Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM

29 posts, read 134,490 times

Advertisements

HI there. Husband and I are trying to find a nice place to migrate to after he graduates culinary school next year. We will be moving before next Christmas. Looking for a nice country town with history and land! I visited Greensburg and Campbellsville a couple of years ago and absolutely fell in love with the tiny little towns. I also visited Elizabeth town, but still would like to live somewhere a little smaller. Wondering if there are any towns close or equal to those near Louisville. Hubby will obviously need somewhere where he can get a good job and his ultimate goal being opening his own cafe.
We have been looking at Hodgenville. Any information can help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
How about Shelbyville?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
What about the Paducah area, many private cafes there, not as much crowd as Lu'vul.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Thanks guys

Both of those look nice. Shelbyville is a little more up my ally. Is most of Kentucky considered rural? or..where is "rural" kentucky mostly? I know that sounds dumb.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,704 times
Just my take on it... really..

but take anything lets say East of I-75 is definitely rural and mostly anything South of Richmond, Ky is rural.

Oh heck, most of the state is rural besides Lexington, Louisville, Paducah, Owensboro, Bowling Green, Murray... did I miss any? AND anything outside the outskirts of those towns is also rural!

Really the least rural part of Kentucky I believe would be around the Louisville area.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Berea, Danville & Midway. All of them have some good, locally owned eateries. Nice towns --- all small college towns.

Are you looking to commute to an area for work and live/work in a small town?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Thanks Everyone

All of your help has been more useful than you know. We are looking to live within less than an hour of a city where my husband can work.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 AM

You might also consider Carter County or Boyd County.

Your husband could easily commute to Huntington, WV if need be in 30 minutes or less from both those counties. Ashland, Raceland, Catlettsburg, Grayson, etc. are all towns in those two counties, right near the West Virginia border and you could EASILY live in small town/country living with WAY cheaper housing prices, AND he could work in Huntington, WV. This would be a MUCH cheaper route to go, than the Louisville area.

Or you could even try around Middlesboro, KY. This would give you only about a 30 minute or so commute to Knoxville, TN (which I hear is growing in leaps and bounds!) to either work or open a business.

Another suggestion... maybe around Elkton / Russelville, KY? This is within a fairly short commute to Fort Campbell military base, Clarksville,TN and I believe is about an hour from what... Memphis, TN?

Just my .02

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Wv

Thanks! I never even thought of the WV area. I will definately lookin into that!!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Actually... the counties and towns I've mentioned above are in Kentucky.. .just very near the WV border

I couldn't tell by your post if you understood that or not! LOL

I live in Rowan County, KY... right next to Carter County... that's what made me suggest this area to you... Eastern, Ky is beautiful, green, mountainy in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.. so is very different visually from Central Kentucky (rolling farmland type). Sits right on I-64 so you can commute easily to Huntington if need be...but live in PEACE, LOW-CRIME (violent), WAY cheaper...etc. etc.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky