Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about these two places and the areas in between? We had orginally planned a move to TN, but decided that KY sounds much more friendly. Not to mention home prices and taxes seem to be less.

We do not need to be right in the middle of town, in fact, we prefer to be out in the country. Isolated is fine. Will need good school systems in a couple of years. Don't need alot of stores...cannot stand Walmart, so that is not a requirement. The one store I do like is Kohl's, but its not a must-have.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
I wish I could help you, but have only visited these two places for a day trip while traveling through. I fell in love with Middlesboro back in 1992 (only time I was there), and was told most jobs were in Knoxville about 50 miles away. Don't know what your requirements are job-status wise, but I'd sure check into that before moving to anywhere rural Kentucky. In my opinion.... you are choosing some of the most beautiful parts of Kentucky to be looking into relocating though!!!! Just make sure you KNOW you can get a job there... Good luck.. and I hope more people from anywhere in those area's will respond to give you more specific advice / information on the areas you mentioned.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Job isn't really an issue. Dh works for CAT and can relocate within the company to most any place in the world. He commutes 51 miles one way to work now, so travel doesn't bother him. (He is in field service so is on the road daily) We really are fairly flexible on where we can live, as long as its reasonably close to mountains and rural. I do not care for city living at all.
Of course this all depends on where he transfers to. We could be closer to Lexington.
We do plan to rent for a year and find an area we really like before we commit to buying.
Thanks for the information you could provide.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
You might put Morehead area on your list then!
It's about 1 hour drive East of Lexington, and 1 hour drive West of Huntington WV. It is definitely rural (under 6,000 population) sits in the middle of the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, has some amenities (local shops, many fast foods, WalMart, Lowe's, Krogers, etc.) a University offering Bachelors in various occupations, great schools in Rowan County, about 9 miles from a wonderful fishing/swimming/boating/jet ski lake called Cave Run Lake, and VERY cheap rentals, etc. Possibility at least!

Good luck in your move!!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Thank you Desiree. I will add Morehead to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky