Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM

28 posts, read 102,561 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering a move from FL to either KY, TN, or AL for the same reasons as most: FL = expensive, high crime, heavy traffic, etc.

I have been trying to research potential locations and Jamestown has come up as a possibility. My husband would like to be near a sailable lake. Is that the case with Jamestown? We are also looking for safety, good schools, and a true mid/small sized town with its own identity (not a suberb), and friendly, accepting people. I don't like extreme cold, so I am looking toward the southern parts of KY.

I would appreciate any info you can give about Jamestown or other places that you think might be a good fit for us.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111tmw View Post
Hi,

I am considering a move from FL to either KY, TN, or AL for the same reasons as most: FL = expensive, high crime, heavy traffic, etc.

I have been trying to research potential locations and Jamestown has come up as a possibility. My husband would like to be near a sailable lake. Is that the case with Jamestown? We are also looking for safety, good schools, and a true mid/small sized town with its own identity (not a suberb), and friendly, accepting people. I don't like extreme cold, so I am looking toward the southern parts of KY.

I would appreciate any info you can give about Jamestown or other places that you think might be a good fit for us.

Thanks so much!!

Although Lake Cumberland is one of the largest lakes east of the Mississippi, it's not a very good sailing lake, especially for a larger sailboat. The widest portion of the lake near the dam is okay, but the main problem is chop from all the speed boats and massive house boats (some over 100 ft in length). In the other areas of the lake, the hills surrounding the lake edges might cut off windflow and make sailing more difficult. I'm not a sailor, though, so I can't say for certain.

Instead of Cumberland, you might consider towns near Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkley on the western side of the state. I'm not very familiar with that region, but those are the biggest lakes west of the Mississippi (other than the Great Lakes).

It may not be an issue for you, but keep in mind that about half the counties in Kentucky are dry (no alcohol), so that may be something you want consider before relocating.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
my husband and I are also thinking about moving to Lake cumberland/ Jamestown area. He is in school in orlando at MMI for marine mechanics. what is the job market like in Jamestown? housing costs? any help would be great. thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The job market is OK for things like retail or medical, but office jobs are almost non existent. I would think there would be some jobs in marine mechanics since Lake Cumberland draws millions of boaters each year, however I'd probably make sure he has a job here before moving.

The flip side of the job market there is that housing is extremely cheap. $55,000 would probably get you a 4 bedroom brick house in Russell County. You could probably rent a mobile home in the country from $300 and up per month.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
Default Looking for a new place to start a new life with my kids.

I am a single mother of 3 children recently divorced and I am looking for a new place to start a new life with my children. I am looking for a small town with not alot of people that is going to be affordable but still have something for my kids to do for fun. Is Jamestown a place I should consider? I am curious about the waiting list for section 8 because the money I come with has to last me until I can get a job and a paycheck. Which leads me to my next question. What is the job market like? I do not have a degree at all, I do however have my GED and several years of management experience in fast food although it has been several years since I worked, I was a stay at home mom (army wife) for 9 years. I would very much appreciate ANY information I could get, even phone numbers for the cabinet for families and children or community action, places I can call for assistance to see what programs Jamestown has to offer for someone in my position. Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,930 times
We just recently retired to Russell Springs right out side of Jamestown and really love it. Best to have a job before you move. Housing is very affordable and rent appears really inexpensive. I have not heard any complaints about the schools but we feel extremely safe here.

Patty

Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111tmw View Post
Hi,

Thanks so much!!
Morehead in Northeastern Ky. almost sounds like what you are looking for. Cave Run Lake (at least in lower part) is excellent sailing lake, is over 1/2 mile wide and you see lots of sailboats on it. Morehead is a university town, and is halfway between Lexington and Huntington, W.Va., and definitely is its own town. If sign entering Rowan County (where Morehead is county seat) is correct, its school district is in top 100 in country. Jamestown and Russell Springs, definitely nothing wrong with them, but are somewhat more isolated, if being "close" to cities your thing, Bowling Green 1 1/2 hour to west, about same distance to Lexington to the north, Knoxville about 2 hours southeast (and Gatlinburg about 45 minutes past there), Nashville about 1 hour past Bowling Green, Somerset (though not big city at all, does have mall and city-like things) 30 minutes to east, and London/Corbin area about 30 minutes east of Somerset, somewhat like Somerset. Speaking once again about Morehead, the climate might be slightly colder than Jamestown area of Ky., but would not be much, would probably need to go north of Ohio River to be considerably so and have much more snow (however freezing rain and sleet are a factor in much of Ky.). I believe Morehead is wet, I've seen alcohol served in restaurants there and have seen beer, etc. sold in stores and gas stations (I know nothing about bar scene there, though, since I don't frequent bars and nightclubs, can't say one way or the other).

Last edited by rxpwas; 11-18-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky