Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Kauai with my husband and 3 children, ages 20, 18, and 12. The 12 year old is blond haired and blue eyed. Will he have difficulty or will he be bullied at school? He is small of stature for his age. In our present school district in Colorado there is a zero tolerance for bullying... a result of the Columbine school shootings (Columbine is in our present school district). We wil probably live in Kapaa, so my son will go to Kappa Middle School. What sort of safety precautions are implemented at Kapaa Middle School.. particularly as related to bullying? Are the white minority kids protected from bullying and violence by the school personnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Sue, moving at that age (12) is difficult anywhere. The whole haole thing is overblown on these forums by mainlanders with fears who use words like blond-blue and minority and violence, and by a few people who had issues. Most of the long-timers will give you a more balanced and reasoned view. Keep reading old threads, they usually say it boils down to attitude.

Kids in school get chided, teased, taunted, and bullied for any number of reasons. New kids always get it to some degree. I (white) was teased and taunted when I moved to AZ (all white neighborhood) at 12.

I have no direct experience of KMS, but from knowing the town and hearsay about the schools, here's my opinion. Your son will stand out at KMS, and may get some comments, some of them mentioning that he's white/blond/haole. If he fits in, learns the local attitudes, and makes friends, he should be fine. Do realize though, that while Kapa'a isn't a rough neighborhood, it is still relatively rural and many kids come from families that don't emphasize education. That doesn't make for a good learning environment.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueODisciple View Post
Are the white minority kids protected from bullying and violence by the school personnel?
Sorry, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai