Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times

Advertisements

This really is something that evokes my curiosity and exploration.

I hear about people from this state traveling to places like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Florida, Cedar Point, and the Smokies for vacation. And when I've been to the Smokies, I've seen a lot of Kentucky license plates.

But let's draw away from the usual tourist destinations that attract every Joe Schmo and their grandma between Bangor and Birmingham. Even in more exotic, expensive and, shall we say, worldly or multicultural locales, I don't see many Kentuckians. Not even people wearing anything that symbolizes Kentucky (i.e.: UK, UofL, WKU, EKU, etc.) Not even automobiles with Kentucky license plates or any kind of Kentucky auto dealer decal.

Cases in point:
1. I have taken two trips to California in the last twelve months and put A LOT of miles and fought A LOT of urban, rush hour traffic during both trips. Not one Kentucky license plate, not even a dealer tag. I even saw license plates from Iowa, Mississippi, South Carolina and West Virginia, and a lot from Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio, for example, but not KY. I only met one Kentuckian while there and I figured as such b/c he was wearing a UK ball cap.

2. During other trips I've taken (i.e.: Texas, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, D.C.) I have noticed the same thing. When in San Antonio and New York, I only saw one Kentucky license plate each. Elsewhere in Texas and the aforementioned cities, nothing! Nowhere did I see any symbolism of Kentucky displayed by people.

I know I see many people from other locales indicated by the paraphernalia they wear (supporting, for example, Cal, Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee, Rutgers, Texas, Oregon, etc.) Additionally, whenever I talk to people about having been to Chicago, D.C., L.A., San Fran, NYC, Atlanta, etc., I cannot tell you how many times I hear, "Well, it must be a nice place to visit" or "I've never (or ain't never) had the opportunity to visit."

I know that I enjoy traveling. The only place I've lived in Kentucky where much of the population is remotely worldly is Louisville. Are fellow Kentuckians so content with where they live that they see no need to travel? Or, do they just not have an interest? Or, can it not be explained? (Folks, I'm not being derogatory, this is a legitimate question.)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 10-31-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Most can only travel as far as the ball of string in the trunk will allow. Once that string runs out, they have no choice but to follow it back home.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Trolls have nothing better to do. Please go back under your bridge.....

Ridiculous posts that are actually flat out dumb.

Get a life for crying out loud....

Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Trolls have nothing better to do. Please go back under your bridge.....

Ridiculous posts that are actually flat out dumb.

Get a life for crying out loud....
Ding dong, the program lives, the program lives, the program lives! (Where's IrishTom when you need him?)

If it has negative connotations and founded even somewhat on fallacy, feelings, or opinion, then yes it's trolling. When it is observation that, even if you can't statistically prove it, is based on experiences and interactions with people and things, then it's merely opinion or inquisitive.

(I just feel like using big words today! )

Old 10-31-2010, 03:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
This really is something that evokes my curiosity and exploration.

I hear about people from this state traveling to places like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Florida, Cedar Point, and the Smokies for vacation. And when I've been to the Smokies, I've seen a lot of Kentucky license plates.

But let's draw away from the usual tourist destinations that attract every Joe Schmo and their grandma between Bangor and Birmingham. Even in more exotic, expensive and, shall we say, worldly or multicultural locales, I don't see many Kentuckians. Not even people wearing anything that symbolizes Kentucky (i.e.: UK, UofL, WKU, EKU, etc.) Not even automobiles with Kentucky license plates or any kind of Kentucky auto dealer decal.

Cases in point:
1. I have taken two trips to California in the last twelve months and put A LOT of miles and fought A LOT of urban, rush hour traffic during both trips. Not one Kentucky license plate, not even a dealer tag. I even saw license plates from Iowa, Mississippi, South Carolina and West Virginia, and a lot from Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio, for example, but not KY. I only met one Kentuckian while there and I figured as such b/c he was wearing a UK ball cap.

2. During other trips I've taken (i.e.: Texas, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, D.C.) I have noticed the same thing. When in San Antonio and New York, I only saw one Kentucky license plate each. Elsewhere in Texas and the aforementioned cities, nothing! Nowhere did I see any symbolism of Kentucky displayed by people.

I know I see many people from other locales indicated by the paraphernalia they wear (supporting, for example, Cal, Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee, Rutgers, Texas, Oregon, etc.) Additionally, whenever I talk to people about having been to Chicago, D.C., L.A., San Fran, NYC, Atlanta, etc., I cannot tell you how many times I hear, "Well, it must be a nice place to visit" or "I've never (or ain't never) had the opportunity to visit."

I know that I enjoy traveling. The only place I've lived in Kentucky where much of the population is remotely worldly is Louisville. Are fellow Kentuckians so content with where they live that they see no need to travel? Or, do they just not have an interest? Or, can it not be explained? (Folks, I'm not being derogatory, this is a legitimate question.)

Hard to imagine being able to make a conclusion based on your evidence

I think it really depends on income based on my experiences with fellow Kentuckians - people with less income, travel short distances & people with income, travel further. I'm sure the recession has affected many people's vacation funds.

Either way, just because people can't afford to travel places further away, it doesn't mean they don't enjoy travel. Who doesn't enjoy a nice break from home and work?

Also if you are looking for locals who previously lived in KY, I'm sure most will blend right in. If a Kentuckian moved to LA, you probably will find a mixed bag as to how many are really interested in keeping up with the goings on @ UK for example.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM

The trips to Texas, New York, Atlanta, Chicago and D.C. were all before the economy went way south. In fact, Texas was nearly ten years ago and D.C. was more than ten years ago, both trips during a time of great economic prosperity. While I agree with easydoesit that economic means do affect peoples' abilities to travel, in the case of the people of Kentucky I just don't see them out and about much.

And, for Kentuckians that move to other places, they will blend in. And it will be a mixed bag as to how many care about the UK v. UofL rivalry, Governor Beshear's Governorship, the World Equestrian Games, etc. They won't generally do anything to stand out. I'm referring to the tourist-looking types that would wear something to support their home state or alma mater.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM

298 posts, read 595,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most can only travel as far as the ball of string in the trunk will allow. Once that string runs out, they have no choice but to follow it back home.
Vis...care to elaborate?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:09 PM

298 posts, read 595,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
The trips to Texas, New York, Atlanta, Chicago and D.C. were all before the economy went way south. In fact, Texas was nearly ten years ago and D.C. was more than ten years ago, both trips during a time of great economic prosperity. While I agree with easydoesit that economic means do affect peoples' abilities to travel, in the case of the people of Kentucky I just don't see them out and about much.

And, for Kentuckians that move to other places, they will blend in. And it will be a mixed bag as to how many care about the UK v. UofL rivalry, Governor Beshear's Governorship, the World Equestrian Games, etc. They won't generally do anything to stand out. I'm referring to the tourist-looking types that would wear something to support their home state or alma mater.
Ears...If YOU didn't see them, does that mean they wasn't there?

Besides, if it has been over 10 years since you were there...statute of limitation's have ran out, you have no case.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
We and many of our friends in Kentucky travel quite a bit including, over the last 18 months, visits to Russia, Australia, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Dubai, Africa and China....so no, you wouldn't see our Kentucky license plates when you go to (ho-hum) New York or Chicago.

You know who really cares whether people travel or not...and yes, Kentucky is a place where there are many who are content and happy and don't feel a need to "travel" all the time. We travel, many of our friends travel, some don't - exactly what is your point? Travel by Americans both in and outside of America is way down because of the economy. Another thing - when we travel within the United States, we fly as much as we drive so no KY license plate following us around when we fly and rent a car.

Last edited by Cattknap; 10-31-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 06:43 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Vis...care to elaborate?
Easy. Luke ties one end of the string to the bumper of the old Dodge Charger (which sits on blocks on the front lawn of waist high weeds). Granny, holding the other end of the string, sits in the family pick-up, and off they go. When the string runs out Granny elbows the driver as a signal to stop. They have to decide to go without any guidance or to follow the string back home.
I wonder how much string is needed to get to Panama Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky