of the problems with being a server, however, is that with occupancy down there are few covers. The tables that you would get are generally not tipping as well as they used to (according to my friends who are servers). You probably will have difficulty finding a job until you are actually here, however.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,800 times
Don't worry about what you look like...just be yourself and find those that respect you for who you are and not what you look like. If you are looking for prejudice...you will find it....anywhere in the world. Move to Hawaii because you want to and it's part of your life's plan. It's great to see someone choosing where they want to live on purpose and not by accident. Go for it....

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM

Thank you all again! Mar- do you have friends that live off just being a waitress? I live pretty simply... My aunt is a waitress at the sheraton poipu and makes good money but she has been there for over ten years and is part of the union so she makes a good hourly and gets the best shifts. I am just worried because I have read alot on the forum about people having 2 or three jobs which would be probably impossible for me to have more than one maybe two if I am also in school.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

96 posts, read 619,848 times
quick question, you mentioned that you were going to finish school there, I'm assuming at UH Manoa? if so that is on Oahu. Honolulu will have more jobs as there are more people, once you've moved or tell employers that you will be arriving a specified date you will have a better chance of finding a job. though the job market, especially those that mostly rely on tourism are hurting, however it isn't impossible to find a job as a waitress, as long as you make the effort and send resume out to as many places as possible.
where do you plan on going to school there? just a bit confused as the main university as well as other smaller ones are on Oahu.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM

I am just doing an associates degree which can be achieved at Kauai Community College, I might do my last year for a bachelors online through UH Monoa which I have looked into and others on Kauai have done. I dont really have any interest in moving to Oahu, its too big of a city and my family is on Kauai. KoaHawaii- do you have any friends that live off of just being a waitress?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 AM

96 posts, read 619,848 times
oh ok got it, i know some who have done so but not as their only job, it's sort of hard to say how good or bad it would be now as the economy is bad and im not sure what your budgets are and how much money you need to be making but it will be difficult. though if living with family that would help a lot. right now it might be tough finding a job period especially those that rely more heavily on tourists as tourism is hurting right now. but as long as you send out your resumes and follow up and try to make contacts etc to help your chances at finding something you may have luck. sorry that probably doesnt help much. a few years ago when economy was a little better i know some who were fine living off money from restaurants but many also had another job or were not having to pay expenses of rent etc. as living at home or with family or were at school so didn't have as many expenses as say someone with a family. it can be done but it is just going to be more difficult right now. not sure how kauai is as i dont live there so can't really give you much info on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai