Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 PM

175 posts, read 260,916 times

Advertisements

We would like to build a new house in SE Ky. We didn't really want to use brick or log. Does anyone there use Stucco? Does it stand up to the hail? I know we dont want to do aluminum siding! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I can't really reply to the stucco, as I haven't seen much of that in my area. Board or masonary siding or board and batting homes have been used in the past here, and seem to be making a comeback. Please keep in mind that the summers can be hot and humid and the winters cold. I would think this would have an effect on stucco. If you want to go that route, do a lot of research.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
We would like to build a new house in SE Ky. We didn't really want to use brick or log. Does anyone there use Stucco? Does it stand up to the hail? I know we dont want to do aluminum siding! Thanks

What did you decode on? There aren't many stucco homes in KY.

Ever thought about vinyl siding?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,515 times
I'm not much for brick either, but like the look of painted brick. Brick is also like an extra layer of insulation over the framing. I know that the portion of our home that is brick is waaaaay cooler in summer/warmer in winter, than the part that is sided with vinyl.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Brick is most common here. It's more durable to the weather and of higher quality/resale value. Stucco is not a good choice because it's so moist here.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM

175 posts, read 260,916 times
That is interesting Pony about your brick. I have heard that too but not first hand from someone. We have been looking at the new PVC siding. It looks just like aluminum siding but you can get it in a wood grain look and different colors. The "guy" said it holds up lots better than stucco in a humid climate. And it could withstand hail and ice. That combined with brick I think would look good.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Probie, I'm in the other end of the state but we live in a 102 year old double brick home, meaning there are two layers of brick on the house. The temp today was in the low 80s and we had our front and back door open and the nicest breeze blew through the house all day. When we do have to use the air conditioner, we have one window unit that keeps the house comfortable. My wife has an illness where she can't get too hot and she's fine here.
EVA mentioned vinyl siding. That is great on a house since the color is in the vinyl and won't chip off like on aluminum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky