Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 11:04 AM

15 posts, read 58,047 times

Advertisements

Hi to all

Me and my family are looking to move to Kentucky, but not sure were to move to, we have been looking in the London area but have been watching the news and it is just as humid there as it is here in Georgia and we are wanting to move out of the humidity. We would also like land with our house because we have dogs and a cat. We are looking for a place with good nieghbors but not with low standers. The house needs to be in the price rang of 75,000 and not much more then that. We love snow and the other four seasons. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,108 times
Question Moving to KY

Hello, just noticed your post.

First question would be are we talking about renting a home? Myself and my family area also looking to move to KY, but even with the incredible prices for homes in KY, nothing I have noticed is under 100K for a real home.

Maybe Tomocox on this forum who is a realtor can give you better advice, but even a small home of let's say a 3+2 is at least $150K. In fact I don't know of anything in this whole big country that is that low for a home unless it's demolished or maybe a forclosure [even that probably wouldn't make it that low in price].

I know were looking at 4 + 3's and they run from the $190K - $280K depending on the area. Good luck!

Bye the way, the extra high temps that KY is experiencing seem to be setting records, so they are not the norm. Usually both the humidity and temp's run a "few" degree's cooler than farther south. The more important info is that the humidity doesn't last as long as it does in the south [a cooler spring, early summer and fall] . Ciao.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Default relpy

yse you can find homes for under 100k I have found tons , look under realter.com give your price and then look for homes. thanks for your reply

Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Default Thanks K.Dunn

I certainly appreciate others complimentary suggestions that I might be of service. Thank you! I hope that I always give good advice without the fear of sounding commercial. Yes, I would enjoy working for others on this forum, but the information is most important.

Now, back at the Old Kentucky Home. Kentucky is a humid state. Although we are not "hotlanta", the Ohio River Valley can be a very hot, hazy & humid place. That being said, it's a place that I still love. Asthmatics do need to take heed, but what a great place to live. Kentucky has no perfection, but her blemishes give her character and that makes the state a grand place to live.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I certainly appreciate others complimentary suggestions that I might be of service. Thank you! I hope that I always give good advice without the fear of sounding commercial. Yes, I would enjoy working for others on this forum, but the information is most important.

Now, back at the Old Kentucky Home. Kentucky is a humid state. Although we are not "hotlanta", the Ohio River Valley can be a very hot, hazy & humid place. That being said, it's a place that I still love. Asthmatics do need to take heed, but what a great place to live. Kentucky has no perfection, but her blemishes give her character and that makes the state a grand place to live.
thank you for info, I was hoping you would tell me that is was not a humid state, but I would agree a it is a great place to live, I have done a lot of searching in the state and I really like it but need a places thats not humid

Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,233 times
All of Kentucky is humid during about 2 of the summer months. There is no getting around it. It is definitely NOT the same as true "Southern" humidity though. There actually is humidity all the way up to Canada (through Michigan), so that may surprise you. In order to truly get away from humidity, you'll have to go much further WEST (California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, etc.) Anything farther East than those mentioned, you are going to have humidity.

By the way... simplefamily you are correct. MANY homes here in Kentucky are around that price. The higher priced homes are in the more populated places around Lexington, Louisville, Northern Kentucky. The Rowan County average is about $84,000 for 3 bdrm... the more rural areas all over the state have averages from $60,000 up to $85,000 for nice homes, land, etc. You can definitely find housing in your price-range, especially around the London area. (Just get one with AC and put up with the 2 months of humid! It's TRULY not that bad here, and nothing like you are used to in the deep South!!!)

Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM

Thank you for the info, so it is not as bad as Georgia? that is good to hear my husband has trouble with the humid after he was bruned two years ago, so we are trying to find a place with lower humid, and besides we love the country up there. So if you had to rate the humid there what would it be?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,233 times
This is about the best info, someone else gave in a different thread.. hopefully this helps?

"I wouldn't be as concerned about the percentage but would concentrate on the comfort index level instead. The percents can differ so during the day. Most mornings in all these areas, there will be higher humidity which might be the reason why the one poster listed them so high. They all go down during the day, usually.

Remember the humidity anywhere will be 90 to 100% when it rains, but that doesn't mean the temperature is going to make it uncomfortable. Most people don't complain when the humidity is high if the temperature is cool. That's a no brainer. It's only in the hot weather when the discomfort is felt if the humidity is high.

Anyway, I've done much looking and if one checks the area he or she would like to relocate on Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, the comfort index of any particular area is listed. Such as where I live in TX, the comfort index is 24. This is based on humidity during hot months of the year. The higher the index number, the better (and cooler feeling). The average in the U.S. is 44.

Anyway, I'm checking out areas in NC, VA, WV, TN, and now KY and find Pikeville to have an index of 41, Louisa, 40, and Ashland, 39. Bowling Green is 34 as is Hopkinsville, and Eddyville, 28. Yikes!! Now Eddyville is almost as bad as where I live."

So, it seems that Northern and North & Central Eastern KY seems to have a higher heat index (which means it feels way less humid), whereas the lower Southwestern parts of KY seem to have a lower heat index, so it feels MORE humid down there.

Good luck!

Desiree

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky