Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerricaAnna View Post
I think the culture in Appalachian States ( im from western VA) in general has become destructive and has given up in many areas , over the years. The people in mountain states seem to be raised with an 'F it' mentality about certain things and weight and fitness are one of those factors. Not to mention, eating is more of a social thing in Appalachia and the south. In addition, many people eat cheap food in mountain/southern areas and cheap food is FULL of checmical that throws hormones, chemicals, sugar levels and thyroid completely into non human looking modes.

I lived in europe and the people eat lots of sweets and have portion sizes simular to americas, the difference is , their FDA (or equivilant) has stricter guidelines and the people are more conscious of eating foods with less packaging, preserves and chemicals. There is hardly a fat kid to be found, but they are always snacking on bread, cheese and chocolate! BY the way, no one there goes to the gym and mothers of 5 children were only like 20 pounds over weight, CRAZY stuff!

Wonder why MIchelle Obama will not discuss the real prob with american food? BEcause people do not want to change american food restrictions. Michelle wants a pat on the back, but doesnt want to get to the REAL root of the prob, which is not that people are eating mostly sweets or their portion sizes...but what our country allows to be sold and injected /hidden in our foods, that causes are bodies to malfunction and shut down until people start getting the third stomach effect
even when you try to be healthier, there are so many hidden monsters behind the label, there needs to be gov intervention. Until then appalachians/southerners need to get back to the garden (no butter and fried foods) and boycot all the crap in wrappers!
"Not to mention, eating is more of a social thing in Appalachia and the south."

I agree with this 100%. They call food events at work here "pitch-ins." Everyone brings in food that they cook themselves or is pre-packaged. The sheer quantity and magnitude of these events is like nothing I have ever seen. Then, all of the sweet foods come in when anyone has a birthday. It's like these people have a food addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 PM

298 posts, read 596,128 times
"Pitch-in" well call it whatever ye want...but, where I come from ,if ye come carrying in something ye got at wal-mart, well, you'll probably be laughed out of town but, we'll let ye eat anyway though, that's just the kinda people we are. No wormern I know would even consider coming in with a broughton cake or pie or anything else.

It don't take a B-day to have a B-day cake and pies and more cakes and more pies and brownies and on and on. It ain't a eatin ifen ye ain't got sweets.

When is the next "Pitch-In"? I can't wait, we'll do our part. Sorry we want get to see you though, GraniteStater, as I'm sure you wouldn't even consider takin part in such an unhealthy act as eating home cooked food. Most of which probably came from the garden.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:36 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
"Pitch-in" well call it whatever ye want...but, where I come from ,if ye come carrying in something ye got at wal-mart, well, you'll probably be laughed out of town but, we'll let ye eat anyway though, that's just the kinda people we are. No wormern I know would even consider coming in with a broughton cake or pie or anything else.

It don't take a B-day to have a B-day cake and pies and more cakes and more pies and brownies and on and on. It ain't a eatin ifen ye ain't got sweets.

When is the next "Pitch-In"? I can't wait, we'll do our part. Sorry we want get to see you though, GraniteStater, as I'm sure you wouldn't even consider takin part in such an unhealthy act as eating home cooked food. Most of which probably came from the garden.
I have no problem with food events or home cooked food. What I can't believe is the sheer quantity of food.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
Old news really.

People are lazy and have poor diets.

I walk about 3-5 miles a day not just for the exercise but fresh air. I can still fit in the same clothes I wore in high school about 15 yrs ago.

Can't imagine sitting inside in front of a tv or a computer all day & eating fast food + other processed garbage for my meals.

When I traveled to California a few years back I rarely saw heavy people - especially in San Fran.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Sometimes, it seems that the only physical exercise they get is to jump up from the sofa to cheer for every basket scored.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
A Kentucky cocktail party.

Classy enough for even John "Jesus Christ" Calipari.

Source: http://www.barelyhangingon.com/wp-co...k_overalls.jpg

Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
As I like to say about the Gattitown Buffet in Lexington: the buffet line was really crowded today. There was only 3 people in line but it was crowded!

Seriously, I think the issue is that our society is in transition. People remember their skin and bones grandpa eating 10 eggs for breakfast and live to age 80. Problem is he probably busted his but in the tobacco fields or coal mine while in 2011 they sit on their butts 12 hours a day and spend another 8 hours in bed. Also we are surrounded by dirt cheap junk food with lots of calories but no nutritional value. Through 99% of human history starvation was a real threat and obesity was only a problem for the king.

I have lost 55 pounds since May 2009. I had the same issue as a lot of Americans: I didn't understand the amount of food I could eat each meal and maintain a healthy weight regardless of whether or not I got any exercise. I ate the same portion sizes from my teen years until 2009. If I had an active job (bringing in carts) or rode my bike a lot I would lose weight. As soon as I exercised less I gained it back. Now, for the first time in my life I have consistantly lost weight (net loss every month since May 2009) because of diet/ portion size changes. I still exercise, but IMO portion sizes matter more than exercise. After a while your stomach actually shrinks and you can;t physically eat as much as in the past.

The average man only needs 2,000 calories per day (not per meal), the average woman needs only 1,500 calories per day to maintain a healthy weight. Eat more than that and you gain weight. Now if you're really over weight you could eat 2,500 per day and lose weight, but at some point you have to get down to 2,000 to maintain a healthy weight. I'd estimate I used to eat 3,000 per day! (1 1/3 cups of white rice and half a bag of tyson chicken tenderloins. No Joke!!)

Count calories for everything you can. Most restaurant food you can get exact calorie counts for national chains or estimates for local food. And no, it's not your metabolism!!!

And I totally agree with Michelle Obama that restaurants must start allow portion size choices. As stated above woman typicaly burn 1/3 less calories than a man of the same height, yet at 99% restaurants they must order man size portions!

Last edited by censusdata; 02-26-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As I like to say about the Gattitown Buffet in Lexington: the buffet line was really crowded today. There was only 3 people in line but it was crowded!

Seriously, I think the issue is that our society is in transition. People remember their skin and bones grandpa eating 10 eggs for breakfast and live to age 80. Problem is he probably busted his but in the tobacco fields or coal mine while in 2011 they sit on their butts 12 hours a day and spend another 8 hours in bed. Also we are surrounded by dirt cheap junk food with lots of calories but no nutritional value. Through 99% of human history starvation was a real threat and obesity was only a problem for the king.

I have lost 55 pounds since May 2009. I had the same issue as a lot of Americans: I didn't understand the amount of food I could eat each meal and maintain a healthy weight regardless of whether or not I got any exercise. I ate the same portion sizes from my teen years until 2009. If I had an active job (bringing in carts) or rode my bike a lot I would lose weight. As soon as I exercised less I gained it back. Now, for the first time in my life I have consistantly lost weight (net loss every month since May 2009) because of diet/ portion size changes. I still exercise, but IMO portion sizes matter more than exercise. After a while your stomach actually shrinks and you can;t physically eat as much as in the past.

The average man only needs 2,000 calories per day (not per meal), the average woman needs only 1,500 calories per day to maintain a healthy weight. Eat more than that and you gain weight. Now if you're really over weight you could eat 2,500 per day and lose weight, but at some point you have to get down to 2,000 to maintain a healthy weight. I'd estimate I used to eat 3,000 per day! (1 1/3 cups of white rice and half a bag of tyson chicken tenderloins. No Joke!!)

Count calories for everything you can. Most restaurant food you can get exact calorie counts for national chains or estimates for local food. And no, it's not your metabolism!!!

And I totally agree with Michelle Obama that restaurants must start allow portion size choices. As stated above woman typicaly burn 1/3 less calories than a man of the same height, yet at 99% restaurants they must order man size portions!
Everything you say is exactly right. Our portions are so far out of whack that even with the appropriate amount of exercise many people would still be over weight. I love to eat and I also love to exercise. But as I've gotten older, 35 now, I've noticed I can't just "run off" those calories like I used to.

BTW, congrats on losing the weight, keep it up!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Well at least we have much better weather than much of the country..........

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 AM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Well at least we have much better weather than much of the country..........
In the spirit of the thread, "better weather" (as in warmer year round temps) certainly doesn't seem to be correlated to more physical activity as people often suggest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky