Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,293 times

Advertisements

we are muslim family moving to McCrachen County, for job relocation, and my wife covering hear hair (wearing scarf) as a typical Muslim woman, I am worried for being not accepted in the community (hate issue). any thought. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:20 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Oh, do not be afraid. Kentucky is very open to people of all races, ethnics, religions, etc. Because you practice your faith in an open manner, you will receive stares and questioning glances, even verbal questions. But if a person walks up to you with a cold sore or a big zit on their noise, isn't it hard to not focus on the sore or zit? Same for your wife's hair covering. It will be natural for people to notice, even turn, but wear your faith well. Do not be afraid to speak of your faith as people will be naturally curious.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,293 times
Thank you for the replay, I am just worry that people feel repulsive or offended if they see us and my big concern is the school teachers and the police department. A teacher might not pay attention to my 5 yrs old daughter in the class knowing she is a Muslim girl. or a police might treat my wife in a harsh way in a very small traffic violation. How diverse the McCracken is? do you think people or officials are used to see a typical Muslim lady or family walking or living in the neighbor?.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:59 PM

104 posts, read 417,501 times
Paducah is the arts and cultural center for a a large area. It's a non issue. Just be friendly and you will be fine.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
I don't know too much about Paducah, so I hope you guys aren't sugar-coating this for them. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they did not encounter some prejudice, especially out in the county away from the city. I don't think it would be major, but the minor discriminations listed by him could certainly occur.

I would be surprised if the people in McCracken County opened their arms to a Muslim couple, but I hope I'm off track here. I'd love to be proven wrong. And I'd be shocked if more than one half of one percent of the population of McCracken County was Muslim.

I will be very happy if I am wrong.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
OT, by now, I think you know that I get into a lot of trouble for being so blunt. Paducah is 9 miles to one of the most visited National Parks. It sits on I-24 and is home to many river transportation industries, and one of America's best valued educational colleges sits close by in the form of Murray State University. Of course, there will always be the bad apple in nearly every barrel, but all things being equal, I'd take my chance on being right about McCracken Co.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 PM

104 posts, read 417,501 times
Look I live in Hopkinsville and 90% of the population here is related to or knows someone in the military. As I write this the 101st is deploying for 15 months to the middle east. So you would think if any place would be against Muslims this would be it. That's just not the way it is, IMO.You can walk into either one of the super Wal-Marts in Christian county on any given day and see people of every ilk. It is not uncommon to be next to people having a conversation in a foreign language. We got Mexicans, Indians, Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Puerto Ricans, Russians, the Amish (they're driving buggys around everywhere) , and even coal miners from Muhlenberg county (talk about strange, now there is some strange for you). I live in one of the nicer neighborhood's in the city and there are at least 5 Indian doctor's that live in here as well. Their wives walk every night and normally the older ladies wear traditional Indian dress. No one gives it a second thought. As for Paducah, it is much more liberal than Hopkinsville. Now I didn't say that they could stand on the street corners and give out literature, that could get a rise out of someone. But, just to come to Western Kentucky to live, I don't think they'll have any more chance of having a problem here than they would anywhere else in America. They might get invited to attend somebody's church, but so what. As long as they don't try to shove something down someone's throat I think they'll be fine. Oh sure, people might give em a second look the first time they see them, but, the new will fade quickly. Now if they were talking about moving to south Hopkins County or anywhere in Muhlenberg county then I might see it differently, but not Paducah.

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 09-24-2007 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-25-2007, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 20,628 times
That area has a lot of small minded people that are in charge that are racist and prejudice. Please read some of the other threads about racism and prejudice in Kentucky. I'm from Chicago and what I saw when I lived in Oakgrove/Hopkinsville, KY was unbelievable. Clarksville seemed slightly better.
I know when you need assistance from any state, city, or county goverment office or utility company. You hear very often from employees that "Kentucky is a common wealth not a state" which a gives them the right to restrict or give any form of service they please to whom they please.
Even if you have lived in other places and know that its not the case.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 20,628 times
And for a muslim there is no chance that you will be anonomys among the population. You will stand out and be noticed!!!!!!! Even if you don't want to.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwiger4u View Post
You hear very often from employees that "Kentucky is a common wealth not a state" which a gives them the right to restrict or give any form of service they please to whom they please.
I agree with some of your comments, but I'm not sure about this one. Certainly, legally speaking it is incorrect. And I've never heard any government official on any level assert such a thing.

Of course, I'm sure some non-government employees could say this and maybe even believe it. But from a legal perspective, there is no difference between a state and a commonwealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky