Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 PM

298 posts, read 596,171 times

Advertisements

How many have you been to?
I been to and can recommend these:
Barren River
Cumberland falls
Dale hollow
Fort Boonesborough
General Burnside Island
General Butler
Green River
Jenny Wiley
Kenlake
Kentucky Dam Village
Kentucky Horse Park
Lake Barkley
Lake Cumberland
Levi Jackson
My Old Kentucky Home
Natural Bridge

There are several more. Kentucky sure does have a lot of State Parks. We like to camp at the campgrounds. If anyone likes to camp and has camped at some of the parks, what do you all think of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Hi, Hiball! I grew up camping here in western Kentucky. My family always took weekend camping trips to Kenlake or the Land Between the Lakes. Went quite a few years without camping but have started again! Took my wife last year. This was her first camping trip in 30 years and she loves it. I noticed your list is just state parks. The Land Between the Lakes (Land Between The Lakes) has 4 campgrounds plus, with a permit, you can primitive camp anywhere in the LBL. We camp at Hillman Ferry. The main problem we have there is raccoons and skunks at night. Mainly raccoons trying to get into your food. We used to camp at Kenlake. It's a nice campground on the edge of the lake. I'm trying to talk my wife into going there next spring when we start camping again. Ky. Dam Village is nice but between there and Kenlake, I'd take Kenlake. Lake Barkley is nice too but, if you have to drive somewhere at night, be careful! LOTS of deer in the park. Wish I could show you the $1200 of damage our car got from hitting a deer when I was going 30 MPH in the park! lol You're about 10 miles from Cadiz. Between those 3 state parks, if you need to make a run to the local Walmart or Dollar Store, Kenlake is about 18 miles from Murray, Lake Barkley is about 10 miles from Cadiz (Dollar Store, Fred's and 2 groceries). Ky. Dam Village is about 12 miles from Benton and 15 miles from Eddyville. Hope you enjoy camping in the area and seeing the sites!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
How many have you been to?
I been to and can recommend these:
Barren River
Cumberland falls
Dale hollow
Fort Boonesborough
General Burnside Island
General Butler
Green River
Jenny Wiley
Kenlake
Kentucky Dam Village
Kentucky Horse Park
Lake Barkley
Lake Cumberland
Levi Jackson
My Old Kentucky Home
Natural Bridge

There are several more. Kentucky sure does have a lot of State Parks. We like to camp at the campgrounds. If anyone likes to camp and has camped at some of the parks, what do you all think of them?
The ones I've been to are in bold. I've been to the Kentucky Horse Park but that isn't an actual State Park. Lake Cumberland isn't a State Park either.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
The daniel boone national forrest is just awesome to me and by far one of the prettiest places in kentucky to me . I love it . I got some awesome photos in there and really liked it . I went there one wk before the fire hit it in 2008 . Oh well I still say one of the best state parks .

Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hi, Hiball! I grew up camping here in western Kentucky. My family always took weekend camping trips to Kenlake or the Land Between the Lakes. Went quite a few years without camping but have started again! Took my wife last year. This was her first camping trip in 30 years and she loves it. I noticed your list is just state parks. The Land Between the Lakes (Land Between The Lakes) has 4 campgrounds plus, with a permit, you can primitive camp anywhere in the LBL. We camp at Hillman Ferry. The main problem we have there is raccoons and skunks at night. Mainly raccoons trying to get into your food. We used to camp at Kenlake. It's a nice campground on the edge of the lake. I'm trying to talk my wife into going there next spring when we start camping again. Ky. Dam Village is nice but between there and Kenlake, I'd take Kenlake. Lake Barkley is nice too but, if you have to drive somewhere at night, be careful! LOTS of deer in the park. Wish I could show you the $1200 of damage our car got from hitting a deer when I was going 30 MPH in the park! lol You're about 10 miles from Cadiz. Between those 3 state parks, if you need to make a run to the local Walmart or Dollar Store, Kenlake is about 18 miles from Murray, Lake Barkley is about 10 miles from Cadiz (Dollar Store, Fred's and 2 groceries). Ky. Dam Village is about 12 miles from Benton and 15 miles from Eddyville. Hope you enjoy camping in the area and seeing the sites!
Thanks kygman...We camped at Ky Dam Village many years ago when I was very young. Me and my brother stayed two weeks in a two man tent and it rained every day except for the day we packed up to go home. That's the main reason I refuse to tent camp anymore, that and the fact that I'm getting older now and just don't want all the work that goes along with tent camping. You could say I'm getting lazy in my older years.

I just like State Parks, I don't have any dislike for the Federal parks, I have stayed in a couple over the years. We try to stay closer home now, we have some Family members that we need to stay a little closer to.

Thanks again

Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
The ones I've been to are in bold. I've been to the Kentucky Horse Park but that isn't an actual State Park. Lake Cumberland isn't a State Park either.
Well they might not be but, Looking at the Kentucky State Park web site they are. Oh well...it don't matter they all are very good parks in my opinion.

Kentucky State Parks - Reservations Campground

Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Going from memory, state parks, state resort parks or state historic sites I've been to:
Columbus-Belmont
Kenlake
Kentucky Dam Village
Lake Barkley
Barren River
Old Fort Harrod
Constitution Square
Fort Boonesborough
Lake Cumberland
Cumberland Falls
Pine Mountain
Carter Caves
Pine Mountain
Green River Lake
White Hall
Lincoln Homestead
Pennyrile Forest
John James Audubon
Natural Bridge
My Old Kentucky Home
General Butler
Jenny Wiley

I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM

Great...I just remembered when I read the last post I have been to Pine mountain also, how did I forget that one?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM

295 posts, read 974,600 times
We have been to General Butler, Cumberland Falls and Pine Mountain.

Pine Mountain State Resort Park is not far from my hometown of Middlesboro so we have been there several times over the years. One of our family reunions was held in the Laurel Cove section of the park. I believe that Pine Mountain was the first Kentucky State Park.

Isn't Kingdom Come a state park also?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I just noticed Columbus Belmont on your list. Never camped there but, growing up in Mayfield, our church youth group always took hayrides to there. Plus some family cookouts too. My parents used to enjoy sitting in the picnic shelter watching the sun set in Missouri. This is an interesting park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky